19 Posts

Forge War» Forums » General

Subject: Worth it for solo only? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I read that many people enjoy the official solo game, but was wondering if they just enjoy it as a way to play when no one else is around or if they would recommend it as a purchase for solo play only?? I am primarily a solo player and doubt I could ever get anyone to play this with me (at least not on a regular basis) so want to know if it is worth buying if I was only going to play the solo game? Also, am I correct that once you know the rules you can play the normal solo game in about 1 hour?

Thanks everyone and have a great day!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! The epic game is...

...wait for it...

Epic!

Very challenging and lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JPN38 wrote:
Yes! The epic game is...

...wait for it...

Epic!

Thanks for the feedback!
Now given the fact that I would likely not have the time to play the epic version very frequently do you still it is worthwhile for solo play only if I mostly play in the normal mode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
JPN38 wrote:
Yes! The epic game is...

...wait for it...

Epic!

Thanks for the feedback!
Now given the fact that I would likely not have the time to play the epic version very frequently do you still it is worthwhile for solo play only if I mostly play in the normal mode?

Hard for me to say. I believe I only played the 7(?) turn game once. I'd probably have to say no. If you aren't gonna play the epic game, then too much of the coolness factor would get lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the insights!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this one will be way up in my top 20 this year. It's amazing.
If you short on time, you can always play the advance mode that let you skip the first age altogether with a clever card system.

What are you still doing here ? go buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
If you short on time, you can always play the advance mode that let you skip the first age altogether with a clever card system.

So how quick could I play the game solo using the advance mode (fast forward?( that you speak of?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
haplo92 wrote:

So how quick could I play the game solo using the advance mode (fast forward?( that you speak of?

Thanks

Once you know the rules, I'd say in about 90 minutes.
The longest part are all the setup in between ages. If you're well organized (trays, tuck boxes and whatnot) you shouldn't lose too much time in between acts.

I usually run an epic game in 120-150 minutes including setup and clean up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the information!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Robert
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I bought it for solo only, will probably never play multiplayer and have no regret at all.

I'm on the fence for the "normal" version only. Epic is the real gem here.

So far, I only played the epic version while I was on vacation and even if I only play the epic version, 4-5 times a year, for me it's absolutely worth it.

Love the theme, love the thinking/managing of your forge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game from a great designer, I'll still solo the normal version to get the rust out after a period of not playing and it gets me excited for the Epic version. i do have the benefit of being able to leave it up for play over a few nights though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Shelley
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
"One test result is worth one thousand expert opinions." -- Wernher von Braun
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an outstanding solo experience. It is easily among my top 5 solo games. I really enjoy it. With the different phases it is really like three games in one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What everyone says: Yes. This game is amazing if you like a tough, tight euro game with much planning. Like Josh, I've only played the normal game once, the epic game is so worth the time and set-up. I honestly haven't tried the fast forward version, but I believe it is a decent compromise between length and content, as you get to play with the end game cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the input! Everyone keeps commenting on how great the epic game is--what is different about it other than just be longer which makes it so much cooler than the normal game?

Thanks again everyone and have a great day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you progress through the ages, the quest are becoming more difficult (pretty obvious). Their requirements are more demanding in terms of manpower and resources. You have more types of resources, but not necessarily more resources. So everything becomes tighter. You need more planning and thinking ahead.

And the finishing quest are also way more brutals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the epic version your heroes also get very cool powers when reaching lvl 4(max lvl).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I suggest starting on the Easy version of the Epic mode. It will help you to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally worth for solo only.

The normal mode too is fine if you don't have much time, but yeah as everyone mentioned the epic mode is the way to go.

I played this game multiplayer as well but I have to say I prefer it solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.