BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Desperate mom needs help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dawn Finch
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
15 years ago my family and I moved to Florida. Unfortunatley several of our games did not make it. My kids and I have always loved playing games together. It's "our thing", and I would love nothing more than to find their favorites that were lost. They are Tornado Rex, Eat at Ralphs and Pretty Pretty Princess. I have seen the TR game on Amazon for $400! Really??? I'm not a collector, just a mom who screwed up and lost their games! I can't afford that kind of price, even though it would be worth it to watch them open it for Christmas. It doesn't have to be in perfect condition, just playable. Can anyone help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try here:

Tornado Rex
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3517/tornado-rex/trading...

Eat at Ralphs
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30091/eat-ralphs/trading...

Pretty Pretty Princess
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6549/pretty-pretty-princ...
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6549/pretty-pretty-princ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
You could also try out some other games that are easily available at low cost. There are thousands of great games out there. Explore BGG a bit, you should find something to fit your family's tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
After 15 years, you may find that a good game is more fun than nostalgia. Here's the Board Game Gift Guide 2015 and 2016 should be coming fairly soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankdawn

Ouch, some very expensive games: Tornado Rex and Eat at Ralph's. (In no way worth it at the prices online (use eBay not amazon for better prices).

Pretty Pretty Princess isn't too expensive.

I would recommend buying some modern kids games:

All the children's games sorted by rank.
All the family games sorted by rank.

If you give us more details - how many players, ages and how long you want games to be I'm sure you'd get some tailored recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pretty Pretty Princess has been reimplemented into "Dazzling Princess" which is fairly easy to find. It's not the original, but the gameplay is basically unchanged and now just involves Disney princesses.

https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Princess-Dazzling-Game/dp/B00B...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually shocked that your kids' taste hasn't changed in those 15 years. Really, there are great new games out there that 20-somethings ought to enjoy quite a lot more. And this is just the website to find them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You lost the games 15 years ago and you now want to get them for Christmas?
If it's been 15 years I'm pretty sure the kids are not all that upset about the loss. Get some newer games.
What have you been playing with them for the past 15 years if games are "your thing"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cool You can "explore" the newer kinds with "BSW" <-'click' LINK for FREE online, and use their 'client-app' UNLESS the "browser-sort" were improved. "Catan" was 'notoriously enfeebled;. "Carcassonne", "Web of Power", "TransAmerica"-Train-Gsme, or whatever else is available now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This premise does seem a bit odd. Why would you want to get little kid games that were popular with your kids 15 years ago? Why not get them games that will appeal to their interests now instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I don't owe you my trust. You owe me your proof.
badge
This is my incredulous face.
mbmbmb
Wayne LaBanca wrote:
If it's been 15 years I'm pretty sure the kids are not all that upset about the loss. Get some newer games.

Bokrug wrote:
I'm actually shocked that your kids' taste hasn't changed in those 15 years.

Without knowing any of the individuals personally, I'd say this sounds more like a nostalgic "remember how much fun we had with these and how crushed you were when we lost them" kind of thing to me. If my parents gave me one of my favorite childhood games that I hadn't seen in years, complete and ready to play, it wouldn't matter if it was Bed Bugs or Fortress America or Rise and Decline of the Third Reich. The importance wouldn't be in the game itself, but in the effort and the sentiment. I could be wrong, and I could be projecting so hard you could reasonably call me Kodak, but let's not criticize someone who could just be trying to do something nice for her kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I don't owe you my trust. You owe me your proof.
badge
This is my incredulous face.
mbmbmb
I wish I had some more solid help to offer, but I've found a bit of luck on Goodwill's auction site. You do tend to pay a little more in shipping than you might on eBay or Amazon, but the prices tend to be a little more reasonable on the item itself. Of course, you're also at the mercy of whatever the stores get in and put on offer, but I've seen and bid on some rather rare items there (and even won a few). It probably isn't the single best solution, but if you're building a base of places to look, I'd highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.