6 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk» Forums » Rules

Subject: *Spoilers* Haunt 84 Clarifications *Spoilers* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Tuttle
msg tools
A few items for clarification if anyone has any thoughts:

1. If the traitor is loyal, but the heroes don't buy it and kill them anyway, do the heroes win?

Based on the fact that the traitor rules say that they "resist" the spirit, and the hero rules say that they win when they've killed all the bodies the spirit inhabits, I'd say no. It seems like no one wins in that case. Is it the traitor's job to inform the heroes of this after the traitor has died? Fortunately we avoided this in our game, because we eventually believed the traitor. But it was a very real possibility for a while.

2. Do heroes that have become monsters due to sanity loss still count as heroes whose knowledge must be reduced in order to trigger victory when the traitor is loyal? We assumed that they did not, since they had become monsters rather than heroes.

3. Do heroes that have become monsters due to sanity loss still "win" if the heroes win? Do they snap out of it or do they die?

Edit: Grammar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Berger
United States
California
flag msg tools
I think my friends and I just played this haunt wrong, but I will relay the experience here to see if others agree with our interpretation and outcome.

The traitor was Vivian Lopez, to her left was myself as Ox Bellows, capable of reaching her on his first turn. The hero win condition indicated we wanted to slay every possessed body. Vivian was loyal, but it being turn 1 we didn't even know of that as a possibility.

Ox Bellows attacks Vivian directly, with a margin of 8 physical damage. She dies. Game over..? When it is revealed he has to lose 2 sanity, he is still not at the skull symbol, so he is not a monster. No more bodies are possessed. (In fact, none were possessed to begin with, so the heroes had already won without knowing it).

At this point we just give up and all read both rule books to determine what has to happen. Was our special attack rule actually our only attack? Attacking the room Vivian was in would be the next guess as heroes. The role of the crystal ball from the hero's perspective was confusing, so we just planned (with traitor still absent) to use the might of Ox Bellows to attack anything hostile with a might trait.

However, once both rulebooks were read, it seems like the traitor and heroes were expected to both discuss a plan of action without knowing which information was secret. Traitor didn't know to directly instruct us to attack the room with the crystal ball.

A haunt ending after a single turn seems like a waste of a haunt and of its creator's efforts. The knowledge-altering mechanic was never even invoked. Anyone who has played this haunt, I'm curious what you think of our outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roderick
United States
Woodstock
Georgia
flag msg tools
We just had a similar experience. Even after reading both books, we aren't sure what needed to be done.

The scenario assumes heroes can figure out that they need to destroy the crystal. Our traitor was disloyal, so he said nothing. Ultimately, the chance to win was the loyal/disloyal roll.

This was our second scenario from this expansion. The first was also an issue. Needless to say, we're disappointed with this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael O'Donoghue
Canada
flag msg tools
new user
BboopNnb wrote:
A few items for clarification if anyone has any thoughts:

1. If the traitor is loyal, but the heroes don't buy it and kill them anyway, do the heroes win?

They do not. The traitor was loyal and innocent. The hero that attacks loses two sanity for killing the innocent hero/traitor.

Based on the fact that the traitor rules say that they "resist" the spirit, and the hero rules say that they win when they've killed all the bodies the spirit inhabits, I'd say no. It seems like no one wins in that case. Is it the traitor's job to inform the heroes of this after the traitor has died? Fortunately we avoided this in our game, because we eventually believed the traitor. But it was a very real possibility for a while.

It is not that nobody wins, as the surviving heroes still have the ability to defeat the Spirit themselves (by lowering their knowledge (aka forgetting) and also destroying the crystal ball. They just feel really bad for killing their friend unnecessarily. I think it is a fun spin that the game creators assume the heroes likely kill the traitor just to see what happens.

2. Do heroes that have become monsters due to sanity loss still count as heroes whose knowledge must be reduced in order to trigger victory when the traitor is loyal? We assumed that they did not, since they had become monsters rather than heroes.

No, heroes turned to monsters need to be killed to trigger victory.

3. Do heroes that have become monsters due to sanity loss still "win" if the heroes win? Do they snap out of it or do they die?

they have to be killed, as noted above

Edit: Grammar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael O'Donoghue
Canada
flag msg tools
new user
biggiemac42 wrote:
I think my friends and I just played this haunt wrong, but I will relay the experience here to see if others agree with our interpretation and outcome.

The traitor was Vivian Lopez, to her left was myself as Ox Bellows, capable of reaching her on his first turn. The hero win condition indicated we wanted to slay every possessed body. **Correction: The Spirit posses every hero's mind (knowledge), and that is really the key to the puzzle, so killing the traitor never equals victory** Vivian was loyal, but it being turn 1 we didn't even know of that as a possibility.

Ox Bellows attacks Vivian directly, with a margin of 8 physical damage. She dies. Game over..? When it is revealed he has to lose 2 sanity, he is still not at the skull symbol, so he is not a monster. No more bodies are possessed. (In fact, none were possessed to begin with, so the heroes had already won without knowing it). **Same correction as above, every hero is possessed by the Spirit just by being in the house, which is why the win condition is to lower everyone's knowledge to 0**. This is alluded to in the title, the intro and in the conclusion, and less so in some other areas - and most of all the traitor knows this, but you likely don't trust him/her.

At this point we just give up and all read both rule books to determine what has to happen. Was our special attack rule actually our only attack? Attacking the room Vivian was in would be the next guess as heroes. The role of the crystal ball from the hero's perspective was confusing, so we just planned (with traitor still absent) to use the might of Ox Bellows to attack anything hostile with a might trait.

However, once both rulebooks were read, it seems like the traitor and heroes were expected to both discuss a plan of action without knowing which information was secret. Traitor didn't know to directly instruct us to attack the room with the crystal ball. This is correct, the traitor has to inform the heroes of how to destroy the crystal ball and the heroes have to believe him/her and follow through, it is a twist that the two sides have to work together and trust each other

A haunt ending after a single turn seems like a waste of a haunt and of its creator's efforts. The knowledge-altering mechanic was never even invoked. Anyone who has played this haunt, I'm curious what you think of our outcome.

Our play through this haunt lasted a really long time because while we didn't kill the friendly traitor, we also did not trust what he was telling us, even though he was trying to help. We eventually gave in to the traitor being on our side and all got into the same room, got our knowledge down (to skull or one above) and destroyed the crystal ball by attacking the room. While we succeeded, the general sense of confusion gave the haunt a low approval rating by the group. I think I was the only one who enjoyed it as others thought it was too confusing and took to long. Some of our team was new to the game so perhaps this expansion Haunt is for seasoned players who want a twist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael O'Donoghue
Canada
flag msg tools
new user
mrroderick wrote:
We just had a similar experience. Even after reading both books, we aren't sure what needed to be done.

The scenario assumes heroes can figure out that they need to destroy the crystal. Our traitor was disloyal, so he said nothing. Ultimately, the chance to win was the loyal/disloyal roll.

This was our second scenario from this expansion. The first was also an issue. Needless to say, we're disappointed with this expansion.

This is very interesting as we had the friendly traitor. You make a great point, as I have no idea how the heroes would know how to attack the crystal ball or that it even needed to happen. Would be interested to hear more outcomes of groups that had the disloyal traitor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.