GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Runewars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Army Commanders again rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Graves
United States
Norwalk
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can't decide if this means Army Commanders can or can't move from an Activated area in the Quest Phase.

Commanders may move like units when resolving a “Strategize,”
“Mobilize,” or “Conquer” Order card. Commanders cannot move
out of activated areas, nor can they move while routed (even during
the Quest Phase).

I think it means they can't, but it's not as clear as it could be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Commanders cannot move out of activated areas, nor can they move while routed. Even during the Quest Phase.

Assuming that is the rule seems pretty clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Graves
United States
Norwalk
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
out of activated areas, nor can they move while routed (even during
the Quest Phase).

I don't think it is clear. You dropped the parenthesis off the last part which changes the semantics. Why even mention 'nor can they move while routed' - no units can move when they are routed... and then it's not clear if the parenthesis part applies to the whole sentence or just the second part.

This would have been clearer;

out of activated areas, even during the Quest Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two paragraphs above what you cited, there is this:

"Commanders are still considered heroes and not units, however they cannot complete (or even attempt) Quests. They can still use their hero abilities and move, duel, train, or heal during the Quest Phase."

So, they may move like units from the paragraph that you cited, but it seems to me that they still may move as heroes in the Quest Phase.

The paragraph that you cited seems to have been included for use with 1st edition, where Heroes could not move with Mobilize and Conquer cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I've seen a ruling specifically about this, but other rulings I've seen about commanders definitely imply that they cannot move out of Activated areas EVER, quest phase or not.

If you want to get a concrete answer, though, you'll need to submit a rules question to FFG.

My suggestion would be to just not use the Commander rules. While I love Runewars and almost all the options in the expansion, Commanders is one that I have never liked - too many weird corner cases, and the abilities are definitely not balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Graves
United States
Norwalk
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yep no problem with the interpretation, and I think that's the intent. It's just poorly worded IMO, which means someone somewhere will argue it when it suit's their position :-)

I've been toying with a House Rule of having army commanders be generic tokens rather than heroes. I think it's the quasi-hero ability that causes a lot of the questions. They would be eliminated if ever on their own or forced to rout when routed, and you'd have to use the rally support secondary to get a new one.

Having Army Commanders be actual hero's dilutes the hero pool in a 4 player game I find.

I agree that the abilities are imbalanced, but I don't mind that so much. Runewars has so much unpredictability already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
gravey101 wrote:
Having Army Commanders be actual hero's dilutes the hero pool in a 4 player game I find.

Well, not for me But I created custom "unofficial" heroes for all the heroes in the original Descent 1E/Runebound 2E universe, so I've got LOTS of heroes to pick from
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.