United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Does the card Media Archive give you 1 Me for each...

Cards that have been played to this point,
Cards played in the future, or
Both cards played to this point, and those in the future.

Thanks!
Karsten

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karstenengelmann wrote:
Hi!

Does the card Media Archive give you 1 Me for each...

Cards that have been played to this point,
Cards played in the future, or
Both cards played to this point, and those in the future.

Thanks!
Karsten

It is a green card, so has no continuing effect, other than providing its tag. So you only receive MC for events played up to the point Media Archives is played
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S├ębastien A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a quick aside, I don't think Media Archive is worth picking up in most circumstances.

Events tend to be rather expensive, so they don't get played very often; 3 to 5 per player seems to be the average. However, Media Archives represents a total value of 11 credits (8 base cost + 3 research "cost"). So you need at least 12 events played to make a profit, which means it's only good in the very late game with 4 or 5 players. Even then, I don't think you could do much more than 6-8 credits in profit, which isn't much at that point of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coriolis wrote:
As a quick aside, I don't think Media Archive is worth picking up in most circumstances.

Events tend to be rather expensive, so they don't get played very often; 3 to 5 per player seems to be the average. However, Media Archives represents a total value of 11 credits (8 base cost + 3 research "cost"). So you need at least 12 events played to make a profit

I agree in general, but I'd argue the card doesn't need to make big profit in order to be worthwhile. It does bring a tag to the table too, which might be useful to you on its own and/or reduce costs. It definitely doesn't look like an impressive card to play, but as long as you break even with it, it wouldn't be a mistake picking it up. If nothing else, you can use it to stall 1 turn in the Action Phase...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rohland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it once with earth catapult to lower the cost by 2, but I guess that combos with everything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snapshot wrote:
If nothing else, you can use it to stall 1 turn in the Action Phase...

Excellent point. The value of a stalling action can be huge - not to be underestimated. It can even be worth buying a card just to sell it (at a 2 MCr loss) if it lets you play some combinations or hole cards after an opponent Passes. Playing cards that have action can help you out-stall opponents, too, even if the actions are no longer relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.