Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused on the differences between Air Combat vs Interception when the target hex is an Airbase with active enemy fighters.

For example, if I conduct a Air Barrage mission against an isolated airbase (not in the Patrol Zone of anyone else) with active enemy fighters on the field is there both an Air Combat segment (para 14.2f Step C) and an Interception segment (para 14.2f Step D) if I decide to leave one active fighter on the ground during Step C?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
You will have to take care of any and all the fighters at said air base first with Air Combat before you can complete your bombing mission. If you don't, your bombing mission fails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me clarify with an example.

A group of Allied bombers and 1x P40 fighter attack an airbase with 2x active German BF109 fighters.

The German player, hoping to husband his resources, decides to scramble only 1x Bf109 to take on the P40 and bombers per Step C of para 14.2f.

Unfortunately for the German player, during the Air Combat he loses his Bf109 and the bombers and P40 remain over his airfield.

Can he now Intercept the bombers with his one remaining Bf109 per Step D of para 14.2f?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. If the German player deactivated one of his active fighters (stupid move by the way) then it is grounded until next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:
No. If the German player deactivated one of his active fighters (stupid move by the way) then it is grounded until next turn.

Not scrambling an active fighter causes it to be "deactivated"?

I'm obligated to scramble all fighter at an airbase when other aircraft attack it??

Is this another rules interpretation that is somehow implicated but not actually written?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
14.3d explains it. If you choose not to fight with all your fighters, then they, and your bombers, become deactivated. You are obligated to send up at least one fighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kisner
United States
Windsor Heights
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Gordon,

Interception involves moving to a DIFFERENT hex to fight an air combat. If the enemy sends planes against one of your bases, the resulting air combat is against your entire stack of Active planes in the hex.

Usually, you will do a Sweep mission against an enemy base, and then later do an Air Barrage mission against it to drop bombs. But you could send a mission (with fighters and bombers) and then hope the air combat goes your way.

Note after a successful Sweep, the moving fighter returns to base (Inactive) before there is any chance to do an Interception against it (per sequence).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.