Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I FINALLY got my hands on this classic after a couple years back in the hobby and it's as brilliant as everyone says it is...but it's also as visually unappealing as all the pictures appear. The player boards are thin, the art is lackluster and the whole game just looks, well, blah.

In my opinion, no game is screaming for a "Deluxe Edition" makeover than CoB. To anyone's knowledge, has this ever been discussed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2017!
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I FINALLY got my hands on this classic after a couple years back in the hobby and it's as brilliant as everyone says it is...but it's also as visually unappealing as all the pictures appear. The player boards are thin, the art is lackluster and the whole game just looks, well, blah.

In my opinion, no game is screaming for a "Deluxe Edition" makeover than CoB. To anyone's knowledge, has this ever been discussed?

There are a ton of threads here that discuss this subject. Nothing official has ever been announced. If one is made, I would guess it would be a 10th anniversary edition...and unfortunately, that's still quite a few years away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WooHoo1 wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

There are a ton of threads here that discuss this subject. Nothing official has ever been announced. If one is made, I would guess it would be a 10th anniversary edition...and unfortunately, that's still quite a few years away.

Sorry if this is a re-tread. I scanned the front page and didn't see a discussion.

A few recent examples like Ticket to Ride: 10th Anniversary, Orléans: Deluxe Edition, and Vinhos Deluxe Edition have really shone what an upgrade can do for a great game and it's amazing that it hasn't happened with this yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I believe I read somewhere that the next edition will feature player boards and tokens printed on newsprint and the guy on the box cover will finally turn around to reveal a frowny-euro-dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kinda an eye of the beholder thing too.

This is one of my favorite looking games. I love the natural colors color scheme. I like all the little bits of art on the components. I'd probably buy a deluxe edition with bigger tiles and boards, but only because I'd want to see the art better!

I might buy one that also included all the promotional materials since some of them are kind of pricey, but honestly I don't even like all the promos.

I don't get complaints about the player boards. Why does thick equal better? They're printed on high quality cardstock. They just sit there all game.

Drop an agricola board on it's corner or spill soda on it. You'll get the same damage. Except agricola weighs, more, is harder to store, and is more expensive.

The tiles are also high quality. Thick ones can be bad quality. Thin ones can be well made.

There's really not much more game you can buy for 20 bucks on sale (race for the galaxy.)

A collector's edition COULD be nice but it's just going to get as many complaints one way or the other, and they really hit the target well with the original release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2017!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm with the OP. I think a deluxe edition would be fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kynan Stuttard
Australia
Narre Warren South
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game as it is.. It really feels like a Feld Game like this.
Having said that.. id be one of the 1st to buy a deluxe version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not that I would mind, but it is an ALEA/Ravensburger release, and they don't cater to hobbyists so much as family audiences. Deluxe seems highly unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I would give to have Tasty Minstrel Games pick this up and give it the treatment it deserves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
What I would give to have Tasty Minstrel Games pick this up and give it the treatment it deserves...

What exactly do people have in mind?

It's not like there are resources to make wooden other than twenty silvers. There's no currency to pimp.

Is it just a bigger game people want? I might buy it with wooden hexagons if the art could still be printed on them.

Tiny wooden worker mini meeples would be sweet (though also just available to anyone who wants them. Which I totally do now.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

It's not like there are resources to make wooden other than twenty silvers. There's no currency to pimp.

Is it just a bigger game people want? I might buy it with wooden hexagons if the art could still be printed on them.

Tiny wooden worker mini meeples would be sweet (though also just available to anyone who wants them. Which I totally do now.)

A larger board with thicker cardstock for the hexes comes to mind immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

A larger board with thicker cardstock for the hexes comes to mind immediately.

Yup, maybe even double layered like in Scythe so the hex pieces fit.
Acrylic silverlings.
A insert that can be removed to aid set up.
Custom dice with the tower as the 6.
A board that's big enough so the score track doesn't look like they forgot they had to count to 100.
Individual art on the goods tiles.
Player aides that explain knowledge and building tiles, available actions, and scoring.
And definitely new art on everything. (Personally, I'd like to have Ryan Laukat take a shot at it, but we can all dream...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would for instance like all player boards to be available in quantity of 4, so I can play a fair game in which everybody has the same landscape (not only the basic ones, but *all* of them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.