Champions of Midgard» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rulebook Oct 2016 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought I would post that we recently bought this game in October 2016, and it looks like it includes the most recent rulebook that is also listed in the files section. We were able to read the rules easily and play the game. From scanning other posts, this rule book adds a few pages compared to previous editions.

We did not need to look up any of the rules, and from what I can tell we played this game correctly the first time through, which I think says a lot for a game!

Great game, I am glad we bought it, and for the price ($37), I think we got quite a bit of game! We never played Lords of Waterdeep, the game it is apparently always compared too, but based on our experience of played games, we thought this game was a bit like Eldritch Horror meets Marco Polo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trigonomical wrote:
...we thought this game was a bit like Eldritch Horror meets Marco Polo.
Wait...what? I kind of understand then EH comparison in the "roll to defeat" mechanic, but Marco Polo?

Also, if you've played MP I don't think LoW (which I like better with the expansion than CoM) is going to be much fun, heck I'm surprised you even enjoyed CoM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should qualify my comparison by saying based on the games we own and play, I would compare CoM to those two. We do not own a lot of games with dice mechanics and battling mechanics; we have never played LoW or Stone Age. I would consider Marco Polo better than CoM, but I don't want that to deter from this game being good and thematic.

For Marco Polo and CoM, its one of the few games with dice that I think were dynamic and versatile. I like how you gain dice in both games, there is the worker placement element, and the secret scoring opportunities at the end of the game. Also the character powers in CoM all seemed to be pretty interesting and relevant.

Eldritch Horror, I suppose its a thematic similarity. I like the thrill of traveling to kill monsters, and gaining rewards. I had the same sense of accomplishment taking down a monster with both games.

I really just wanted to make a post about how much the rules must have been improved, because we had no issues. I guess I sort of wandered into a different topic unintentionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's fair. However, now that you mention it I think I would like CoM much better if it was a dice placement game, like Marco Polo, instead of a dice-acquiring and dice-rolling to decide game.

Something like Discoveries (which I recommend) with monsters instead of the missions (journal entries) and Vikings as dice would be really good.

Any designer out there wants to jump on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N THIS sounds cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.