Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm toying around with the idea of a space game set in our own solar system. One of the key aspects of this game is that the planets, true to reality, orbit around the sun. I've devised a system of planetary movement that attempts to emulate how it really works in our own solar system, with some planets moving extremely fast (relatively speaking) while others will move very slow (again, relatively speaking). All of the planetary orbits in the game are based on how long it takes the real planets to get around the sun. For example it takes four complete rounds for the Earth to get around the sun, while it takes Mars more like 7. A more distant planet like Juptier advances only one position on its orbit every four rounds (four rounds make up 1 ingame earth year) while even more distant Saturn advances on it's planetary orbit track once every two years. In the game the planets past mars probably wont ever see a full revolution around the sun as that would make for a very long game. So, it's a rough idea as of now, but my basic premise is that by having planetary orbits in this game players will have to plan ahead and wait for Earth, Mars, and other planets to be in a good position to launch their spacecraft without having to waste precious rounds getting to where they want to go.

ANYWAY, more to the point: I was wondering if there are any other games out there that involve planets orbiting around a star, or perhaps games involving planetary motion in our own solar system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Cole
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
There was Buck Rogers in the 25th Century that had the planets out to Mars (and some asteroids) in motion around the Sun. It worked well for a unique movement system.

Forest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Any space games featuring planets orbiting around a star
Solar Space Maze has planetary movement, albeit not very realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the Attack Vector Tactical family has planetary motion involved, but I'm not sure which nor to what degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Galactic Starfire (the campaign version of Starfire) featured planets that could move around the stars. From what I remember, I don't believe planets moved during a scenario, but from one battle to another (which might be years apart), the planets' positions would change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlefleet: Mars by SPI (long OOP) had the inner solar system orbiting the sun. Movement from planet-to-planet made the player compensate for planetary movement during the game (real physics!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't really do this with any degree of realism. If the Earth is a pea, the Sun is a basketball 100 yards away, and even the largest spacestation (Death Star excluded) would be too small to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Lagduf wrote:
I'm toying around with the idea of a space game set in our own solar system. One of the key aspects of this game is that the planets, true to reality, orbit around the sun. I've devised a system of planetary movement that attempts to emulate how it really works in our own solar system, with some planets moving extremely fast (relatively speaking) while others will move very slow (again, relatively speaking). All of the planetary orbits in the game are based on how long it takes the real planets to get around the sun. For example it takes four complete rounds for the Earth to get around the sun, while it takes Mars more like 7. A more distant planet like Juptier advances only one position on its orbit every four rounds (four rounds make up 1 ingame earth year) while even more distant Saturn advances on it's planetary orbit track once every two years. In the game the planets past mars probably wont ever see a full revolution around the sun as that would make for a very long game. So, it's a rough idea as of now, but my basic premise is that by having planetary orbits in this game players will have to plan ahead and wait for Earth, Mars, and other planets to be in a good position to launch their spacecraft without having to waste precious rounds getting to where they want to go.

ANYWAY, more to the point: I was wondering if there are any other games out there that involve planets orbiting around a star, or perhaps games involving planetary motion in our own solar system.

Just a thought If you dont want to make it too long, why dont you shorten the time length each turn equals, instead of 4 turns for an earth year, have 2 or 1 and that would speed up planetary movement quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark ma wrote:
You can also add engines to small moons to take them out of orbit and try to send them crashing down on your opponent's home planet.

Now that's a theme I could get behind devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Tinker
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Know the Stars and PlanetsThere's an old Milton Bradley Triva game about our solar system.
Only a passing connection to your theme, but don't step on their copyright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
The Air-Eaters Strike Back!

This very neat old Metagaming title has planets that move in their orbits during the game: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, and Jupiter. It also attempts to model some aspects of orbital maneuvering in an abstract way.

It's a lot of fun to play, and the ever-changing map as the planets move in their orbits adds a lot of color and interest to the game.

In the photo above, the solar system display is in the upper right part of the map. The left side of the map shows surface maps for various planets and moons.

Stewart Woods wrote:
Mark ma wrote:
You can also add engines to small moons to take them out of orbit and try to send them crashing down on your opponent's home planet.

Now that's a theme I could get behind devil

You've got it here as well: the aliens can maneuver asteroids out of the asteroid belt and crash them into the Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
ekted wrote:
You can't really do this with any degree of realism. If the Earth is a pea, the Sun is a basketball 100 yards away, and even the largest spacestation (Death Star excluded) would be too small to see.

As with any game, a certain level of abstraction is required. I'm more than aware of the difficulty in creating a scale model of the solar system but that isn't my intent. I simply thought it would be interesting to to create a game about exploration/scientific development/economics in our solar system where a central feature was planetary motion around the sun.

And admittedly the mechanisms I have devised for moving planets along their orbital tracks are simple - perhaps even rudimentary. As far as realism is concerned I simply want the planets to move around the Sun at a pace that reflects how it actually works in outer space. Does that not account for any degree of realism? Certainly it is more "realistic" than if I had Neptune orbiting the sun 5 times for every 1 time Mercury did. Then again i'm dealing with a theme of intersolar space travel, something that at this point in our technological development isn't even possible (i'm still waiting for Warp technology to be developed in the 2060s)

And again, obviously we are dealing with massive distances here, and my map/gameboard of the Solar System features hexes that in the inner solar system that represent a distance of about .5 AU across. Once you get past Mars, the hexes progressively represent larger distances. You have hexes representing 1.5 AU across up to Jupiter, from Jupiter to Saturn the distances and so on and so forth, with the outer ring of hexes around the solar system representing a distance of 20 AU.

