Hide
23 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Painting The City of the Ancients rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glok Glok
msg tools
So I am a boardgame-gamer and a huge miniature painter. So... I finally caved and got a Brimstone box. City of the Ancients.

I shall be painting all of it! I hope.

First session is in a week and two days. So far... It is at least playable. I have to admit the models have a lot of gaps, I do not quite like that, requires me to do a lot of greenstuffing.

Now I am painting thse for simple tabletop quality. I want them to look good, but not take ages. I started with the tentacles, e voila!

I am working on the four player characters next. I want those done before the game at least. After that... the Goliath! *Brings out the airbrush*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Grinter
msg tools
mb

I think our definitions of simple tabletop quality are slightly differentsurprise
I'd like to see your version of high quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glok Glok
msg tools
Are you kidding me? I love those tentacles

My definition of 'high quality' is that I spend a lot of time blending, etc. etc. I do not usually want to spend that long on a miniature.

Also I of course say 'this is just tabletop quality' because I am afraid to suggest those tentacles are reflective of my 'skill level'

Also you got more models done then me so far! Weeee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your work here is definitely on the high end of "playable". They look exceptional! SoB was my first foray into miniature painting. It's been fun, but I definitely don't have the eye for it that you do. Guess I need to keep practicing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Deever
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I paid $200 to have all my miniatures assembled and painted and what you have looks just as good if not better. Nice job! Please continue to post your work on the rest of the set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am also a boardgamer and mini painter like you, albeit your painting technique is more advanced than mine it would seem.

I am of two minds when it comes to the quality of the minis:

As a boardgamer, I love SoB and I hope you and your group have a blast playing it. You can take that literally if you want; try tossing some dynamite--it's a lot of fun. The minis are great for adding to the game's theme and help sell the story.

As a mini painter, these minis are awful. The gaps, the smudged details, the mold lines, more gaps, more smudged details, more mold lines. My Bandito's nose was somewhere off to the side of his head. I'm glad I made it all the way through those minis. I never again want to paint minis of such low quality.

If you pick up some of the expansions, you will see a progression of quality improvements in the miniatures. I own a ton of SoB and can see four distinct phases in FFP minis. The very latest stuff, however, is a mixed bag. The fine cast resin stuff they are producing now is really good on detail and a lot of fun to paint. Just keep some liquid green stuff handy to smooth out the occasional bubbles. However, they are more fragile and the release agent is tenacious and difficult to adequately remove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glok Glok
msg tools
Well thanks peeps

Friedmutant wrote:

I am also a boardgamer and mini painter like you, albeit your painting technique is more advanced than mine it would seem.

I am of two minds when it comes to the quality of the minis:

As a boardgamer, I love SoB and I hope you and your group have a blast playing it. You can take that literally if you want; try tossing some dynamite--it's a lot of fun. The minis are great for adding to the game's theme and help sell the story.

As a mini painter, these minis are awful. The gaps, the smudged details, the mold lines, more gaps, more smudged details, more mold lines. My Bandito's nose was somewhere off to the side of his head. I'm glad I made it all the way through those minis. I never again want to paint minis of such low quality.

If you pick up some of the expansions, you will see a progression of quality improvements in the miniatures. I own a ton of SoB and can see four distinct phases in FFP minis. The very latest stuff, however, is a mixed bag. The fine cast resin stuff they are producing now is really good on detail and a lot of fun to paint. Just keep some liquid green stuff handy to smooth out the occasional bubbles. However, they are more fragile and the release agent is tenacious and difficult to adequately remove.

Oh man I know exactly how you feel. I had such a 'horrible' time putting these together and filling the gaps is... a total waste of time. I keep finding mold lines, even when I am deep into painting... not pleased with it. I still need to fill gaps on quite a few minis... *sigh*

I hope the game is a lot of fun, then I might get a few expansion thingies. Model wise the sand kraken and Belial dudes look quite awesome.

I find it a bit hard to determine what expansions there are though, its a lot of things, etc. I am from holland and we got the Spellenspektakel (Game Extravaganza roughly translated) coming up in November, might pick up something then.

Though I am progressing on the player characters. I am in the highlighting stage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeKay
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Your spiders look better than mine... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Grinter
msg tools
mb
Jimmdogg wrote:
Your spiders look better than mine... cry
trust me it's only because of blurry camera photo, they're just one color base with black or yellow stripes on the leg joints this accent really helped I think, the fangs are all black, a few have polka dots for that real otherworldly feel, waiting on some glow in the dark paint for the belly mouths, hoping they'll have glow beneath them if the lights are turned down

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glok Glok
msg tools
Painting stripes like that on 8 legs, all around... quite a bit of work dude. Nice.

BAM, sheriff!

Working on the Goliath atm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice... I had a few days off and got city of the ancients teh week before. So I painted the whole thing.
Since this seems to be the thread for that do you mind if I post some pictures here or would that be considered hijacking it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glok Glok
msg tools
The more the merrier I'd say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Grinter
msg tools
mb
Nice job on the sheriff, those little hero figures with all their detail are very intimidating to me so I've been working on the stranglers, wish I would have gone a little lighter on the blue base as my first attempts at a wash ended up really darkening things up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Maglok wrote:
The more the merrier I'd say!

Well, in that case, I've been thinking about posting mine for a bit...

I really need to take some updated pics. I've got both core sets done and am currently working on the putty and cleaning for Wave 1 and the resin figs... I somewhat wish the thread about clear bases had come out before I started custom sculpting on all of mine...
My current table:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glok Glok
msg tools
Those little yellow dots on the spiders are really cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah great job on the spiders. For some reason I never get satisfying results when painting spiders. So mine were simply based, washed and drybrushed. I wanted to get them out of the way

The goliath got a completely different color scheme. After I painted the tentacles I thought it could be fun to make his look the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glok Glok
msg tools
SWEET. That is really good work. I love the detail and time you spend into the player characters. How long for one? I am about to finish the bandit myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glok Glok
msg tools
El bandito!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Don't sell yourself short, those are solid spiders.
I really love the purple and blue color theme on the Goliath and Tentacles. It ties them nicely to the Stranglers and is very striking. Great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glok Glok
msg tools
Ran out of time to paint the other two PCs to full.

But... READY TO GAME! Tomorrow night, WE GAME!

(It is a temporary table, notice the tape on the ground, we are shopping for bigger )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy gaming. A bigger table will be useful. Although I like that IKEA table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glok Glok
msg tools
I have been busy as of late, but here are the night terrors painted. They are not as blue in real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glok Glok
msg tools
And all four player characters finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.