Popular Tags: [View All]
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had similar polls for previous legacy games. I've made each box a separate poll to avoid spoiling the rate at which content is unlocked.

Poll
In what game did you complete the milestone to open Box 1 (Ship)?
20+
      188 answers
Poll created by Slyght

Poll
In which game did you complete the milestone to unlock Box 2 (Buildings)?
20+
      130 answers
Poll created by Slyght

Poll
In which game did you complete the milestone to unlock Box 3 (Monument)?
20+
      112 answers
Poll created by Slyght

Poll
In which game did you complete the milestone to unlock Box 4 (Octopus)?
20+
      102 answers
Poll created by Slyght

Poll
In which game did you complete the milestone to unlock Box 5 (Eye)?
20+
      85 answers
Poll created by Slyght

Poll
In which game did you complete the milestone to unlock Box 6 (Wave)?
20+
      29 answers
Poll created by Slyght

Poll
In which game did you complete the the campaign?
20+
      23 answers
Poll created by Slyght
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a question/comment about boxes 2 and 3

Spoiler (click to reveal)

It seems weird to me that a bunch of people report opening box 2 in game 2, but nobody reports opening box 3 that early.

For us, neither was possible until game 3, but we had multiple people aiming for the box 2 milestone all game and nobody was able to complete it (because no sell goods +2 advisor came up). Meanwhile, I went and found a Tomb to open box 3. At least, I'm pretty sure it was box 3 because the cards have a little number 03 at the bottom.

After the game, my wife was pretty furious that the milestone she was aiming for was so difficult to achieve, but it seems like most people didn't have this issue. Is that true? Are some people mixing up the box numbers?

Not a huge deal, just wondering what other people's experience was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
I have a question/comment about boxes 2 and 3

It seems weird to me that a bunch of people report opening box 2 in game 2, but nobody reports opening box 3 that early.

For us, neither was possible until game 3, but we had multiple people aiming for the box 2 milestone all game and nobody was able to complete it (because no sell goods +2 advisor came up). Meanwhile, I went and found a Tomb to open box 3. At least, I'm pretty sure it was box 3 because the cards have a little number 03 at the bottom.

After the game, my wife was pretty furious that the milestone she was aiming for was so difficult to achieve, but it seems like most people didn't have this issue. Is that true? Are some people mixing up the box numbers?

Not a huge deal, just wondering what other people's experience was.

Spoilers box 2 and 3

I think it's just a case of having the right advisors showing up. There are a lot of Sell+2 advisors to be found, especially if someone updates preexisting advisors for that.

On the other hand, my gf and I had the same experience you had : found the 1st Tomb very early (a very lucky dice roll) and no Sell +2 advisors on game 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
Is someone able to provide a list of the names of milestones that open each box?

I can't remember when we opened what (except the last box) and I wish I could reconstruct the timeline -- milestone names won't give me the exact game, but they'll be a help.

[edit: thanks, guys posting below!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@Osuniev:

You say there are a lot of +2 sell advisors, but we went through over half the deck and saw none. None of the base game advisors are sell +2, and none of us saw fit to upgrade the sell values.

The instructions for opening box 1 say to wait until end of game after applying end of game step, so we didn't even realize that it would be a good idea.

@Hexprone
Box 1 opens from "Darkness Stirs".

Box 2 probably opens from "Trade Flourishes"
Box 3 opens from "Ancient Secrets Unearthed"

Don't know about the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexprone wrote:
Is someone able to provide a list of the names of milestones that open each box?

I can't remember when we opened what (except the last box) and I wish I could reconstruct the timeline -- milestone names won't give me the exact game, but they'll be a help.

Box 1
Darkness Stirs - Raid a 6-defense site

Box 2
Trade Flourishes - Sell 4 goods of the same type in a single turn

Box 3
Ancient Secrets Unearthed - Find a Tomb of the Ancients

Box 4
A Fable Reborn - Use the Strange Chart to find an island

Box 5
Whispers Made Real - Use the Ornate Chart to find an island

Box 6
The End is the Beginning - Find the island at the end of the world
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Slyght wrote:
Hexprone wrote:

Box 5
Whispers Made Real - Use the Ornate Chart to find an island

Do you happen to remember which box this milestone is in? We have the Ornate Chart, but not the milestone it unlocks, which is super bizarre because there are no stipulations on the chart (like the Strange Chart has).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
much0gust0 wrote:
Do you happen to remember which box this milestone is in? We have the Ornate Chart, but not the milestone it unlocks, which is super bizarre because there are no stipulations on the chart (like the Strange Chart has).