Whether this will work or not, we'll see. But i'm just fooling around at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
richfam wrote:
The Air-Eaters Strike Back!

This very neat old Metagaming title has planets that move in their orbits during the game: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, and Jupiter. It also attempts to model some aspects of orbital maneuvering in an abstract way.

It's a lot of fun to play, and the ever-changing map as the planets move in their orbits adds a lot of color and interest to the game.

In the photo above, the solar system display is in the upper right part of the map. The left side of the map shows surface maps for various planets and moons.

This just goes to show that if you think you have thought up something original, then somebody has probably thought it up already. Of course, the whole reason i created this thread was because I knew there were probably some games out there that featured this concept.

In a striking similarity to Air-Eaters Strike Back my gameboard features a map of the solar system on one part and I was debating doing something very similar to the little terrain maps of the different planets like in Air-Eaters Strike Back.

I'll have to look into this game.

jamesdavis wrote:

Just a thought If you dont want to make it too long, why dont you shorten the time length each turn equals, instead of 4 turns for an earth year, have 2 or 1 and that would speed up planetary movement quite a bit.

Well each turn, which represents, 1 earth year, would be divided into 4 Rounds (each round equal to three earth months). During each Round every player would be able to do a limited number of actions. It would be at the start of each round that the Venus, Earth, and Mars would move one position on their orbital path. Of course Mercury is a sticky situation since it orbits the sun about every 88 days IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Buck Rogers Game, a subtle difference exist between a planets inner orbit (which travels with the planet its travel around the sun) and its outer orbit (which is the solar system space touching the inner orbit).

To fly off a planet, you take off, enters inner orbit, then outer orbit, and then do your travel troughout space.

One of the special rules is the s(l)inkshot rule.
To gain extra speed during space travel, your fighters may dive to a planet or even the sun, to use their gravity to gain speed as they dive to the planet, and use the rotation and their on speed to escape the planet shortly after. the result is you may start over with counting your movement points...
But their is a risk ofcourse, so you need to throw a die to verify the success of the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blast-Off! was based in our solar system, but as far as I recall, it was only the moon that orbited - the rest of the planets' locations were static. It did, however, mean that it was very important to time launches to co-incide with the moon's orbit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I simply thought it would be interesting to to create a game about exploration/scientific development/economics in our solar system where a central feature was planetary motion around the sun.

Sounds cool. Good luck. I'm sure you know that T^2 = r^3 but I wanted to feel like I had something to add...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
statman8 wrote:
Battlefleet: Mars by SPI (long OOP) had the inner solar system orbiting the sun. Movement from planet-to-planet made the player compensate for planetary movement during the game (real physics!).

I'm not sure "inner solar system" is the correct discription...the map goes out to Jupiter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the first thing I thought of when I saw the question was a computer game, Titan Empire. It had both planetary orbits and those of some of the moons around the planets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_Empire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

I don't think the OP is talking about making counters to scale with each other, or even distances on the map being correct relative to each other. It's a concern, but it's not the only way to do it.

SPI's Battlefleet Mars has a map that accurately portrays the relative distances of the planets, up through Jupiter. The catch is that you don't make a map covering the entire orbit of Jupiter - just a portion of its orbit. Since Jupiter takes nearly twelve years to get around the Sun, this shouldn't pose a problem for any game covering, say, only 1 or 2 Earth years.

Alternatively, you could dispense with absolute measurement of distances altogether, and go instead with something such as "Transit Boxes", with the appropriate number of boxes needing to be moved through, in order to get one of the planets, at any particular time. You could map x number of years for relative distance between the planets in advance, and have a schedule identifying the number of transit boxes required to get from any planet to any other, without the need for a map at all.

Battlefleet Mars actually uses both of these concepts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:

That's the first game I thought of as well. While the game has some pretty neat ideas, I found gameplay too much work without enough reward. A better examples of spaceship maneuvering is Triplanetary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wes,

As well as "Battlefleet Mars" and "Buck Rogers in 25th Century" already mentioned, you could also check out the wonderous "Rocket Flight" from Sierra Madre Games, though like the previous two I suspect this is no longer in print. There is also "Final Frontier" from Fiery Dragon/Counterstrike. Sadly this games is not really up to much, but the planetary display and movement mechanics are excellent. And finally, if it ever sees the light of day, the proposal from Ad Astra Games "High Trader" would be superb (an opinion based solely on the fact it is a newer/updated version of "Rocket Flight")

Hasta etc,

Stuart.

PS I love Solar System planetary games and have toyed with my own. If you would like some of my musings/creations/solutions, drop me a line and I'll be happy to share them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Johnson
United States
Williamsport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh, Solarquest is really "Space Monopoly" but the board is great and it represents our solar system circa 1985, with longer travel times around the larger planets (the sun didn't have any apparent game use though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.