Nightfighter» Forums » General

Subject: Searchlights. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giorgos Giorgos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression is,after playing some solitaire scenarios,that searchlights are the most efficient way to locate and fix bombers.Unless I am playing wrong.
Most radars cannot fix bombers position,AI radars are a bit more strong tally attempts.
Searchlights can locate the exact position of a bomber in one turn.
So,searchlights are the most powerful weapon against bombers or I am playing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bosch
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
badge
In honour of the brave crew of Hr.Ms. Java 27-02-1942 † Battle of the Java Sea
mbmbmbmbmb
Searchlight zones are short so you want to use the radar to get a good firing position. There is little time to get into a firing position so it helps to know the whereabouts of the bomber before it hits the searchlight zone.

Using the original game rules you can operate the 2 radars in tandem to get a crosfix on a bomber. Look at the example on page 11. If the Würburg counter would have been 1 hex to the north you would have had 2 contact indications. The best case scenario with no other contacts on the other side of the Würburg would mean that the bomber can now be in 2 hexes, you need your Nightfighter to check these hexes. Next turn you move your radars down at the estimated speed of the intruder to maintain contact. (You could even use the Freya to locate a 2nd bomber if you are the gambling type)

If you use Philip Sabins excellent solo rules you can use the 2 different types of radar to eliminate phantom counters and refine the remaining contact to a tally (with the Würburg). I mainly use these rules because I lack a willing umpire player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgos Giorgos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Philip Sabin's solo rules.
So to clarify.
A high uncertainty bomber is at searchlight zones.
That means six MU bombers at six different searchlight zones.
At searchlight phase I test each of the six counters to see which is the MU counter.
When I find it I roll again for searchlight fix.
If I roll a 6 I know the exact position of the bomber.
When it is changing zones I roll for handoff.
If I succeed the fix continues.
If not it becomes a LU counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bosch
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
badge
In honour of the brave crew of Hr.Ms. Java 27-02-1942 † Battle of the Java Sea
mbmbmbmbmb
Georgiosa wrote:
I use Philip Sabin's solo rules.
So to clarify.
A high uncertainty bomber is at searchlight zones.
That means six MU bombers at six different searchlight zones.
At searchlight phase I test each of the six counters to see which is the MU counter.
When I find it I roll again for searchlight fix.
If I roll a 6 I know the exact position of the bomber.
When it is changing zones I roll for handoff.
If I succeed the fix continues.
If not it becomes a LU counter.

If you select to test a high uncertainty counter in a searchlight zone you get an automatic test for phantoms but every game turn you get 1 test per searchlight zone. The bomber counters will enter the J, K, L zone first. So if you did not eliminate phantom counters with radar searches beforehand you can now only check 3 out of 6 high uncertainty counters(HU) per turn.

The method you describe would only work on the border of 2 searchlight zones (so between J/M, K/N and L/O) or when not all HU counters enter the first searchlight zone in the same gameturn.

Things get better if there are less HU counters for a bomber. It goes like this. I mention the total HU counters for 1 bomber and the effect for the counter that is tested.

6 HU counters. On a 1 it becomes a MU counter otherwise Phantom
5 HU counters. On a 1 it becomes a MU counter reroll 6 otherwise Phantom
4 HU counters. On a 1 it becomes a MU counter reroll 5, 6 otherwise Phantom
3 HU counters. On a 1 or 2 it becomes a MU counter otherwise Phantom
2 HU counters. On a 1, 2 or 3 it becomes a MU counter otherwise Phantom

A MU counter result will get the searchlight fix test. Best case scenario is you get to roll 4 dice (good visibility with half or full moon or radar directed searchlights). You need to roll a 6.

You need a lot of luck to get your Nightfighter in a firing position when the fix can appear in the full width of your hunting zone. It's better to use the radar to eliminate some HU counters before they enter the searchlight zone. You will at the least eliminate 1 phantom with every radar search so why not concentrate on 1 side of the board and eliminate HU phantoms there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.