Popular Tags: [View All]
a7xfanben
United States
Binghamton/Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more series have been played! We decided to go in seed order - the second matchup would feature the #2 seed, and so on.

UPS 5 (#2 seed) (commanded by xerecs)
vs.
RtSS English (#15 seed) (commanded by a7xfanben)

This was my first time playing my RtSS fleet challenge entry, and my first time using the English native canoes. Of course, my fleet was in for a rude awakening, facing a UPS variant.

The canoes were designed to deny the Zeus from an island, but the Zeus sacced to explore first. The canoes scattered, while the Halcyon ducked into fog in anticipation of battle.

The Halcyon attacked but only scored one hit! This left the RtSS fleet in grave danger.

The Zeus sacs to sink the Halcyon! The Elthelfleda returns home with gold as canoes load gold.

The Elthelfleda gets home before the Zeus can strike, but things aren't looking good for the English.

The Zeus then went after the canoes, eliminating one and being pestered by another. The Zeus had lost some masts when the Elthelfleda redocked at her home island, firing at the Zeus in the process.

The Zeus eliminated the gold-laden canoes but this left the Elthelfleda to sail east for more gold. The Zeus docked home, but was still a huge threat.

The Zeus sacced to cut off the Elthelfleda before she could return home!

The Elthelfleda was captured and UPS 5 won the game 11-8!

The second game featured different home islands. I made the mistake of putting the canoes near the Zeus again, but it didn't seem to matter much.

Similar to the last game, but the Halcyon stays docked.

The Halcyon comes out and hits 2/3, trying to buy time for the gold runners.

The Zeus simply crushes the opposition. The Halcyon lies derelict while the Elthelfleda is close to being dismasted.

Now it was a chase for the canoes! I decided to spread them out, simply hoping that the Zeus would only be able to catch 2. The English were just trying to avoid being shut out at this point.

A canoe did manage to slip by, but UPS 5 still won the game easily, 9-2. UPS 5 advances to the second round!

The next matchup!

UPS 4 (#3 seed) (commanded by xerecs)
vs.
Quick wins the game (#14 seed) (commanded by a7xfanben)

It's important to note that the "Quick" fleet had the Coeur swapped out for Hidden Cove. The Coeur's explorer was moved to the Courageux, while Cissey was moved to the Vengeance.

The sea was set for Game 1!

It quickly (no pun intended heh) became apparent that this series would be considerably more interesting than the last two. The first was a mismatch with HMS GT emerging victorious, with the second matchup also ending in a predictable fashion. Here, both fleets possessed gold bonus abilities (3 for UPS 4, and 1 for Quick), and both fleets were generally focused on gold, though each also had a purpose-built gunship. Here, the French gold runners have abandoned their explorers in favor of more gold, while Captain Jack Sparrow (CJS) gets busy aboard the Coral up north.

I knew I needed to force the action with the Vengeance, or else the Pirates would get a huge lead with all of their gold bonuses. The Coral would be the primary target in all games of the series, and here the Vengeance dismasted her with a well-placed L-range shot! At the French home island, the Pique is about to be given an explore action to give her gold to the Courageux, who will redock to get Aristide's bonus on both hauls.

Battle erupts in the northwest, where the Longshanks and Vengeance duel. The Vengeance has a durability and cancelling advantage, but her gunners seemed tired to start this tournament. The Sea Crane has no UPS strategy to work with, so she sails out to get gold on her own.

After missing another shot, the Vengeance abandons the LS to go after the Sea Crane, hoping to cripple the ship before she docks home gold. The Courageux and Pique continue to tag team, getting the gold bonus on a single coin.

The Sea Crane did manage to get home in time, but the Vengeance was in cancelling range! Lenoir cancelled Genny Gallows, denying the Pirates an additional 2 gold. Battle then continued, with the Vengeance eventually winning out with just one mast remaining. The gold was counted up, and the Quick fleet had won a 19-14 upset! It helped that they had found most of the silver coins coveted by the Pirates.

For the second game the HI's would once again be at opposite ends of the playing area.

