Subject: Which should I buy? Star Wars Risk or Race for the Galaxy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Kanady
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
I've got attached coupon to a place that has both as their only good games that I don't own and can only afford one. I honestly can't decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Risk: Star Wars Edition is a great game going for just $8 at GameStop right now. I'd get both.

Risk: Star Wars Edition (assuming that's the one you're talking about) is not Risk, it's Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit streamlined and is 80% off until they're gone. A great pickup at GameStop. Use your coupon for Race, hit GameStop on the way home. That's one hell of a trip.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Race is my second favorite euro and I have no interest in risk when ffg exists...

So I'd vote for race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is one of my favorites. If you have the patience to learn the iconography (it took my 76-year-old mother just one play to figure it out), it's a great game to whip out for 2 players. I don't enjoy it as much at higher player counts. You can get a lot of plays out of the base game before feeling the need for any expansions.

The Keldon AI is also a fantastic way to learn the cards and flow of the game before bringing it to the table.

Haven't played Star Wars Risk, so I can't comment on it. If you're a huge Star Wars fan, there are better themed games out there; they just cost a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Who are you going to play the game with?

If it's a casual player (eg. your kids), then Risk.

If you have a regular gaming group of hobby gamers, then Race.

Taking a look at your game list, it looks like you like card interaction (eg. Star Realms, Magic) more than area control games, so Race would otherwise be a better game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanady
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, none of my Gamestops are awesome enough it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ask them to ship one in. That's what I'm doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking here for the most part is going to be somewhat a popularity contest, which will basically mirror the rankings.

Which one should you get? Obviously Star Wars. devil Fun game that can be enjoyed by all levels of gamers. But, that's because I like the C&C system that this is very similar to and I personally disliked Race a lot. Others (more) will give the opposite opinion.

Which one should you get? You can answer that one. Read the top three and bottom three comments of each game (that has more than 5 words). Then decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No contest, definitely Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Risk is great for playing with a kid (8-10 years old). The board and the cards are poor quality, but for a good price, it's good to have.

Race for the Galaxy takes some time to get into - but offers a lot of replayability. It just seems to be a bit difficult to find someone to play, because I often had to either teach someone the game (which is a pain in the neck) or play against someone who totally crushed me, because he knew the game so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan García
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is one of my favorite games, I think is more complex though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Can somebody please identify the "Star Wars Risk" we're talking about? Searching for that title returns five results, including a bootleg. Two of them are 10+ years old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these are two very different games. I think you just need to evaluate what kind of gaming experience you want. If you want a lighter, area control game where you have some battles and push some miniature plastic figures around, then you should go for Risk. If you are looking to play and evaluate cards and determine how to best use them to your benefit while trying to predict what other opponents are going to be doing, then Race would be better. As you can see though, they are two very different games whose only real similarity is being in space. I think you just need to evaluate what kind of game you want more. Right now I think you are comparing apples and oranges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never wanted to try Race since I heard the iconography is so hard to learn. I hear it's fun and plays fast.
I've played Star Wars: Risk (or as it should have been named "Star Wars: Battle of Endor") and love it! I've played several times, it's always gone over well, it's NOTHING like Risk at all in the slightest. They both have dice and plastic parts, that's it. It's a unique game, easy to teach, and plays in an hour or less easily.
Having never played Race, I really don't know what to tell you, I can only comment that Star Wars Risk was a surprise in how fun it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
themaster408 wrote:
I've never wanted to try Race since I heard the iconography is so hard to learn.

You'll here that a lot on BGG. I've never heard it at the gaming table, despite playing Race with a couple of dozen different people. There are icons, yes, true. The basic ones are all listed on a "cheat sheet" that comes with the games. All the complex ones have text on the card that say exactly what they do. I've never met anyone who had the slightest problem. Most people only need the cheat sheet for the first two or three games.

Quote:
I hear it's fun and plays fast.

Good players can rattle through a game in about 20 mins. Expect to take about an hour till you get it down.

Race is probably my favourite "modern" game. An absolute classic.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
themaster408 wrote:
I've never wanted to try Race since I heard the iconography is so hard to learn.

