Burgle Bros.» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Job: The Pentagon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, after having successfully completed the layouts provided in the rulebook, I created a custom layout to challenge my usual gaming crew. We call it "The Pentagon" and the job is themed out accordingly. We've played through with this layout once, and it was fairly challenging, but we did complete it. I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement, so if you have a suggestion, feel free to share!

Setup:

There are two floors for this map. The main floor is roughly shaped like a pentagon, and includes one safe (containing the Key Card) and a stairwell down to the basement. The bottom floor is much smaller, and contains two safes (one containing Gold Bars, and the other the Isotope). You must crack the safe on the main floor and secure the Key Card before you will be able to open the safes on the lower level. Once you have secured all of the loot, you must escape the only way possible - right out the front door.

Two guards patrol the main level. One patrols up and down the central six tiles, moving one space per turn. This guard does not respond to alarms, and only changes direction when he reaches the end of the hallway. He DOES however, increase his pace with the trigger of silent alarms (cracking safes) on either floor. The other guard on this floor follows the standard rules and starts the game with a move value of 3.

The lower level has one guard following the standard rules, who begins the game with a move value of 2.

Special Setup Instructions:
You will only use the corresponding guard movement cards for each floor. For the lower level you will use the Black 2 cards: A1, B1-4, C1-4, D1-4.

For the main level you will use all White 1 cards (except for A1), White 3 cards: B2, C3, D4, the Black 3 cards: B1, C4, D3, and the two blank destination cards with triangles in the lower corners. See the picture for the corresponding location layouts.
EDIT: Corrected tile image.

Remove the following room tiles from the game:
1 Staircase,
2 Atriums
3 Walkways

Set up the lower level first. Certain tiles are fixed and are placed face up. (These locations constitute your team's reconnaissance work.)

For the main level, the only fixed, face up tile is a detector at the center/top of the pentagon. Shuffle one safe and one stairwell in with the rest of the remaining tiles, and create the rest of the floor with random, face down tile placement. The staircases will determine how the two floors line up in regards to tools such as the Thermal Bomb.

And that's pretty much it! Hope you enjoy it, and again, share any suggestions or questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this! I'm adding it my collection of variants to try some time.

I see one possible (small) problem:

Until you know where the STAIRS is on the main floor, effects like THERMAL BOMB are undefined (as you mention in your post). The pictures show the main floor STAIRS and SAFE tiles face up, so there is some confusion.

Maybe you intended for the main floor SAFE and STAIRS tiles to start face up in fixed positions as your pictures show (contrary to what your post says).

Maybe you intended for effects like THERMAL BOMB to just do nothing unless/until the location of the STAIRS tile on the main floor is already known (what the post says, but not what the pictures show).

I'm wondering which you intended.

Since there is value in having the floors line up differently every time, this is what I probably would do:

Randomly place the STAIRS tile on the main floor by shuffling it in face up and placing the tiles starting with the top row, going left to right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed bigger problems:

1) The picture of which cards to use for the main floor guard shows 25 cards. The picture of the main floor tiles shows 24 tiles. To match the guard card picture, it should show 26 tiles - 25 that correspond to the 25 guard cards plus 1 DETECTOR. If the guard card picture is right, you missed the upper 2 corners.

2) 26 tiles on the main floor plus 13 tiles on the basement floor equals 39 tiles. That means 9 tiles should be removed, not 6. What are the other 3 tiles to remove? Or is the layout supposed to have 3 more tiles? (If so, where do those tiles go?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You are correct. The Thermal Bomb was not usable until the location of the stairs was determined. Then the lower floor location would be based off of the two stair tiles connecting - which means if the stairs are in a lower right corner, the Thermal Bomb is effectively useless. We toyed with making the stairs fixed, but I was really trying to keep the main floor as open to the random element as possible, without dictating the placement of too many tiles.

As for the number of cards/tiles that was a total whoops on my part. There should be the same number of cards as tiles. The tiles were correct, the cards were the issue. So, pull the extra two corners and everything else should be good.

Alternately, you could use a "Lost Visual" card to indicate the top Metal Detector card, sort of a guard checking in at HQ type situation.

I've corrected the layout in this photo, and will edit the post above with the corrections. Thanks for the catch, sorry for my delayed response! Let me know how the play goes/went as I'd love to refine this variant a little more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.