Popular Tags: [View All]
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How does this work.

On the Initiative table on R13 it states:

Initiative player rolls 2d6. Subtract the following for initiative player add for the non initiative player.

So lets assume I'm the allies and I roll 2d6 - What am I adding and subtracting? - and as important how did you work it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets say the Allies had the initiative the previous turn, they are the initiative player. They roll 2d6, subtracting 2 if the WDF unit is in play and adding 2 if Kasta is in play; they can cancel each other out. If the Allies have air superiority, subtract the difference from the 2d6 roll. If the Axis have air superiority, add the difference to the roll. If the Allies choose to use Ultra for initiative, then they subtract 1/2 1d6 (RFU) from the roll. The final modified roll is checked on the table on R13. The result can be surprise (either side, depending on the roll), same (i.e., initiative stays the same, in this case with the Allies), or changes (Axis is now the initiative player).

Air superiority is calculated simply by the number of air units a side has in play. If an air unit has been tasked with an air superiority mission, it counts as two units. The side with the higher total has air superiority and applies the difference in its favor during initiative checks.

ULTRA, if available, can be committed to one of three actions during the Events Phase of the turn. If the action chosen is initiative, the Allies roll 1d6, halved (RFU), and apply it in their favor to the initiative roll.

The WDF modifier is applied as long as the WDF unit is on the map; the WDF is manadatorily replaced when the 8th Army arrives.

Kasta becomes available to the Axis as part of the reinforcements for AX5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
They roll 2d6, subtracting 2 if the WDF unit is in play and adding 2 if Kasta is in play.

Sorry but how are you concluding that the allies would subtract 2 for WDF, rather than add 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The DRM for the WDF is negative if the Allies have initiative, positive if the Axis has initiative, per 3.4 and the table on R13.

The WDF represents O'Connor and the advantage the CW had over the Italians in the first part of the war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
The DRM for the WDF is negative if the Allies have initiative, positive if the Axis has initiative, per 3.4 and the table on R13.

Mike, thanks for your comments but I'm really struggling with this.

For example the table on 3.4 states: 'Axis Advantage 2 if Kasta in Play' how do you determine if you add or subtract the 2?

'Allied Advantage 2 if WDF in play' - again how do you determine if you add or subtract this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The determination to add or subtract a modifier depends on who has the initiative. Having Kasta in play is advantageous to the Axis. If the Axis had the initiative last turn and are rolling now to determine it, they would subtract 2--this makes it more likely for them to retain the initiative for this turn.

If the Allies had the initiative last turn, the Allies are rolling this turn and would add 2 to the roll for Kasta. This makes it more likely initiative will shift to the Axis.

You'll note from the table that it is easier for the Axis to gain and retain the initiative, modifiers being equal.

So, for the side that is rolling, advantageous modifiers are subtracted. Advantageous modifiers for your opponent are added to the roll.

Hope that makes more sense!

This took a few looks when I was first reading the rules. Didn't click until I had thought about it for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll note that Kasta and WDF might (and probably will) offset one another, at least for a few turns. Historically, WDF was eliminated in combat and wasn't rebuilt before its mandatory upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.