1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What do you focus on when looking at a KickStarter Project? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taela Sky
msg tools

Poll
When assessing whether or not to back a board/card game KickStarter, what 3 sections of the project page are MOST important to you?

Only select 3.
KickStarter Video
Game's Back Story/Theme
Game Components
How to Play
Rules
Reviews
Pledge Level Explanations
Stretch Goals
Artwork
Other - please list in you post
      128 answers
Poll created by taelasky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
You really left price off the list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I never watch the video. I also won't consider a project that only explains how to play in a video and not in text. I don't have time to wait for someone to get around to explaining the critical mechanisms, I want to jump right to what I'm interested in and that is too hard to do in a video.

I also pay particular attention to when the campaign ends because I get paid monthly so if it ends near the end of the month there is a good chance I will not be able to afford it, whereas campaigns ending just after the start of the month are safe(r).

I obviously also look at components and pledges to see if I think the value is worth the idea.
cormor321 wrote:

"Pledge level explanations"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:

cormor321 wrote:

"Pledge level explanations"

Would, in my mind, be something completely different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm getting particular in my old age, so Artwork has to meet my aesthetics, how the game plays and the theme are usually my top 3. Then I look at the costs and stretch goals, but if the first 3 are great to my pallet, I can usually work around the rest, although if money is tight and there are no exclusives, I might still decide to wait for retail. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
At this point I'm primarily trying to just stick w/ games that are expansions to games I already have or are from companies I know/have had a good experience w/. There are of course exceptions, like the recent Siege of the Citadel since that was a "grail game" of sorts for me

On a side note, I generally don't watch the main KS video anymore and look for review videos first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shipley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The project creator's track record on prior projects - were they successful and on time, for example. First projects are the most risky to back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rws2029 wrote:
The project creator's track record on prior projects - were they successful and on time, for example. First projects are the most risky to back.

This. And also, if it is being designed by someone whose games I already like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the stuff that's already been mentioned:

Projected shipping cost/fulfilment plans: Going for a kickstarter campaign implies that the creater decided for direct marketing instead of more traditional publishing venues. If it looks as if the creator isn't up to the logistical challenge (e.g. international shipping costs are close to what a private person would pay), I'm going to assume that the creator didn't chose direct marketing because it's a suitable business model but out of necessity because the product simply isn't up to the competition at traditional publishers.

Fraudulent advertising: Attempts to generate interest for the game that are trying to trick me are a red flag, no matter if it's a paid "review" on the KS page, a conspicuous "new user" at BGG who just so happens to be in love with a game that shouldn't even be available right now, or anything similar to that. If the creator feels the need to trick people into buying the product, the product by itself must be seriously flawed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
honestly, I'm looking for some history. if the company/persons have put out something great I might chip in if it looks like something I like. so that means I'm not taking chances with unknown people or companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a kickstarter for a game has a solo option without waiting for a stretch goal, I will usually star it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taela Sky
msg tools
Thanks. I did forget price specifically, having rolled it into Pledge Levels. Though in hindsight I can see that those could be to separate things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never do anything with KS but I look at them off and on and one thing that really strikes me as a turn off is the state of the component and art depictions.

Some games have pictures of the prototype components and nice, finished cards and rules and it makes me think "These people have it figured out. I have some confidence in their process. All they need is just get the money to print this thing and it's good to go!"

Other times I see a KS and the pictures of the "game" are poorly done renders with not a single working prototype or completed component in sight, and artwork that is half completed or just has some message such as it being in progress. These would tell me that these people either started to fund raise way before they even fully knew what they were making and/or are going to blow all the KS money on trying to develop something and then not have anything left to actually produce the thing and send it to anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Print and Play option is a must for me. Most of the Kickstarters will be made in US and have horrendous shipping rate and 1 out of three , no EU friendly option.

Shipping rate is hardly the creator's fault and, speaking of big productions, it is normally taken care of.

But I use Kickstarter to help small indie producers ( like the one I'm doing now, Tavern Masters) and this is simply something that they cannot offer.

