Subject: Final Clarification On Passing out vision cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Van Hovannisian
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I see quite a few different answers on the forums. Assuming there are 4 psychics, are all the visions cards passed out before people start making their guess? Or is it passed to play A, then player A locks in, followed by player B receiving their vision cards and locking, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Van,

If you're talking about a normal "round" in the game, deal each of the psychics one or more cards, face down. Once all of the psychics have their card(s), the psychics turn over the card(s) and the ghost turns over the timer.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they can start guessing as they are passed out. Once they are all passed out, you start the egg timer. They all have to be locked in before the timer runs out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Van,

If you're talking about a normal "round" in the game, deal each of the psychics one or more cards, face down. Once all of the psychics have their card(s), the psychics turn over the card(s) and the ghost turns over the timer.

Cheers,
Joe

Per page 9, step 1 of the US Version rulebook, the cards are handed out face up, not face down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Hovannisian
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I see the appeal in both versions, but as you can see, this is why I am confused. haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OlafsMeadHorn9 wrote:
I see the appeal in both versions, but as you can see, this is why I am confused. haha

Just check your rulebook, I showed where to find it.. Unless you're asking if a Variant option is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Hovannisian
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
That's not what I was asking, but I do see the appeal of both. Thank you for the rule clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as MY house rule all clue cards are passed out face-down until all players have their card(s)

As for the final stage (should all the players make it by the last round) I deal out all three clue cards face down then turn one over, so that's the first clue card and all players can guess but the player(s) who are only allowed one clue card because of their position on the track have to vote, then the other player(s) who made it to the two cards placement are next then vote then if any player(s) had made it to the 3 card for clues get their last clue revealed then vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
as MY house rule all clue cards are passed out face-down until all players have their card(s)

As for the final stage (should all the players make it by the last round) I deal out all three clue cards face down then turn one over, so that's the first clue card and all players can guess but the player(s) who are only allowed one clue card because of their position on the track have to vote, then the other player(s) who made it to the two cards placement are next then vote then if any player(s) had made it to the 3 card for clues get their last clue revealed then vote.

That's also how the official rules work for the final round, but all others are dealt face up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

That's also how the official rules work for the final round, but all others are dealt face up.

Adam,

Good catch...most folks with whom I play, however, prefer face down.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far we find it challenging enough, but I'd it starts to get to easy we'll try the house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pass them face down but the person receiving can look at it immediately. This is so they can have some time with their clue to formulate an idea of what it means before more dominant personalities start pointing out what they think it should be. We also don't use the timer and guessing can begin whenever any one wants to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our rule is that no psychic can discuss their visions until the last card is given. I do give the cards face up so psychics can start thinking about choices, but no table discussion until the last card is given out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
now I'm thinking that maybe the ghost should choose a vision card for all players and set them behind their screen then after they choose the last one pass them all out at the same face up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hand a vision to a player, they start looking and then draw up to your hand size. If others want to help, then they can help.

Repeat for each player.

When every player has their vision, take the egg timer, and throw it away, the further, the better.

Everyone guesses, and proceed with the rest.

I don't see why in a social game, anyone would want to limit any of the "social" part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
Hand a vision to a player, they start looking and then draw up to your hand size. If others want to help, then they can help.

Repeat for each player.

When every player has their vision, take the egg timer, and throw it away, the further, the better.

I don't see why in a social game, anyone would want to limit any of the "social" part.

In the interest of time.. This game can suffer from serious analysis paralysis without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
crambaza wrote:

Repeat for each player.

In the interest of time.. This game can suffer from serious analysis paralysis without it.

That's an issue for the group to manage. Not every group has that issue or even thinks that excessive talking is a problem. I've played this with about 20-30 different people, always as the ghost, and never had an issue that made me even consider taking out the sand timer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, then with that logic maybe I should figure out who all the PA's are and hand them their cards first. Why not? and not use the timer since it's a social game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
slydog75 wrote:
crambaza wrote:

Repeat for each player.

That's an issue for the group to manage. Not every group has that issue or even thinks that excessive talking is a problem. I've played this with about 20-30 different people, always as the ghost, and never had an issue that made me even consider taking out the sand timer.

I feel like you're looking for an argument... I don't care if you don't play with the sand timer, play how you like! You asked why people would use it and I answered your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
slydog75 wrote:
crambaza wrote:

Repeat for each player.

I feel like you're looking for an argument... I don't care if you don't play with the sand timer, play how you like! You asked why people would use it and I answered your question.

No I'm not, and no I didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
now I'm thinking that maybe the ghost should choose a vision card for all players and set them behind their screen then after they choose the last one pass them all out at the same face up.
Even with just 3 psychics, I have a hard enough time as the ghost keeping the game moving. This would triple (at least) the down time for the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what I'm struggling with is how do I determine which player should have more time to look at their clue than another? Do I just ignore that and pass out the clues face up to the player that a card in my hand fits the person, place or thing and let them examine it while I choose another card for a another player (like the it says in the rules)?

For me that feels like who ever got the last clue card from me is cheated out of time and when we first played that's what happened, one player in particular, always seemed to have gotten the last clue card and had the least amount of time to examine it.

So I came with the idea that all the players would receive their clue card face down until everyone had a clue card, then we would start the timer and everybody flipped their card. Honestly, I know it's going against the rules but it works for us.

Bottom line: we still have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I think what I'm struggling with is how do I determine which player should have more time to look at their clue than another? Do I just ignore that and pass out the clues face up to the player that a card in my hand fits the person, place or thing and let them examine it while I choose another card for a another player (like the it says in the rules)?

For me that feels like who ever got the last clue card from me is cheated out of time and when we first played that's what happened, one player in particular, always seemed to have gotten the last clue card and had the least amount of time to examine it.

So I came with the idea that all the players would receive their clue card face down until everyone had a clue card, then we would start the timer and everybody flipped their card. Honestly, I know it's going against the rules but it works for us.

Bottom line: we still have fun.

Our group hasn't had that problem because we don't have any limits about when people can speak. As soon as the ghost passes a card, everyone starts discussing it. The ghost can pass again quickly, or perhaps wait, and then they pass it when conversation dies down or a decision is temporarily made. Once all four are out, a timer starts, but the last person usually has plenty of time to discuss with the group because the others have already done so. It makes for a slightly longer game, but it's very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Just to make sure: you are aware that you draw more cards in between giving cards to each player? So if you don't have something appropriate for someone, you can give cards to someone else and draw more, hoping for better cards?

It's an oft-misunderstood or overlooked rule, which is why I'm confirming, because it would also kind of sidestep the "who gets cards first" question: whoever you have the best cards for gets cards first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Just to make sure: you are aware that you draw more cards in between giving cards to each player? So if you don't have something appropriate for someone, you can give cards to someone else and draw more, hoping for better cards?

It's an oft-misunderstood or overlooked rule, which is why I'm confirming, because it would also kind of sidestep the "who gets cards first" question: whoever you have the best cards for gets cards first.

Yup, as a former MTG player I NEVER forget to refill my hand, LOL!!!!!

Yes, I give the best clue card in my current hand to the player who's person, place or object bet fits the clue and sometimes a second one if needed.

My particular point was to make it as fair as possible but as I keep reading the replies that's not much of a concern for some folks so the next time I play I'm telling the players to start talking about the clue card I hand asap and then when I hand out the last I will, obligatorily, start the sand timer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.