5 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Showing/Talking about your hand. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
I'm curious about the idea of showing your hand in deck building co-op games. Is it generally acceptable to tell players what you have so that you can all plan out your turns, or is the idea that we work together, but keep our hands to ourselves until our turns?

Especially in this game, there are times when choosing to gain a health over a coin, or choose to gain attack instead of something else may be wasting that card. Are we generally free to say "no - take the coin, because I'll kill him next turn anyway"? Or are we not to influence our partner's decisions?

It kind of does make a big difference in how the game plays out, and the rules here don't really talk about this as far as I can find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm half-Centaur.
badge
That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, Bingo!
mbmbmb
Your hand is face up. Everyone can see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Moo Cow,

Generally in Deck-byilding games you will play with your hand private and it's perfectly acceptable to discuss who should get the benefits of effects and what you plan to accomplish on your turn.

I have not seen a co-op deck builder where players play with their hand visible. It can lead to "alpha" players taking control and making the experience less enjoyable for everyone else. If a player wants to play with his hand visible that's up to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BenJazz wrote:
Hey Moo Cow,

Generally in Deck-byilding games you will play with your hand private and it's perfectly acceptable to discuss who should get the benefits of effects and what you plan to accomplish on your turn.

I have not seen a co-op deck builder where players play with their hand visible. It can lead to "alpha" players taking control and making the experience less enjoyable for everyone else. If a player wants to play with his hand visible that's up to them.

Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle works differently. Each player’s hand is on the table during other players’ turns, visible at all times. There are cards and effects throughout the game that will “check” what’s in someone else’s hand. For example:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Harry’s Invisibility Cloak can save him from damage during other players’ turns, and George and Fred Weasley look to see if any other players are holding other Weasleys when they’re played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone mentioned other games: it's very standard in the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game for players to play with open hands, although it is deliberately left unspecified by the rules. Everyone I play with plays this way. The head designer, Mike Selinker, at one point said the entire development team plays this way, except he himself.

As for the alpha gamer problem: I just don't play with players like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.