Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Why is it called surge? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
[no use for a name]
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on an unofficial Hungarian translation for the game and trying to find the right Hungarian word for the surge sign.
Please help me to understand why is called surge? It looks like a high voltage sign to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Surge is a sudden rush, can apply to voltage and power as well. In a voltage surge the voltage suddenly rises and can break things. A power surge means a sudden rise in power.

I would describe surge as something in excess that can be used to trigger special things (surge abilities).

In the end, surge is just a somewhat descriptive name like evade, block, dodge, damage, and strain. (Not to mention conditions.)

Some random dictionary, Surge wrote:
1.a strong, wavelike, forward movement, rush, or sweep:
the onward surge of an angry mob.
2.a strong, swelling, wavelike volume or body of something:
a billowing surge of smoke.
3. a sudden, strong increase or burst:
a surge of energy; surges of emotion.
4. Military. a significant increase in the number of troops deployed to an area.
5. the rolling swell of the sea.
6. the swelling and rolling sea:
The surge crashed against the rocky coast.
7. a swelling wave; billow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Shelton
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A surge is a temporary extra increase in something. It is often applied to power or energy. Commonly if there is a problem with the power system, your house might get a surge of power (which can be a problem). More importantly in this case, it is often applied to a person's energy to indicate a sudden increase (like a runner surging to suddenly pull ahead or a surge of energy that let's you get something done before a deadline).

As for a Hungarian word? I have no idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[no use for a name]
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the the quick answers. In this case does surge mean something like an impulse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psydotek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Impulse would work.

If you don't need an exact translation, something similar to "Special" or "Bonus" would also be appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blekk42 wrote:
Thanks for the the quick answers. In this case does surge mean something like an impulse?

surge, sudden increase, impulse, burst, spike...

I spent time to think of a Finnish word, and could not think of anything suitable at first. I considered pulssi (pulse), lisä- (lisäominaisuus would become additional ability), then remembered jännitepiikki (voltage spike). But maybe I would not use piikki (spike), because the term would need to fit with the other terms used (surge abilities, spending surges).

Whatever word is used, it would take time to get used to it, and maybe come up with a better word in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[no use for a name]
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:

I spent time to think of a Finnish word, and could not think of anything suitable at first. I considered pulssi (pulse), lisä- (lisäominaisuus would become additional ability), then remembered jännitepiikki (voltage spike). But maybe I would not use piikki (spike), because the term would need to fit with the other terms used (surge abilities, spending surges).

Whatever word is used, it would take time to get used to it, and maybe come up with a better word in the process.

I'm trying to find the suitable word in a similar way. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crit or Proc work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Cannone
Italy
Cerignola
Foggia
flag msg tools
Oh yeah!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In italian they translated it in "impulse" 'cause there is no better word for a "sudden increment of something you're doing"....

Impulse to kill, impulse to defend, impulse to play

Among friend we call them "fulmini" that means "lightning", "thunderbolt"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[no use for a name]
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michelecannone wrote:

Among friend we call them "fulmini" that means "lightning", "thunderbolt"

This is how we call it as well :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Istvan Bertyak
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can call it "hev" (mint a heves szo alapja, csak nincs ekezetem).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
I spent time to think of a Finnish word, and could not think of anything suitable at first.

I almost couldn't find sleep last night thinking about this. I came to a conclusion that any Finnish translation that is even remotely based on any definition of Surge is strange, and only raises the "but why is it called that" question.

If I had to adhere to it, I'd probably go with syöksy (rush), or maybe ryöppy (gush).

But if I were in charge, I would choose simply etu (advantage, benefit, perk). And in a similar boring fashion Evade, which cancels surge, would be kumous (cancel, undo).

I may be unimaginative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A cynic would say FFG wanted something copyrightable whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
I'd probably go with syöksy (rush), or maybe ryöppy (gush).

But if I were in charge, I would choose simply etu (advantage, benefit, perk). And in a similar boring fashion Evade, which cancels surge, would be kumous (cancel, undo).

I think Väistö would be perfectly good as a direct translation of evade, and Esto for block.

Fortunately we don't need to. The next worst problem after surge is strain. I hope I didn't give you another sleepless night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Hipsu wrote:
I'd probably go with syöksy (rush), or maybe ryöppy (gush).

I think Väistö would be perfectly good as a direct translation of evade

Sure, but in my mind I was reserving väistö for dodge and wanted something distinctively different for evade, to avoid confusion.

But I stop derailing now. This is just to show that I feel the OP's conundrum...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Many Bothans died...to bring us this translation."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P O
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In spanish version it was translated as "Incremento" (increase).
Funnily enough, there is one word that much more closely translates surge. It is "subidón" (used to express sudden and notable increase in something). But this is a rather colloquial word , not present in "official" dictionaries at least until a very few years ago.
Anyway, most players call it "Rayo" (lightning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Cannone
Italy
Cerignola
Foggia
flag msg tools
Oh yeah!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spanish and Italian culture always so "close"

kerrak wrote:
In spanish version it was translated as "Incremento" (increase).
Funnily enough, there is one word that much more closely translates surge. It is "subidón" (used to express sudden and notable increase in something). But this is a rather colloquial word , not present in "official" dictionaries at least until a very few years ago.
Anyway, most players call it "Rayo" (lightning).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Mäkäräinen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
blekk42 wrote:

A completely different term, ylivuoto (Overflow) would work in Finnish.

- Kez.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.