The Coral does her thing, and the Vengeance comes after her.

The Pirates can get gold extremely quickly, but the French have 6 coins on their runners. The Vengeance is not fast enough to catch the Coral...

Then things started getting interesting. The Pirates built Dead Man's Point on the island, but the Vengeance rammed off the Coral's single mast.

The fort took out a mast on the Vengeance and Barbinais along with it, but the Coral was dismasted after repairing.

The Coral sank, and the Vengeance and Longshanks went at it again!

The Vengeance couldn't overcome the combined firepower of the fort and LS. The French cleaned out their two islands, but the Sea Crane established the Devil's Maw on the center island. This effectively ended the game, and it was time to count!

The Pirates had won a 31-24 victory in one of the highest-scoring standard games you'll ever see! 55 total gold was counted, meaning that 25 extra gold had been created with the gold bonuses! (almost another game's worth of gold!)

A Game 3 finale was in order! The French got to go first, and I made sure that the Pirate HI was next to my own.

The French used Hidden Cove to spring the Vengeance to the center island. She then moved east, looking to attack the Coral once again.

Once again the Coral built Dead Man's Point:

The Vengeance got lucky and hit 3/4 on the fort to severely limit its return firepower. The Coral was in major trouble, with the LS too far away to help.

Similar to the first game, the Coral ran for it and was dismasted by a long range shot! As you can see, both fleets have unloaded some gold and received some bonuses from it.

The LS went after the French gold runners for the first time, but the Courageux fought back instead of running! The Vengeance went after the Sea Crane, and it looked like the Quick fleet could pull off a major upset if they could just dismast the remaining Pirate ships.

The battle in the center rages, with the Pique getting in on the action:

The LS was sunk and the Vengeance dismasted the Sea Crane to end the game!

The French had 16 gold to the Pirates' 9. Quick wins the game advances to the second round!

Here's the updated bracket. After two predictable matchups, we have our first upset. (The X's at the upper left mean that the fleet was eliminated without getting any gold, while the 0's mean that that fleet won the game despite not getting any gold.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Beaumont
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
You love this game more than I love anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Binghamton/Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RockstarSuperVillain wrote:
You love this game more than I love anything.

Hmmm... that seems like more a bad thing for you than a good thing for me, but perhaps you're exaggerating heh.

As if on cue, another report! arrrh

Norvegia (#4 seed) (commanded by a7xfanben)
vs.
Spanish Meta V2 (#13 seed) (commanded by xerecs)

The next matchup featured the classic Norvegia setup. We only had time for Game 1 so far.

The Neptune's Hoard (NH) found Rum on the middle island, freezing the ship for a turn. In hindsight, I could have used the ship's ability to trade away the UT, but in addition, Rum probably shouldn't be in the fleet in the first place.

The San Cristobal (SC) caught the NH and blasted most of her masts off. Luckily for the Pirates, the final mast standing meant the NH could return home with a sac action. The Star of Siam docked home gold on the turn as well, giving Norvegia a bit of a windfall. The Banshee's Cry (BC) is hiding from the SC while the Monarca runs gold.

At one point all the Pirate ships were docked at the home island, leading to the SC resorting to ramming.

The Monarca reached home with Buried Treasure (another UT I'm taking out of the Norvegia build for future games) and Spices, while the NH was able to damage the SC with a double action, including a ram of her own. The BC grabbed some coins but wasn't able to get them back home.

In the end, Barbary Banner and the sheer volume of gold gave Norvegia the victory! The final score was 23-16. We look forward to Game 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rivera
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the time and effort you put to share this with us.

Based on your experience Do you feel the French fleet in general are not balanced as well as British or Spanish ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Binghamton/Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
questfordragonlords wrote:
Thanks for the time and effort you put to share this with us.

Based on your experience Do you feel the French fleet in general are not balanced as well as British or Spanish ?

I would say the French might be a little more balanced. The English are more of a fighting faction, while I've found Spain to be a bit better at running gold than fighting, though they're excellent at both. You may find this thread interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.