Sea of Clouds» Forums » General

Subject: Tossing up between Sea Of Clouds and Celestia... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Brett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games look great, with a similar theme (one more explorer-themed, one more piratey), and both look compatible with both my family and gamer group.

Which should I go for? What aspects make them distinct from each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
NOt played either...I'm inclined more towards Merchants and Marauders, but between Celestia and Sea of Clouds, I'd go with Celestia...it feels more polished.Tom's reviews also favour Celestia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played Celestia but the game encourage you to try and trick your companions in letting the believe you can't go further. It's pretty interactive and lots of table talk. You can play cards out of your turn to help or maybe sabotage the flight.

From what i heard and saw of Sea of clouds it seems its more trying to just get better loot and cards. And there wouldn't be as much table talk in the game.

edit : i like Celestia so much i bought the expansion and the new playing mat for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Smith
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having now played both, I would definitely recommend Celestia over Sea of Clouds. Both are quick games but the push your luck element comes more to the fore with Celestia and it scales well.

Sea of Clouds is just too random. As another reviewer put it, it feels like you are simply a bystander as the game plays out. The set collection didn't work for me as I never saw the same elements to collect again. I lost every battle as I never had a chance to pick up powerful pirates. So I just sat in the corner getting steadily drunk on rum. In a 4-player game, 2 scored highly, and 2 barely registered a score, and none of us felt that this had anything to do with skill or the choices we made. Not inclined to bother trying it again. The production values are high and it might be more nuanced/balanced than I am giving it credit for, but I don't intend to find out.

Celestia is just pure fun. Yes, there is lots of luck, but it just feels right. I have played with 2, 3, 4 and 6 players, and whilst it is certainly better with more players, I have enjoyed it at every player count. The production is beautiful. I love the whimsical, fairy steampunk art, and the 3D airship is gloriously over the top. I like having to constantly make decisions on whether to trust the pilot, or bail out and take a lower value card. I also like the ability to hoard the Turbo cards to give yourself a better chance to continue a journey once other passengers have bailed. I would have liked more chances for passengers to be able to help the pilot, but I understand that this is remedied in the new expansion. A great, simple game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Sulik
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both games yesterday one after another with 4 players, I can say that Celestia came as the better one of the two.
It's more interactive, more tense and simply just more fun. All players enjoyed the game and immediately requested playing a second time.

While I enjoyed Sea of Clouds as well as a light filler, two other players didn't liked the game because of the high luck factor and lack of choices.
I still think it's a fine game for casual or family play, but you're just taking what you're dealt (or what's left) and that's it. In Celestia there is much more table-talk, bluffing and it plays up to 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Brett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your responses everyone. I actually bought Sea of Clouds as a Christmas gift for my children. Committed now!

I'll see how we go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So, how have you and your kids liked it so far?
I just played my first couple of games, and found it to be a pretty fun, quick game. Glad to add it to my slowly growing collection .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Brett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's turned out pretty good! It's been getting asked for a lot, and we have had more than 11 games so far. The art is great, and the fam has learnt to weigh up grabbing the most pirates vs the most relics & secrets. Obviously a balance of both is required.

Game length is appealing (about 45 minutes) and the take-the-loot-or-leave-more-for-the-next-player aspect is a dollop of delicious tension that everyone appreciates.

My only negative: As with any set collection game, rigorous shuffling is required before play to separate all the sets from the previous game. I try to do the shuffling at the end of a game to minimise setup for next time. The other issue is for two player games, removing a particular bunch of cards is also time consuming - remove all Siren Song cards, 5 rum cards and 5 pirate cards (I think).

Overall, definitely a worthy purchase. Celestia still interests me, but my budget is limited and there's too many great looking games that keep coming out (hello there Santorini!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Brett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcindore wrote:
Sea of Clouds is just too random. As another reviewer put it, it feels like you are simply a bystander as the game plays out. The set collection didn't work for me as I never saw the same elements to collect again.

Yuri wrote:
While I enjoyed Sea of Clouds as well as a light filler, two other players didn't liked the game because of the high luck factor and lack of choices.
I still think it's a fine game for casual or family play, but you're just taking what you're dealt (or what's left) and that's it. In Celestia there is much more table-talk, bluffing and it plays up to 6 players.

I am coming to the conclusion that the experiences you have both had may just be due to first game blues, where some familiarity with the sets being collected (and awareness of their comparative value and rareness) helps make decisions about what sets to pursue and what to let slide. Our first couple of games did indeed seem random, but we were just happily piling up loot and taking whatever because it was so varied and rich in theme. Once we were more experienced we knew how better to mitigate the luck of card draws, monitoring what sets other players were chasing and trying to compete with or hamper them.

It sounds like Celestia is more of an immediate results game, with each round's outcome fixing largely on the bluff factor. Sea of Clouds requires slower consideration and pursuing sets that present themselves to you early in the game. It's good to identify the defining features of each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.