Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Ashby
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, look, don't get me wrong, I LIKE the game, more or less.
But for christsakes people, a Quest's "Difficulty" SHOULD NOT EXIST.
The fact that it does is a design oversight IMO, but I digress.
It irritates the hell out of me when various people make refrence to it, like it's a good thing.
The "Difficulty" of a quest is simply the ammount of imbalance inherent in the quest between the Overlord player and the Hero players. So please, cut it out.

GAAAAAGH.
zombie

Ok, that's better.
Feel free to disagree by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Paxil or Lithium.

Dr. Dave Kudzma GaP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you ever see the game "Doom" sitting on a shelf in your FLGS, run.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect games with these many variables to be "balanced," and since there will be a natural imbalance... well I like the idea of "difficulty" ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Ashby
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you all make valid points.
First, i'm reffering to a deliberate effort on a quest designer's part to unbalance the quest in favour of the OL.

Now, this would make sense in Descent were a type of Pseudo-RPG, and it's fine if you and your group play it like that. However, from a strategic/tactical boardgame perspective, the very concept make no sense.

I'll still play Descent, but only after I've designed some "balanced" quests (as much as one can, at any rate).

I'll probably be sticking with Dungeon Bash for the most part, which seems to capture the delicious essence of both styles of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike jones
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Asside from the questions about the town, this is one of my biggest learning interests about Descent (an' part of why I really love it.) How do I build a balanced quest?

Since my group choses everything by die rolls (Overlord and characters) There really isn't anyone who is going to make an intentionally unbalanced scenario and it seems EVERYone I play with fancies themselves designers. That's great, I just wish there was a system for actually creating a balanced scenario.

I have wondered about maybe using a points sytem for the monsters and treasures, It helps that the number of figures you have can point you towards equality too, but the floorplan affects the balance as well and that is a bit more difficult for me to come up with a sytem for.

Are there any sytems out there that anyone uses that turn out consistently balanced games?

Are there any user-submitted scenarios that anyone has found to be really balanced?

Most importantly....
Has ANYone ever kept Landrec "The Wise" (I like to call him "Target") alive through the second room? (of any quest....) cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.