Popular Tags: [View All]
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hypothetical situation.

Person A and Person B are friends. Person A asks to buy Item X for $100. Person B says no, take it for $80. Both sides are happy with any price between 80 and 100, so what should the sale price be? Market value on the item is hard to assess, so that doesn't help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$89.88
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm A, after B counteroffers, I'd say "Thanks! Here's $80."

If I'm B, and A insists on $100, I'll accept it.

I do try to offer friends good deals, but I don't insist on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
Hypothetical situation.

Person A and Person B are friends. Person A asks to buy Item X for $100. Person B says no, take it for $80. Both sides are happy with any price between 80 and 100, so what should the sale price be? Market value on the item is hard to assess, so that doesn't help.

Person A pays 80, and then buys Person B a nice bottle or six pack of something B likes in the 10-20 range. Mostly likely, the friends then enjoy it together and the friendship is all the tighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Person A pays the full $100, Person B receives $80, and the other $20 goes toward something both will enjoy. (a bottle of wine, a pizza, whatever)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
Hypothetical situation.

Sounds more like story time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wait, am I person A, or B?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation that prompted the question is already resolved, but I was curious how others would have resolved it. We split the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You pay what the bloke wants.

If you think you are robbing him then you find some other way to make up the money (pints for a week, a box of milk tray, a custom made CAH card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So they both agree that the game should sell for at least $80 and the point of contention is the last $20, right? So they should give the $80 to Player B and then play the game with the stakes set that the winner takes the other $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a chance of this turning into a sexual relationship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
So that's the first place your mind goes when discussing one person paying another money? Interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
So that's the first place your mind goes when discussing one person paying another money? Interesting.

and for only $20. hmmmmm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
$89.88

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

and for only $20. hmmmmm
No, it was for $80-$100. $20 is the discount being offered to A based on their being "friends."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
Hypothetical situation.

Splitting the difference is a good compromise. But I would usually just go with the lower amount. But... I've got kids to feed and anything extra is a huge bonus to me. So if I was person A I would have counteroffered at $60.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
What is Item X? And why is the market value so hard to assess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
slatersteven wrote:
You pay what the bloke wants.

If you think you are robbing him then you find some other way to make up the money (pints for a week, a box of milk tray, a custom made CAH card).
This is true since it is THEIR 'valuation'/'worth' of whatever, while I've even "upped the ante" such as buying at ABOVE theirs initially, whilst "rarely", at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go $65 plus a sheep and two goats plus naming rights for your thirdborn, but include a third round draft pick and a player to be named later with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why person B didn't just take the initial offer. Did he think it was unreasonably high or did he believe that person A needed the extra $20?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
The situation that prompted the question is already resolved, but I was curious how others would have resolved it. We split the difference.

Depends on the person and the item.

If I was mostly in a better financial situation than my friend I would want to give them a price break on a game I was willing to let go. If I was in less good financial position I would let them pay me what they think the game is worth even if it was more than I thought it was worth. If we were on par I would probably do what you did and split the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only solution is to cut the game and hundred dollar bill in half and give each party half of each.

You'll know this is a good solution because neither party will be happier than the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
The only solution is to cut the game and hundred dollar bill in half and give each party half of each.

You'll know this is a good solution because neither party will be happier than the other.

Now you're thinking outside the box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Now you're thinking outside the box!
It's not so much a box anymore... they're more like two weirdly shaped bowls now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.