12 Posts

Roots of Mali» Forums » Rules

Subject: Leaping over other figures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Wegener
Germany
flag msg tools
When a figure leaps over other figures (for example the torch bearer or the shadow runner), does the jump have to be in a straight direction over the figures or can I jump "around the corner" over them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging from the wording in the German rulebook, it states "[...] may perform one movement or attack over [...]", so I would go with a straight line, because otherwise, I would no longer consider it one movement or attack only, but rather several ones.
The English rulebook, however, does not allow this conclusion.

I am interested in the designer's opinion on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Wegener
Germany
flag msg tools
One of the designer explained the game to us in Essen, and I thought that in his examples he leaped over figures doing also corner jumps. But I am not sure anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bujar Haskaj
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Hi Markus,

Thanks for your Question. The Torch Barear can move or attack over the creatures from Level 1,2 and 6. Just them. No other Levels. And yes he can do it also over corners. For a better imagination, think its something like a road

and don't forget to remove all the creatures back to your reserve which you jumped over.

Best regards and a good game
Bujar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Wegener
Germany
flag msg tools
Thx very much for your reply. The game is awesome so far!
And when a shadow runner moves or attacks over another shadow runner, can he also make corner jumps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bujar Haskaj
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Thx, its a honor to hear that.

A shadowrunner can move or attack just straight through ONE other own shadowrunner.

And don't forget, if you did it, you get an extra movement or attack!

Best wishes
Bujar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Wegener
Germany
flag msg tools
Thx, perfect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Wegener
Germany
flag msg tools
Wait, now I am confused. In the manual it says, you only get the extra action when you go over the side boarder, not for just jumping over another shadow runner. (But that they can be combined)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bujar Haskaj
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Exactly! Just if you move over the sides!

Excuse me if i confused you. I was with my minds in the of comination.
Its my most prefered action to suprise my oppenent on this way

Best regards
Bujar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Garber
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
For the shadow runner, you can only take an extra action after jumping another shadow runner if they started at the same row height on the board, but on opposite edges, correct? If they're at different row heights, it takes 1 action to move to the other board edge, and then 1 action to leap the other shadow runner, but then you are out of actions.

That is probably obvious, just want to be sure ^ _ ^

Also, just FYI when we first read the rulebook we were taking the extra action every time we jumped a shadow runner (rather than every time we went over the board edge) so it might be good to make that a little clearer! That was way too powerful so we knew something we wrong ; )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bujar Haskaj
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Thanks for Writing. For your Information, we are rewriting the rulebook and upload it soon on our Website. The you can download it, print it, and put it in the Box

Back to your question:

The Shadow Runner can just take an extra Action after move or attack over the sides.

By move or attack throgh an other own shadow runner you do not get an extra Action.

So what happens if ther my two shadow runners stay in the same row and on both edges from the battelfield, and i want move through the sides.

Then first you move 1 Shadow runner on the other side, then directly through the shadow runner who stay there (straight), then you get your extra Action. This is one way how you can Combine it. After some battel you will learn more about the shadow runner and how fast he can be

Cheers
Bujar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Garber
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
A re-write of the rulebook, just to be a little clearer, sounds really great!! I will happily download and print it out = ). The main thing that I think that needs clarifying is the Torch jumps, but having the Shadow Walker jump also be a little more clearly described would be excellent.

You have answered my questions, and I will give the starting position of double Shadow Walkers a try! But I am not sure they will replace the Protectress / Mali combination as my favorite way to start the game ; )

Cheers for your fast responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.