Subject: Disease Cubes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TC Rudolf
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, there is something i really don't get. According to the living rules:

E3: "For promoted Mutations with two cubes, the ‘+’ cube must be stolen first, which unpromotes the Mutation."

Ok, so losing the + cube of a promoted mutation to a parasite, unpromotes the mutation just like suffering atrophie.

glossary: "A Mutation is never lost or demoted by Disease"

Furthermore, what happens to the mutation of the host if the parasite has stolen both cubes from the same mutation and it has to discard one due to atrophie?
May the owner of the parasite choose which one?
Does nothing happens to the host if he discards the 1st one, from the (former) promoted mutation because it is unpromoted already?

What is the result of losing the 2nd mutation cube (stolen from the unpromoted mutation side of its host)? As far as i know the mutation will be lost. But what about the 2nd cube left on the parasite?
Because of the lost mutation where it comes from, should it also be discarded?
If it's not the case, there will be one disease cube on the parasite without any origin and it cannot be taken back by an red queen attack.

I appreciate any help, my brain is a mess rigth know
Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muscarin wrote:

E3: "For promoted Mutations with two cubes, the ‘+’ cube must be stolen first, which unpromotes the Mutation."

Ok, so losing the + cube of a promoted mutation to a parasite, unpromotes the mutation just like suffering atrophie.

This is an error due to a late rule change; the glossary entry for Disease apparently wasn't updated. Specifically, it didn't use to be the case that grabbing diseased cubes from promoted mutations unpromoted them. I'm not sure I like the rule change, but if you want to play with it then yes, mutations can be demoted by disease.

Muscarin wrote:
Furthermore, what happens to the mutation of the host if the parasite has stolen both cubes from the same mutation and it has to discard one due to atrophie?
Does nothing happens to the host if he discards the 1st one, from the (former) promoted mutation because it is unpromoted already?

What is the result of losing the 2nd mutation cube (stolen from the unpromoted mutation side of its host)? As far as i know the mutation will be lost. But what about the 2nd cube left on the parasite?
If it's not the case, there will be one disease cube on the parasite without any origin and it cannot be taken back by an red queen attack.

This is why I don't like the rule change; it makes what was simple more complex with a bunch of edge cases. I'd say that the parasite owner can choose the order, but if they choose the cube from the unpromoted side of the mutation, than the mutation must be discarded and so must the other diseased cube. Otherwise nothing happens.

There's another issue; what if the host re-promotes the mutation without red queen. What about the diseased cube sitting on the parasite?

Personally I'd play with the original rule--mutations can't be/aren't demoted by disease--at least until all of the ramifications are worked out and detailed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Muscarin wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Hello TC, this is a good point. I agree with Matt, and have changed the living rules in E3 and H4 to agree with the glossary entry for disease: Mutations are never lost or demoted by disease (only suffer stolen chromosomes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Rudolf
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Phil .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.