Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Burglary vs location with no clues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, common sense tells me it's legal to dig Hallway with the shroud value of 1 and clue value of 0 for resources with Burglary, however the game' Grim Rule tells me otherwise, as I can't find any clear statement on the matter of investigating a clueless location. Anybody got any intel on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Svensson
Sweden
Helsingborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluff-wise it seems perfectly legal - you are not looking for clues to any mystery, just plain stealing and robbing for cash. And this game is all about the fluff, being an RPG-LCG hybrid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 7, Rules Reference

"A card ability that refers to clues 'at a location' is referring to the undiscovered clues that are currently on that location."

Without the card in front of me I can't be more definitive.

Edit: Now that I've seen the card, that seems a reasonable question.

Exhaust Burglary: Investigate. If you succeed, instead of discovering clues, gain 3 resources.

I'd say it would work, I mean, it doesn't say to replace discovered clues with resources. Then again, I still think it's a good question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Works as far as I can tell. There are no clues to find, but you're not trying to find any - so no conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Works as far as I can tell. There are no clues to find, but you're not trying to find any - so no conflict.
That's general logic, which might be different with the game logic.

My fear is that game logic is: Card reads "instead of discovering clues". To discover clues, there need to be clues on the location, otherwise there can be no discovering clues, and thus Burglary cannot replace clues discovery with the resource gain.

However, game logic might also be that the process of discovering clues does not involves the actual clues being on the location, just the process that checks location for clues after successful investigation or something.

I couldn't find any relevant information that could help me solve that mistery at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This may sound like rules lawyering, but -- the Rules Reference quote above takes pains to differentiate between "discovering clues 'at a location'", and "discovering clues". The former requires clues be present at the location, we are told. That suggests that "discovering clues", with no reference to location, is possible and does not require clues be present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
The rules reference says:

Quote:
The word “instead” is indicative of a replacement effect. A
replacement effect is an effect that replaces the resolution of a
triggering condition with an alternate means of resolution.

Since it replaces the resolution altogether, I see no reason to assume that the resolution needs to be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to burglar dat hallway, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
Time to burglar dat hallway, I guess.

Yep.

Please bear with my rules-editor-lawyer-ness...and I am making this up, I'm no official rules person for this game.

Burglary says "Exhaust Burglary: Investigate. If you succeed, instead of discovering clues, gain 3 resources."

So once it's in play you exhaust it to perform an Investigate action.

The Investigate action (RR, p13) says the only qualification on performing this action is "an action an investigator may take during his or her turn in the investigation phase." It does NOT say anything about the location must have clues.

"Each time an investigator takes this action, he or she makes an intellect test against the shroud value of that location." Again, you can take the test at the location as directed, with no mention of clues.

"If the test is successful, the investigator has succeeded in investigating the location, he or she discovers one clue at the location."

So instead of "discovers one clue", a successful test would "instead...gain 3 resources."

The action goes on to say: "Any time an investigator discovers a clue from a location, that player takes the clue from the location and places it on his or her investigator card, under his or her control."

So it seems to me there is:
a) during your investigation phase you may take the "investigate action".
b) investigate action requires an intellect test against the shroud value of your location.
c) successful tests "discover one clue at the location"
d) discovery allows you to take one clue from the location.

In a way, Burglary simply changes the result at "c" before "d".

Honestly, I find this sort of rule writing to be WAY too complicated. Once more what should be a simple concept seems to have been confused by the rules reference guide trying to be overly complex with 5 wordy paragraphs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie K
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
If it has a shroud value, it can be investigated. If there's not shroud value, you can't make the test, so you can't investigate.

I'd treat it just like any other room that's been emptied of clues by previous investigations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize that, aside from agreeing it's legal, this has not much to do with the OP. But I need to know, does the printed Rules Reference hate the letter "h" as much as the PDF does?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
does the printed Rules Reference hate the letter "h" as much as the PDF does?

Try a different browser/PDF viewer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also wondered about this since I played a demo-game (and actually had that situation come up) back in september.

So, consensus is, that it should work?

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.