Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw a good deal on this so decided to pick it up since it sounds like fun and will soon be OOP. Read through the rules and did the tutorial, and am still not fully sure I understand engage and shadow zones.

1. Are all heroes considered engaged with monsters in the shadow zone?

2a. Let's say I'm using the Warrior Priest basic attack card. It says I can exhaust another action card to target 1 additional enemy and apply +1 success. If I have 1 enemy in front of me, does that mean I bring another to me from the shadow zone (or do I just attack it in the shadow zone)?

2b. Let's say I have 0 in front of me, can I bring 2 in from the shadow zone (or do I attach them in the shadow zone)?

3a. Do figures in the shadow zone still attack during the enemy phase? Do they have to move in/engage a hero, or are they already engaged even though they are in the shadow zone (kind of the reverse of question 1)?

3b. The Giant Bat has "retreat" and "inflict" in the effect bar. Given this order, it sounds like it can attack from the shadow zone, correct?

Any general description about what heroes can attack (engaged vs. in shadow zone), and what monsters can attack heroes (engaged vs. in shadow zone) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No
2a. You may bring one more enemy form shadows or from other player
3a. They should be opened and then follow the actions on their card. Some of them will advance to heroes engagement zone, some will attack from shadows
3b. Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El_Tonio wrote:
Saw a good deal on this so decided to pick it up since it sounds like fun and will soon be OOP. Read through the rules and did the tutorial, and am still not fully sure I understand engage and shadow zones.

1. Are all heroes considered engaged with monsters in the shadow zone?

No, none of them are. If a hero is engaged with a monster, you place the monster in the area close to the hero. Only these monsters are engaged with the hero.

2a. Let's say I'm using the Warrior Priest basic attack card. It says I can exhaust another action card to target 1 additional enemy and apply +1 success. If I have 1 enemy in front of me, does that mean I bring another to me from the shadow zone (or do I just attack it in the shadow zone)?

No, to move a monster would need the keyword ENGAGE. To target an additional monster, both monsters would already have to be in the priests engagement zone.

2b. Let's say I have 0 in front of me, can I bring 2 in from the shadow zone (or do I attach them in the shadow zone)?

You can only engage one monster with the priest. Compare with the Ironbreaker.

3a. Do figures in the shadow zone still attack during the enemy phase? Do they have to move in/engage a hero, or are they already engaged even though they are in the shadow zone (kind of the reverse of question 1)?

Yes they attack. Resolve the actions on the monstercard from left to right. Some engage (advance), some don't.

3b. The Giant Bat has "retreat" and "inflict" in the effect bar. Given this order, it sounds like it can attack from the shadow zone, correct?

Correct. Monsters in general can inflict from the shadow zone.

Any general description about what heroes can attack (engaged vs. in shadow zone), and what monsters can attack heroes (engaged vs. in shadow zone) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Heroes can attack monsters in their engagement zone. To attack monsters elsewhere, the attack has to be a RANGED attack. Before the ATTACK keyword however, heroes get the chance to engage 1 or more enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you. Just to confirm based on the last point made (and the answer to 2a in the previous post)...

Let's say the Warrior Priest currently has no enemies in front of him (but there is one in the shadows and one in front of another player).

Since his attack cards starts with "you may engage one enemy," that mean he would get to take a monster from the shadows (or from in front of another player) so he could engage/fight it on his turn... correct? So, as long as fighting is not exhausted and there are monsters available somewhere, he has the ability to engage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
El_Tonio wrote:
Thanks to both of you. Just to confirm based on the last point made (and the answer to 2a in the previous post)...

Let's say the Warrior Priest currently has no enemies in front of him (but there is one in the shadows and one in front of another player).

Since his attack cards starts with "you may engage one enemy," that mean he would get to take a monster from the shadows (or from in front of another player) so he could engage/fight it on his turn... correct? So, as long as fighting is not exhausted and there are monsters available somewhere, he has the ability to engage.

Yes, when an action tells you to engage an enemy you "pull" an enemy to your side, either from the shadows or from another hero's engagement zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, technically the priest could do the following with his attack card:

Engage one monster: assuming he has 2 or fewer monsters already engaged, engage 1 monster from the shadows - i.e. pull one enemy card from the shadows into his player area.

Perform his attack: Roll the dice and apply successes as damage according to the rules (i.e. pick a (single) target and apply damage)

Exhaust 1 additional action card to target 1 other enemy and put one success on it: At this point the priest may pick a second target he is engaged with and apply one success as damage, observing all relevant rules about resiliency (or whatever armor is called - I'm still learning the terminology)

Did I get all that right?

Also, I don't think I picked it up from the rule book, but someone on this thread (edit: That would be Panos, directly above me blush )mentioned using Engage to pull an enemy from one hero to another. Is this a legal move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ENGAGEing an enemy from another player is indeed legal.

BEFORE rolling your dice you have to decide if you want to exhaust another card to ATTACK more than one enemy, and BEFORE rolling your dice you have to decide which enemies your attack targets.

Successe are placed on your card (in this case the ATTACK card, not directly on the enemy. The extra succes you get still has to pass any resilience first, it is not automatic damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mad Math wrote:
BEFORE rolling your dice you have to decide if you want to exhaust another card to ATTACK more than one enemy, and BEFORE rolling your dice you have to decide which enemies your attack targets.

In your example, attacking and targeting an enemy are the exact same thing.

Snardo wrote:
So, technically the priest could do the following with his attack card:

Engage one monster: assuming he has 2 or fewer monsters already engaged, engage 1 monster from the shadows - i.e. pull one enemy card from the shadows into his player area.

Perform his attack: Roll the dice and apply successes as damage according to the rules (i.e. pick a (single) target and apply damage)

Exhaust 1 additional action card to target 1 other enemy and put one success on it: At this point the priest may pick a second target he is engaged with and apply one success as damage, observing all relevant rules about resiliency (or whatever armor is called - I'm still learning the terminology)

Did I get all that right?

Also, I don't think I picked it up from the rule book, but someone on this thread (edit: That would be Panos, directly above me blush )mentioned using Engage to pull an enemy from one hero to another. Is this a legal move?

First you decide if you want to exhaust an action and target another enemy engaged to you and then roll the dice. The total damage is divided as you choose on the enemies you targeted.
Yes, it is not explicitly addressed in the rulebook but you can engage an enemy from another character. That way you can finish off an already damaged enemy or try to protect an overburdened ally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.