Subject: [WIP] MINTS - 2016 Mint Tin Contest - Component Ready rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex L
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An entry in the 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest.

Game Name: MINTS: Mini Interplanetary Network Tactical System

Designer: Alex L

Overview:
MINTS is a quick, head-to-head, asymmetrical dexterity game where two players attempt to destroy one another by flicking cubes. The attacking player controls a ship that can move around the playing area and the defending player is fighting to save their network of planets.

# of Players: 2

Suggested Play Time: 15 minutes

Components:
Note: cubes are 8mm, and the discs are ~15mm in diameter.
1 x metal tin
3 x Planet discs (blue)
1 x Ship disc (red)
2 x Shot cubes (1 red, 1 blue)
8 x Asteroid cubes (black)
3 x Energy cubes (yellow)
4 x Health cubes (white)
1 x Rules
Cards:
3 x Planet
1 x Planet Tracker
4 x Upgrades
2 x Ship Weapons
1 x Ship Tracker
1 x Player aid

Links to Files:
Cards (v0.5): https://www.dropbox.com/s/8c5wqx5o4u70jch/MINTS_cards_v0.5.p... (updated Oct. 24, 2016)
Rules (v0.5): https://www.dropbox.com/s/5cwq5su7vyy51l6/MINTS_rules_v0.5.p... (updated Oct. 24, 2016)

To Do:
- Art for cards: Ship Weapons, Player Aid, rules, tin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very compact little game, and I'm surprised no one has commented on it yet!

So far, the Defending player has more work to do while playing the game - as they are active in all four phases, and the Attacking player is only active in two of those phases.

Do the Attacking/Defending players ever switch roles during the game (Attacking Round 1, Defending Round 2, Attacking Round 3... etc...) or are you locked in as either Attacking or Defending from the start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex L
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Caroline!

Thank you for checking out MINTS!

Quote:
So far, the Defending player has more work to do while playing the game - as they are active in all four phases, and the Attacking player is only active in two of those phases.

Fortunately the game moves quickly enough that the attacking player doesn't have much downtime during the prep/cleanup phase. However, I am working on a set of changes to give the attacking player a few weapons to choose from during the preparation phase. I hope to post the updated rules later this weekend.

Quote:
Do the Attacking/Defending players ever switch roles during the game (Attacking Round 1, Defending Round 2, Attacking Round 3... etc...) or are you locked in as either Attacking or Defending from the start?

The roles do not switch during the game. I think I see how that may have been a bit confusing since "Attacking" and "Defending" are fairly generic terms and in the game both players are essentially "attacking" one another. I plan to eventually rename the player roles, but have not thought of any good alternative names yet. Maybe that's an opportunity to work in more minty puns!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex L
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 0.5 is out!

Major updates include:
- Energy
- Attacking player weapons
- New art for PNP

Here's a glimpse of one of the card designs that is still in progress:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cute art!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RAM Sport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
We played the MINTS game a few times and thought it was good. We preferred playing it on a bigger table (our 3’x3’ lunch table) for longer shots. We used backgammon discs for the spaceships and asteroids instead of cubes (dice). Perhaps you could have both players have 3 planets and 2 spaceships each to give it a bit more play. All in all, it was a nice break from card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javi Vidal
msg tools

Hi!
First of all, I want to congratulate you for creating this game, and to thank you for sharing it. I (think) am posting a picture that shows the hand-drawn spanish version I'm creating for my kids. I have a question, though. Since the cards you posted were black and white, I'm not sure if, when you raise the shield or generate an asteroid, you ALSO get to shoot a blue cube. Could you clarify? Lots of thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex L
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Javi!

First off, this is AWESOME! The picture looks great, and I'll be honest, I like your art MUCH better than what I have in the current game. Thank you so much for sharing and taking the time to check out MINTS.

On to your question..

Quote:
I have a question, though. Since the cards you posted were black and white, I'm not sure if, when you raise the shield or generate an asteroid, you ALSO get to shoot a blue cube. Could you clarify?

You are correct. In both cases, the defending player gets to shoot a blue cube. I should update the black and white files to make this more clear.

To add clarity to all cards, here are the 4 upgrade cards:

Asteroid: 1 Blue Cube, 1 Black Cube, Gain 1 Energy
Multi Shot: 2 Blue Cubes
Power Shot: Switch hands, 1 Blue Cube (does one additional damage if hit)
Shield: 1 Blue Cube, Reduces damage if the selected planet is hit, gain one energy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javi Vidal
msg tools
Great thanks for your answer!
Also, I'm glad you like the art, I'll post pictures of the Whole thing when I,m done, feel free to use anything you like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fuhrman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
this looks like fun!

there's a typo in the rules file during the preparation phase [plnet ---> planet]

To me, as I understand it, there seems to be no advantage to using the lasers instead of the Proton Missile... I may be not interpreting the rules correctly though. It sounds like the Proton missile CAN hit the planet, since you clarify that it does not HAVE to hit the planet. I'm assuming, then, that if you hit the planet, and your cube continues to go on past the 1" mark, it still counts as a hit? Or does your cube have to STOP within that 1" section, hitting the planet or not? Otherwise, I don't see why anyone would ever use the lasers, seeing as the missiles do the same amount of damage, hurt the defenders energy supply, AND have a better chance of hitting. I think I must be missing something. Thanks for clarifying in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex L
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Mark!

Thanks for checking out MINTS and pointing out the typo. I'll try to get the rules updated this week.

In regards to the Proton Missile, all that matters is where the cube lands. The cube can hit the planet in either situation, but does not change the outcome.

- If the cube is within 1", then it will count as a hit.
- If the cube lands outside of the 1", then nothing happens.

I was intending that it would be harder for the player to land within a 1" radius, rather than simply just hit the planet. Which is why the missile hurts the defending player more. However, during play testing, I've found it hard to balance a dexterity game given that each player's skill level is very different. Someone might be really good at landing within the 1" radius and may always choose the Proton Missile.

Hope this helps!
Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fuhrman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect. That makes sense. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.