5 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk» Forums » Rules

Subject: Haunt 54 Question *Spoilers* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just played this last night with some friends.

It was the biggest game of Betrayal we ever played, and the longest we had ever went on without the haunt happening! When 7 omens were on the table, I even got the * Haunt, which insisted we ignore the haunt roll because we haven't finished the other haunts yet.

It was hilarious. I was Professor Donald Pleasance. The first thing I did was go upstairs, into a bathroom, and got stabbed by a puppet. Then I found a cat. Then I heard two more cats in a wall, and they scratched me! Really funny in my mind to imagine all this happening to an old guy.

Anyway, it was lots of fun!

Turns out, I was the traitor.

Now, I had to get 4 monsters in the ballroom, or kill all the other players. I did win the game by getting four monsters into the ballroom, but my question is about what the other player could have done.

I managed to kill two of the other players, one of which joined my team, since the Zombie Lord was active.. The other player was killed by the Zombie Lord, so it appeared he just died and stayed dead.

Now, The surviving player. His win condition was to take out two monsters, I think. At some point, he was unable to do anything though. He said at the end, that the things he needed to win, were already in my character's possession.. the omens, items, whatever.

I thought perhaps his next best move would have been to wait for more monsters to appear, but I'm not sure if that was clear to him in his part of the instructions.

If my character already has a number of the omens or items, or companions or whatever, that he needed to take out the monsters currently on the field, and he can't enter the ballroom, what are his other options for winning?

I believe it said I couldn't be attacked, and you can't steal omens, only items.. right?

Also, just another quick question. When the haunt begins, are omens and events still drawn for players entering rooms (either traitor or non traitor characters?).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendra Stockton
United States
California
flag msg tools
I haven't read this haunt yet, so I can't comment on that question, but my understanding is that yes, as you continue to discover rooms after the haunt has been revealed you keep drawing omens and events. You just don't make haunt rolls anymore.

Hope that helps! Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Doolittle
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hey! So me and my buddies played this one last weekend! Super fun haunt. But you're right, if the traitor has all the omens needed to banish the monsters, the players really can't do anything. It's VERY RARE that the traitor will have ALl the omens (you need 3) but still. We made up a house rule that Omens = Items for this haunt (and therefore can be stolen).

As for you not being able to attack the traitor, we agreed that stealing was allowed, but the traitor couldn't take any damage. (The player could take damage if they failed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good idea!

Thanks for your reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Loomis
msg tools
juliaeadoolittle wrote:
Hey! So me and my buddies played this one last weekend! Super fun haunt. But you're right, if the traitor has all the omens needed to banish the monsters, the players really can't do anything. It's VERY RARE that the traitor will have ALl the omens (you need 3) but still. We made up a house rule that Omens = Items for this haunt (and therefore can be stolen).

As for you not being able to attack the traitor, we agreed that stealing was allowed, but the traitor couldn't take any damage. (The player could take damage if they failed.)

Agreed. All this haunt needs is a way for heroes to steal the key omens and it's set.

One thing I would like to see in errata: clarification on whether the Zombie Lord's extra traitors also gain the "cannot be attacked" trait. We played with them immune to attack last night, and that got dumb in a few places, so I'm hoping that wasn't the intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.