$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Protected valley card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Does the oxygen level rise twice? Once for the card and once due to the tile?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan St. John
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No. If the oxygen level was to be increased twice, it would show the oxygen symbol a second time.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rsj77 wrote:
No. If the oxygen level was to be increased twice, it would show the oxygen symbol a second time.


I really wish they had unified the way they presented the actions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Nordstrand
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
badge
reviews.takras.net for board game reviews
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
rsj77 wrote:
No. If the oxygen level was to be increased twice, it would show the oxygen symbol a second time.


I really wish they had unified the way they presented the actions.


I had the exact same issue/argument in the game I had.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Imma post this in EVERY thread where this comes up now:

Unlike increasing temp or placing an ocean, placing a greenery tile actually does two separate things: Place a greenery tile (which may get you placement bonuses depending on where you put it and whether there are oceans next to your chosen spot), and then increase oxygen, unless that is already maxed. (If you do increase O2, then that of course leads to a TR increase as well, as per the standard rules for increasing global parameters.)

Therefore, it makes sense that "place a greenery tile" and "increase oxygen 1 step" are both mentioned on the card.

Just look at the greenery icon and the little +O2 icon as two separate icons for two separate things, and the whole thing makes perfect sense. meeple

I understand how this seems confusing to a lot of people, but once you wrap your head around it, I really don't find it inconsistent at all, quite the contrary actually.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Snapshot wrote:
Therefore, it makes sense that "place a greenery tile" and "increase oxygen 1 step" are both mentioned on the card.

Just look at the greenery icon and the little +O2 icon as two separate icons for two separate things, and the whole thing makes perfect sense. meeple

I understand how this seems confusing to a lot of people, but once you wrap your head around it, I really don't find it inconsistent at all, quite the contrary actually.


I don't think the language you are using has the intended effect.

On the card that talks about what you do when placing a greenery tile you say increase O2.

Then you say it again on the card that says to place a greenery tile.
Making it sound like "do it once because that's what you do every time you place greenery and once because this card tells you."

To be clearer the card should have no extra damned text, or refer to the standard procedure, instead of sounding like something extra you do because of the card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Walsfeo wrote:
To be clearer the card should have no extra damned text, or refer to the standard procedure, instead of sounding like something extra you do because of the card.


It's pretty clear that the oxygen increase isn't extra. The card even uses the same symbol as the standard projects.
If you just look at the info you have, and think about it for a second, it should easily be clear how the card works. (Some transfer shouldn't be difficult)


That said, it's sad the card doesn't clarify that the oxygen increase is part of the action. Something like "Place a greenery. This includes the usual oxygen increase."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Faerun wrote:


Does the oxygen level rise twice? Once for the card and once due to the tile?

Thanks!


Once. For the same price (23) that you would pay to place a greenery tile and raise oxygen (which you always do in/after a greenery tile placement unless O2 is at 14%), you also get to raise your income by 2 and get a plant tag and building tag. The text mimics the symbols precisely.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Smith
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grammatoncleric wrote:

Once. For the same price (23) that you would pay to place a greenery tile and raise oxygen (which you always do in/after a greenery tile placement unless O2 is at 14%), you also get to raise your income by 2 and get a plant tag and building tag. The text mimics the symbols precisely.


Do is still get +1 TR for playing this card since the O2 went up?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
gr8osiris wrote:
grammatoncleric wrote:

Once. For the same price (23) that you would pay to place a greenery tile and raise oxygen (which you always do in/after a greenery tile placement unless O2 is at 14%), you also get to raise your income by 2 and get a plant tag and building tag. The text mimics the symbols precisely.


Do is still get +1 TR for playing this card since the O2 went up?


Yes, you ALWAYS get +1 TR for raising a global paramater. This won't be specifically outlined on the card again.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grammatoncleric wrote:
The text mimics the symbols precisely.


Not just mimics, explains exactly! The symbols = the text, the text = the symbols. It's even called in the rulebook, page 12.

Rulebook wrote:
Suggestions
If you don’t understand the symbols - read the explanation
in parenthesis on the card, or see page 14 & 15 in this
rulebook.


The text on the cards is not "in addition to the symbols".
The text on the cart specifies exactly what to do.

It strikes me that many have asked if they are supposed to bump O2 twice, because the symbol is on the tile and because the text is on the card, yet no one has asked if M€ goes up by 4, since the symbol is on the card, and the text calls it out. whistle

Great game, looking forward to my next run of it. Trying to convince myself I don't need the metal cubes on the BGG store to replace the plastic cubes, even though the color match nearly identical, and the metal cubes probably won't slide as much, and the weight, oh, the weight... I think I'm going to lose that battle.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.