11 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Warp Lanes, System Connection Qs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Federali Aundy
msg tools
Two questions:

1. If a ship had two or more warp tokens, can it leave a system at warp, form a new space lane connection to a system he controls, pass through that controlled system and continue traveling at warp to explore a new system? I think so, but wasn't sure if travelling through a new space lane will end a ship's movement.

2. When connecting a floating system to another system, I don't believe the system can be lifted off the board. Now can a floating system be rotated or spun if by doing so part of it would drift outside the playing area while being rotated? Note that the final position of the system would be a playable area - I am just wondering if the system can be rotated through an area outside of the playing area. If not, playing systems on the edge turned away from a Rival would be a great way to keep Rivals from connecting to your system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Federali_Aundy wrote:
Two questions:

1. If a ship had two or more warp tokens, can it leave a system at warp, form a new space lane connection to a system he controls, pass through that controlled system and continue traveling at warp to explore a new system? I think so, but wasn't sure if travelling through a new space lane will end a ship's movement.

2. When connecting a floating system to another system, I don't believe the system can be lifted off the board. Now can a floating system be rotated or spun if by doing so part of it would drift outside the playing area while being rotated? Note that the final position of the system would be a playable area - I am just wondering if the system can be rotated through an area outside of the playing area. If not, playing systems on the edge turned away from a Rival would be a great way to keep Rivals from connecting to your system.

1. Yes as long as you aren't block by opposing ships or discovering a new system. It's never explicitly stated that getting a new space lane ends your movement.

2. Correct, it cannot be lifted off the board. The rules say that no, no part of the planet may go outside of the play area. My friends and I would care if it was a slight edge, but up to about 1/3 of the disc would be the cut off for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:

2. Correct, it cannot be lifted off the board. The rules say that no, no part of the planet may go outside of the play area. My friends and I would care if it was a slight edge, but up to about 1/3 of the disc would be the cut off for us.

Can you point out where it says a system can't swing off the board, John? Because I only see rules about final placement and not crossing space lanes when floating a connection around.

This is a great question. Personally, I would allow it. The limits for a floating space lane are existing, locked space lanes limiting the arc it can move through. And final placement of a system disc is limited by the physical space on the map allowing it. Adding that it cannot swing over the map edge during placement, to me, would be a third restriction.

My reasoning is that, unlike something like X-Wing Miniatures, the planet and space lane aren't actually maneuvering through that space. But I'd be curious to hear an official ruling (unless I missed it in the book).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mb
For #1, I agree with the other comments. When exiting warp, or even burning through tokens at impulse, you can connect to an existing system, and if it is passable, (and you have movement remaining), you can continue on through another new or existing space lane.

For #2, I also don't see in the rulebook where you can't swing systems around out of the play area, then back into it again, in order to avoid swinging over an existing lane.
Until there's an official clarification (or unless there already is one I don't know about), I would allow this if everyone agreed beforehand. My guess is that when GF9 clarifies it, they will not allow it. I'm guessing this way because sometimes not all edges of the play area are equal. If one edges of the play area is a physical wall, you'd have to pick up the system to swing it through the wall, which breaks the "no picking" up rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kcrandall15 wrote:
If one edges of the play area is a physical wall, you'd have to pick up the system to swing it through the wall, which breaks the "no picking" up rule.

My guess is that the "no picking up" rule is more about not moving over existing space lanes than actually not picking anything up. We often bumped the map and had to pick up and replace numerous jostled lanes and planetary discs. Building out the system map is tons of fun, and how you place lanes and discs is already plenty challenging without also cutting off usable map space because you might cross the play area border for a second. Definitely a good question, tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federali Aundy
msg tools
Well I will keep an eye open for something official from GF9 on this. I am playing on a space mat that is the appropriate size for the game, but could understand how the edge might not be as fixed if playing without the mat.

I personally like not being able to rotate outside of the playing area as I think it could lead to some interesting decisions on system placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) that is possible, entering a new system forces you to stop, but not for entering new spacelanes. spacelanes are practically empty space, while a system contains elements that you want to inspect/study more closely.

2) as long as you dont need to pick up the spacelane/system then you are free to swing it around, even off the playing field as long as final position is on the playing field.
nothing is fixed in place until it has 2 spacelanes connected to it. given the freedom of swinging allowed by the rules this is no different.

likely there will indeed be a physical edge or you would cross into the area where each faction puts their stuff so you should be stopped by the "no pick up" rule. if you have to move anything (except another floating system) out of the way to do it, its not allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Jensen

Arizona
msg tools
1) As others have said, you are able to proceed through an existing system and discover a new space lane and system while at warp. Just like at the start of the game when you; 1) Command: Enter Warp, 2) Command exit Warp, to discover your first systems, the need to add a space lane does not stop the warp, only when entering new systems or encountering hostile ships.

2) I would tend to disagree with most of the posters here. I would not allow the rotated planet to leave the play area. First, it called the "Play Area" for a reason, I don't feel that pieces should be allowed to leave it. Especially is the planet has been colonized or has ships at it, this would cause game pieces to leave play. Secondly, the placing of space lanes to limit you opponents options is a valid tactic and this invalidates some of that strategic tactic. Without a solid response from the Devs, I would not allow this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth mentioning that the Game Area section on page 4 doesn't have any hard-and-fast rules. The only firm rule is that the starting systems need to be equidistant. The rest is left up to player agreement.

I guess it's another letter-of-the-law versus spirit-of-the-law debate. I'm a spirit-of-the-law kind of guy. From a graph theory point of view, swinging floating systems outside the play area doesn't alter the graph that is the network of system discs (vertices) and warp lanes (edges). Picking up system discs and warp lanes, though, absolutely does change the graph.

The rules also don't explicitly say anything about pieces leaving the game area. It makes me think of miniatures games like X-Wing and Armada where the rules specifically state that a ship model is removed from play if it leaves the play area. Ascendency doesn't have a rule like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swankidelic wrote:
It's worth mentioning that the Game Area section on page 4 doesn't have any hard-and-fast rules. The only firm rule is that the starting systems need to be equidistant. The rest is left up to player agreement.

Yup. This was something that occurred to me after I posted. I have a bit of OCD, so I insisted on a hard border for our game. I put down a clearly defined circle. For people using the player boards to roughly define the play area, it would be harder to say where the edge actually is.

I still contend that picking up pieces is less literal and more a figurative way to demonstrate not letting floating systems and lanes cross any fixed systems and lanes, though. If anything, picking up a lane to move it (assuming it's a legal move) will cause less disruption to the map, as maintaining contact while rotating it invariably means the fixed system will get nudged, unless a second player jumps in to hold it down while you swing the lane and connected system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
The external boundaries are arbitrary (whatever space on which we choose to play) so I have always used the laxer rule: as long as everything winds up kosher.
Having too big a space solves the problem but allows the Fed player to develop beyond the reach of the Ks and Rs, which is more defensible but not good for the game. A more restricted space encourages backdoor attacks, which does make for a good game. When we add expansion packs, though, the equidistant starting positions will no longer be possible (as long as we have to play in 2-D space), and, I presume, there will be a more congested center, making it harder to reach the player directly opposite. I'm curious about how that will work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.