Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Clemens
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played our first game of Crusader Rex (2nd ed.) and there were a couple of rules questions that we weren't able to resolve.

1. Do units Harry (fire and retreat) before all other units get to fire, or do they do it in the regular firing order (A then B then C)? E.g., if the second is true, then a Saracen "B" unit harrying would receive fire from a Frank "A" unit, but would fire and retreat before Frankish "B" units get to fire.

2. Group Move - can units using a single Group Move start in a single location and take different routes to arrive at the same destination (to stay within road limits)?

3. Once Player 2 has finished his move, is there any way for Player 1 to add additional units to a battle or siege? (e.g., from adjacent towns/castles). I don't see any rules that would allow this, but the question came up about how Player 1 could reinforce a battle.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nrfptplayer wrote:
Just played our first game of Crusader Rex (2nd ed.) and there were a couple of rules questions that we weren't able to resolve.

1. Do units Harry (fire and retreat) before all other units get to fire, or do they do it in the regular firing order (A then B then C)?

In regular firing order.
Quote:
E.g., if the second is true, then a Saracen "B" unit harrying would receive fire from a Frank "A" unit, but would fire and retreat before Frankish "B" units get to fire.

Note: Before the Frankish B only if the Saracen is defending. I.e. defending B units act before attacking B units.

Quote:
2. Group Move - can units using a single Group Move start in a single location and take different routes to arrive at the same destination (to stay within road limits)?

Yes.

Quote:
3. Once Player 2 has finished his move, is there any way for Player 1 to add additional units to a battle or siege? (e.g., from adjacent towns/castles). I don't see any rules that would allow this, but the question came up about how Player 1 could reinforce a battle.

Player 1 does all their moves, then player 2 does all their moves. So of course after Player 2 moves, player 1 cannot do more moves. If player 1 wanted to move after player 2, they should have played a lower value movement card. (That's one of the strategic considerations when choosing your card each turn.)

BTW there are multiple versions of this game's rules, which makes rule discussions confusing. I'm playing with version 2.0. There are also a couple of useful FAQs in the file area which I recommend downloading. This game's rules are rather murky in places.

(I'm enjoying this game lately, but if you are new to block games, I'll recommend Columbia's Julius Caesar as having much clearer better written rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Clemens
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the incredibly quick response.

I have played other block games (going back to 1812). I agree that Julius Caesar has clearer rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.