Box 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The chart is in one box, the milestone is in another

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, folks. Always better to check and be sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
@Osuniev:

You say there are a lot of +2 sell advisors, but we went through over half the deck and saw none. None of the base game advisors are sell +2, and none of us saw fit to upgrade the sell values.

Wait really ? I'm pretty sure we had several... They might have come from box 3 then...

EDIT : You're right. I guess we updated the Sell+1 to Sell+2 at some point (I was using the merchants guild a lot in the early game so I guess this might have been why)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, until yesterday I was sure we had several as well. Shows how much I was paying attention to them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have additional statistics to post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been updating my info as we play through it (one game a week). We just opened box 4, 7 games in so it looks like we are a little bit behind the curve but still having fun.

Whoever is in charge, is there any way to change the poll so that the game end goes up to 24? There is no way anyone is ending the campaign in the first 5 games so I think those can be removed, but there is a chance a game might go to 21 or more (as of now it just says 20+).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
Anyone have additional statistics to post?

Glad you bumped this. I hadn't voted since opening box 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bjstover wrote:
I've been updating my info as we play through it (one game a week). We just opened box 4, 7 games in so it looks like we are a little bit behind the curve but still having fun.

Talking about being behind the curve, we just opened Box 3 during Game 8. We've had Box 4 open for three games already before getting Box 3 open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Dexter345 wrote:

Talking about being behind the curve, we just opened Box 3 during Game 8. We've had Box 4 open for three games already before getting Box 3 open.

We opened Box 3 before Box 2. Box 2 was just so hard with The Smuggler being the only available Advisor who allowed you to sell 4 goods in one turn.

Edit: I tell a lie, it was the Caravan Driver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! We opened Box 2 in game 2. I think since we opened Box 1 during game 1 and we knew it was a goal, somebody kept a +1 sell advisor and upgraded it with another +1 sell. With Box 3, I would always start games showing the available Milestones and saying, "My guess is you need to
explore a skull site
to do this," but nobody felt prepared enough to try it until the last game we played, especially since it wasn't a sure thing. Selling 4 goods at once was a lot easier to predict, plan for, and execute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I was far too fond of my Foreman and his Upgrade -6. It was, admittedly, a surprise when we discovered that Advisors that we thought might have Sell Goods +2, like the Renowned Merchant, didn't. And neither of us thought of getting the Guildhall.

It happened on game 3. I think by that stage, one of the players already had a Ship with Explore +5 and the Renowned Explorer with Explore +4, which with some Research cards and presumably some Ship Upgrades was enough to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
After opening Box 3 during Game 8, we opened Box 5 during Game 9. I think we're right back in line with most groups now (or perhaps one game slower), we just took a weird path to get here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess your table was
(Box 3, but loosely so)
intimidated by those high-difficulty sites? In my campaign, I looked at those skull sites, figured there *had to be something good there, and dove right in. The fact that I could use fortune there and the research bonuses for those sites tended to be better actually made them more appealing than most of he lower-difficulty sites, ironically enough...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Box 3

It was a combination of things. The very game we got the box 3 unlock milestone out, I said "I bet the skull sites are tombs." And I would say it at the start of every game after that when laying out the milestones.

I personally never went for it because I was better suited for the colony milestones (have five structures, have three active colonies). Two others were going for the same ones as me. (Sadly, I didn't get either.) But we had three games in a row where somebody was one turn away from building a third colony but something (or someone) prevented them from doing it.

I can't say for sure why the other two players didn't go for the 12-value sites. One spent most of the time raiding (at least until Box 4 opened) and the other spent most of the time discovering new islands (perhaps because the rewards were known for those).

What's crazy is now we're finding tombs on the turtle sites too. We never even bothered with those, thinking they couldn't be that great. I had a turtle research card from somewhere around Game 3. I would have spent it right away if I had known how much good could have come of it. I guess that's how this game goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Neppel
msg tools
mb
Making a reply to bump and hopefully update this Poll thread. There's been a LOT more players I think over the past 6 months... let's see if we can get any more data, especially about the final boxes.

For my group, we are currently in the middle of Game 10 (we often times have to stop at Winter because of our vastly AP ways), we opened box 5 in Game 7. Rest of pertinent details, regarding Box 5, in spoiler below.

Our group of 4 has interrogated enough to know that we can scan the backs of advisors, the Tomb Map, and the tablets. I have just acquired a 3rd tablet but don't have a full set yet for any of the entries. I am close, as one tablet for one of the known trinities was stolen from me before I could take a "shine" to it, legally. Our group has found 2 guild leaders with the special chart. Ker has been conquered, but not Patmos, nor the Temple yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.