Subject: Oops! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Mirror
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just played my first game of Pax Porfiriana (using Ricky Royal's solo variant) it was mechanically quite fun, though I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because I had no chance of losing this round. Suppose I'll actually read through the rules now to make sure I wasn't cheating, or maybe it's the Fates giving me a bunch of dumb luck in order to suck me in just to knock me around down the line. Regardless, I quite like the mechanics of the game. Seems like the right degree of chaos, and I'm really looking forward to trying this out with some other human folks just to get a feel for the gameplay tensions. This was my first Eklund title, and I'm starting to get a sense for the fanfare and the fan behavior around him.

For those of you who aren't total chaos junkies, how do you feel the game plays at 2 or 3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it solo, 3p, and 4p. It's awesome. I would assume it's equally as good with 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think three is the sweet spot but love the two player. The other counts are good to but the speed and control of the lower player counts is really lovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mirror
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
I think three is the sweet spot but love the two player. The other counts are good to but the speed and control of the lower player counts is really lovely.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Also just picked up your Pax game Cole. Though I haven't had a chance to play yet, quite looking forward to learning it. Just now dipping my toes into the Sierra Madre world, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they are going to swiftly climb the ranks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 is best IMO. If you play 4 or especially 5, use the Iron Hand rule to limit cheap early Topples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mirror
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Through my second solo play after reading through the rules. This game is starting to expose more of its potential and scope. Very excited to see where more plays take me, but I'm very happy for now to simply have such an immersive solo game with a fairly brief play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmb
I'll also show my support for 3 players.

Also look for the non-dice solitaire variant available in the Living Rules. You play against 2 bots which will give you the feel of playing against 2 opponents and all the pain it will bring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it with 3, 4 and 5 players. All are fun, but I consider 3 players the best. In a 3 player game I feel you have the right amount of control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CthulhuKid wrote:
I'll also show my support for 3 players.

Also look for the non-dice solitaire variant available in the Living Rules. You play against 2 bots which will give you the feel of playing against 2 opponents and all the pain it will bring.

This - it really does give you a great sense of playing with opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'm always a fan where you don't see everything every time you play. There is no, "sit back and wait for that killer card". It might not be in there, or the game might end before you ever see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.