Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Unique High Priests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, sorry but I am in an OS2 fever...

Do I recall correctly? It was said at some point that there was to be unique High Priests loyalty cards as part of Stretch Goals from OS2. Am I delusional? I dont heard anything about it for a long time now...
If it is true they will be physical as part of OS2 or just pdf to home print? If so when they will be released?

Thanks people. You are all awsome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you heard right. There were a list of them on a kickstarter update, I think. And they spoiled Herbert West.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
I *believe* that they were going to have physical loyalty cards printed for them, but no unique figures. The idea, if I remember correctly, was that when someone recruits their high priest they can either use their normal high priest or take one of the unique cards from the pool and then that card becomes their high priest unit for the rest of the game.

But, like I said, this is half remembered from a seriously long time ago, so take it with a grain of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul is right ! They are quite a good number of them (about eight different ones if I remember correctly) and when you recruit a High Priest you can chose the "classic" one or a named with his special power

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So they're going to be printed? I was hoping so, but never saw confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm - they will NOT be physically printed. Here are some things that will be digitally available for download within about a month or so:

A) Unique High Priests (8 of them)
B) the new 2 player rules (as a nice looking PDF)
C) the Colour out of Space rules

The following will also be setup as downloads, but we ARE printing physical versions of these:
D) Faction GOOs as Indies
E) Omega Master Rulebook

These will all be ready soon (alongside some other digital content with OMD), as soon as our re-vamped new website is online, which may take a few more weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
I can confirm - they will NOT be physically printed. Here are some things that will be digitally available for download within about a month or so:

The following will also be setup as downloads, but we ARE printing physical versions of these:
E) Omega Master Rulebook

These will all be ready soon (alongside some other digital content with OMD), as soon as our re-vamped new website is online, which may take a few more weeks.

Really, really getting excited for this, Arthur. Congrats on so many of PG's products starting to hit now. I can't wait to play OMD PvP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:

E) Omega Master Rulebook

So everyone gets the Omega PDF or only those who paid the additional? Yes, I bought the Omega Book, no I am not upset if this is the case I am just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Blozinski
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Will A, B & C be included in the Omega rulebook so we don't have to reference them separately?
I bought Omega rulebook and hope this is so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pollock1939 wrote:
Will A, B & C be included in the Omega rulebook so we don't have to reference them separately?
I bought Omega rulebook and hope this is so.

Yea, I really hope they are included in the book as well. Really don't want to have to have extra papers just sitting about after getting such a nice 'final' rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just downloaded the new PDFs this morning. Looks like fun!

I'm a bit confused by Arthur's statement that the A,B and C items won't be in the Omega Rulebook. I thought the whole idea was that Omega was going to be a 'zen' reference (one with everything).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that A, B and C will be in the Omega Rulebook. What Arthur meant was that there will be no official printed materials for those items (e. g. no loyalty cards for the Unique High Priests). You'll have to print those yourself, unless you think it's sufficient that the details are listed in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Blozinski
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The rules are posted. Here are my thoughts.
Asenath: Interesting, but very situational on usefulness. Obviously occupied gates will require at least minimal protection. The threat of losing one anywhere any time will mean other players must devote resources to an area otherwise considered safe. That threat will change how people play, so possibly the most broadly game changing of them.
Crawford: It says "any" battle. That means we can now have 3 factions in one battle. I guess the added forces must choose one of the two sides.
Ermengarde: My initial favorite. WAY cool. She can hurt everybody, including you, wherever she is.
Herbert: He is going to have lots of different useful applications.
Keziah: Oh damn! I want that one. Sacrifice him to hurt your enemy even more.
Lavinia: One point more efficient than a normal high priest in a single situation that most players hope only comes up once in a game.
Pitpipo: Pretty cool. Sacrifice him to save someone else, even from afar.
Joseph: One point more efficient at points creation in one case. A useful and common case, though. Or, you can scorched earth a gate that you're obviously going to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Crawford, you still have to be in the battle yourself, since Battle abilities require the faction to be involved (unless otherwise stated explicitly, such as Necrophagy and Cannibalism). It's just that he doesn't have to be in the battle.

Lavinia is only 1 point better than a standard high priest, true, but that's 1 extra point of power in (most likely) the 2nd turn, which might lead to some new early-game strategies (though nothing off the top of my head).

Joseph I see mostly as gate insurance. If you're set back, or end a round with a lone Cultist somewhere, you can instantly pop a Gate out, without having had to spend turns defending it. You could also use this to mess with Opener's plans (or Windwalker's or Great Cthulhu's, if you can control the right specific gate). Since you can pop High Priests in the Doom Phase, you might even use him on the Primeval map to remove your starting gate after you've scored from it, but before it gets Glacier'd, to deny all factions the 1 power bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Blozinski
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The Crawford rules are another case of intention of the rules not matching the wording. You are assuming the rule intends it to be limited to a battle your faction is already involved in. The rule does not say that. It says "Any". That means any. If you join any battle, even one your faction is not initially involved in, it is NOW involved in the battle.
I suspect the intention is for a limitation to your own fights. This needs a FAQ clarification as the wording does not match with that intention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember where I read it, but Battle abilities only apply for factions involved in the battle, unless otherwise stated. Necrophagy and Cannibalism specifically say that you (the faction owner) don't need to be involved, but Joseph Curwen's ability does not say that. The wording isn't really any different from any other ability (i.e. Seek & Destroy doesn't let Crawling Chaos enter into battles as a 3rd party), except that it points out Joseph himself does not need to be involved.

In other words, the default assumption is that any battle abilities used must be used by the Attack or Defender, and that any using unit must be present in said battle. Essential Salts only modifies the latter, and so the former remains in effect.

Of course, the fact that I can't remember where I read that is evidence that it might benefit from clarification whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hobbit
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the wording for Crawford is clear "any Battle", "off to one side", "can use any Pre-Battle or Post-Battle abilities they may have".

He will be very famous for WW (always keep 2 Gnoph in your pool), CC (3x Abduct) or a good use for Servitors.

The only questions i see, if you use "The Million Favored Ones" the extra units are already gone, so do the promotions stay or who controls them (the owner of Crawford or the Faction they battle for)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hobbit
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
By the way, if you want to see them in action, PBF #70.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alcex wrote:
The only questions i see, if you use "The Million Favored Ones" the extra units are already gone, so do the promotions stay or who controls them (the owner of Crawford or the Faction they battle for)?

In the comments of the KS update that revealed the Unique High Priests, Arthur clarified that Opener's units die even if promoted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:
Alcex wrote:

In the comments of the KS update that revealed the Unique High Priests, Arthur clarified that Opener's units die even if promoted.

there's no FAQ on that, by the way. But there's clearly nothing in the Million Favored Ones text that implies they are "protected" - the opposite is true, as it refers to "surviving" Units. The Crawford Units by definition DO NOT survive...devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Using Lavinia, one possibility.

TURN ONE - move a dude, build a gate, guard it with a 1-pt critter, recruit Lavinia

TURN TWO - start with 11 Power (thanks to Lavinia). Awaken Shub-Niggurath for 5 Power. Have 6 left to summon all three Dark Young.

Or Awaken Cthulhu for 7 Power. Have 4 left. Submerge. Emerge. Battle. Get your battle spellbook.

Or on the first turn summon a Spawn of Yog-Sothoth instead of building a Gate. Turn Two starts you off with 9 Power, and you get Yog out for 3.

Even if you only ever use Lavinia once, it seems that she is of definite utility. I agree that Herbert West can be used again and again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.