You'll here that a lot on BGG. I've never heard it at the gaming table

I've heard it at my gaming table plenty. Sometimes it wasn't me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
therealbuserian wrote:
themaster408 wrote:

You'll here that a lot on BGG. I've never heard it at the gaming table

I've heard it at my gaming table plenty. Sometimes it wasn't me.

I've heard it also at the gaming table (with non-newbies)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Can somebody please identify the "Star Wars Risk" we're talking about? Searching for that title returns five results, including a bootleg. Two of them are 10+ years old.

Risk: Star Wars Edition
It says 10+, but the community says 6+. From my own experience, it was really easy to teach it to 7 year old kids and they really liked it.

I doubt if it has enough meat to keep adults happy for more than 5 or 6 games. But with kids, it's always great - especially because the rebel-side has some big advantages. So if the adult plays the dark side, it's quite a challange to win the game - even against 7 year olds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
themaster408 wrote:

You'll here that a lot on BGG. I've never heard it at the gaming table, despite playing Race with a couple of dozen different people.

We don't make up stuff here just for the sake of it. I was at a Con where a group grabbed the game and then maybe 10 minutes later put it back realizing they didn't want to deal with the learning of it. I felt lost in my first play of it. By the third I felt like I was finally getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
matthean wrote:
therealbuserian wrote:
themaster408 wrote:

You'll here that a lot on BGG. I've never heard it at the gaming table, despite playing Race with a couple of dozen different people.

We don't make up stuff here just for the sake of it. I was at a Con where a group grabbed the game and then maybe 10 minutes later put it back realizing they didn't want to deal with the learning of it. I felt lost in my first play of it. By the third I felt like I was finally getting it.

I still need to relearn it each time, because I only play it about once a year. It's definitely a game that's best learned with a seasoned player at the table.

If I played it on a regular basis I'm sure I'd have it burned in and it would be easy. It's like what they say about MacOS -- "it's completely intuitive once you take the time to learn it!"

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
We don't make up stuff here just for the sake of it.

I'm sure you don't. I just find the claim that "the iconography is so difficult" to be bizarre, given that (a) I've never seen someone have this problem, (b) the explanations of what they mean are either on the cheat sheet or on the card itself, and (c) I haven't seen this complaint about other games with similarly complex iconography, e.g. Dungeon Lords, most of the Tiny Epic series, ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
I just find the claim that "the iconography is so difficult" to be bizarre, given that (a) I've never seen someone have this problem, (b) the explanations of what they mean are either on the cheat sheet or on the card itself, and (c) I haven't seen this complaint about other games with similarly complex iconography, e.g. Dungeon Lords, most of the Tiny Epic series, ...

Maybe you only play with really clever people, but even if so: Take a look at reviews and comments and you sure will find out that there are tons of people struggling with the iconography. It really is a common issue with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowpass wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Risk: Star Wars Edition
It says 10+, but the community says 6+. From my own experience, it was really easy to teach it to 7 year old kids and they really liked it.

I doubt if it has enough meat to keep adults happy for more than 5 or 6 games. But with kids, it's always great - especially because the rebel-side has some big advantages. So if the adult plays the dark side, it's quite a challange to win the game - even against 7 year olds.

Well if you were to believe the 'community', it also says it;s good for adults too.

Haven't had experience playing this with kids, but us adults have fun with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lowpass wrote:
therealbuserian wrote:
I just find the claim that "the iconography is so difficult" to be bizarre, given that (a) I've never seen someone have this problem, (b) the explanations of what they mean are either on the cheat sheet or on the card itself, and (c) I haven't seen this complaint about other games with similarly complex iconography, e.g. Dungeon Lords, most of the Tiny Epic series, ...

Maybe you only play with really clever people, but even if so: Take a look at reviews and comments and you sure will find out that there are tons of people struggling with the iconography. It really is a common issue with this game.

I think Graham's point is that the alleged complexity of the iconography in RFtG is overstated and I agree. Okay, there is a bit of a learning curve but after one or two games, it's fine. Certainly it is the more complex game of the two being considered here and I wouldn't suggest trying to play this with a too young a player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.