So the first thing I look at is PnP option. I like to build my games anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taelasky wrote:
Thanks. I did forget price specifically, having rolled it into Pledge Levels. Though in hindsight I can see that those could be to separate things.

Yes, being able to assess the total cost is crucial. As attractive as the pledge levels may look, the cost of postage and potential customs charges can be prohibitive. Whilst I accept that the cost of postage is not within the control of the creator, some have been able to find more efficient ways to ship their games while others just expect you to accept it. If someone has clearly put thought and effort into making their product more affordable for me I'm far more likely to buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
Never watch videos. Don't care about the creator's story.

I back games that I think I'll get to the table. Player counts. Play styles. Themes. From there it's the slickness of the page that I guess gives me confidence that the company will get it done... although with companies following CMON's format that can be a bit of a murky area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Price and EU friendly are things that are important to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I dislike is when a successful publisher uses KS to cut out distributors and retailers, and still charges MSRP. Extra hate when they repeat the process over multiple expansions.

And then imagine the self-loathing when I can't resist and one night I ultimately back it.

Not gonna name names, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ringo Stalin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rws2029 wrote:

Randombias wrote:
Going for a kickstarter campaign implies that the creater decided for direct marketing instead of more traditional publishing venues.

A combination of these factors, as well as price.

If it appears that the creator has at least some idea of project and risk management, then I'm more likely to investigate further. If the 'Risks' section states 'I've never done a Kickstarter before but I'm pretty sure everything will be fine', then alarm bells go off.

Project transparency also goes a long way. I'll balance cost against the tiers on offer and what the money is going towards.

And finally, I look when the project is due to end to see if I'll actually have money in my bank account at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm usually more focused on mechanics than art when evaluating a game, but for Kickstarters the artwork and components are especially important since there's usually not enough reviews to be able to make an informed judgment on the mechanics. Most Kickstarters I've backed have therefore been more of an impulse decision, where price is also an important factor. I will always look at how the game plays and who is making it, but I do that with all game purchases. I also never watch the videos because I'm usually on my phone at a lecture or something.

Another big factor for me is shipping cost. I live in Europe and while there's EU-friendly shipping on most moderns Kickstarters, I refuse to pay a significant percentage of the game price for shipping when I can just wait for the game to get to retail if it's good enough. An example of this is Tiny Epic Galaxies, which recently had a Kickstarter for its expansion. I really wanted to buy the game and expansion double pack because the game looks interesting and I like getting the extra goodies exclusive to Kickstarter, but I think the shipping was 20$ for a 40$ game, which is just insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I only kickstart projects from established creators which offer backers some substantial value over retail. The idea being that the game is likely to arrive largely as described and that if it ends up not being for me, I can unload it for cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Rules/how to play. Also, getting a better deal than retail (whether it be price, or through promo content) is important, otherwise there's little incentive to pledge now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More specific than the choices:

The final components shown should look professional, or at least a good idea of what I will actually get. I can't count minis or renders since things change a lot with those, but if I see 30 second pencil drawings on paper in a stand, or lined notebook paper pasted together for a board, I don't trust they are far along enough to make it worth backing. Artwork is somewhat related, but I expect to see at least some final artwork. If there are only a handful of pieces shown and the ship date is within the next 3 months, I don't buy that your artist can do a good job getting the rest done in time to ship. It's simply not possible.

How to play does *NOT* include videos. Video may be good for a lot of people, but since most of the time, there is a lot of filler that doesn't help, I want to see text and pictures giving me a graphical view of a sample turn (if not the entirety of the rules). If you are looking for my money and can't take the time to do this, I suspect you have no print-ready rules and therefore have not gotten to a refined blind test stage yet.

Rules are related to this. If the rules are a mish-mosh of run on sentences in a block of text, it's no good to me and would be a waste of time trying to decipher it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
After looking at how much the product appeals to me, I'm mainly considering
-Value. Am I getting a significant savings over retail, either by price or add-ons
-Creator's history in the industry and of KS project delivery (if applicable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume it's just hard to do a KS video "well" about a board game, but wow most KS videos are terrible. I look at art, originality, and price, though I've backed like 3 things in a year so..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.