Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Lee
Canada
vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi All,
I'm an avid board gamer and have a 7year old that I also play games with. I am looking to bridge the gap during his next couple years before I can get him into Agricola and more sophisticated games. We currently play:

Ticket to Ride (+ expansions)
Skip Bo
Uno
Castle Panic (he loves this one)
King of Tokyo
Ilium
Settlers of Catan (when we can get a 3rd player)

what would your next recommendations be?

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My boy is almost seven. He can play Splendor very well. He can also play most deck builders, including Dominion, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, and Star Realms.

Recently, I've been teaching him Stone Age, but he doesn't understand the strategy just yet.

He can play Jamaica without any adult assistance.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If he's into fantasy settings, Dungeon! is very simple and a great gateway into this type of games. It's also very cheap to buy, I think I bought a copy for my nephew for 12 bucks from CSI. Mice and Mystics is also another fun one, although a step up in complexity from Dungeon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2017!
mbmbmbmbmb
If the goal is something like Agricola (deeper Worker Placement) then I'll provide a second recommendation for Stone Age. Istanbul may be a good option as another stepping stone, as well as Five Tribes.

My daughter began with TTR, Carcassonne and Stone Age when she was 8. At age 11 she can play Agricola, but still loses every game. She's growing in understanding various strategies, and our growing library helps with that. But Agricola is pretty meaty, and it takes some time to fully understand it well, and know how to develop a winning strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lee
Canada
vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks guys,
I forgot to mention Splendor (which he loves),
I'll look into Stone Age and deck builders as I love deck builders. I'm okay with waiting a bit to introduce him to some games that require more reading.

Personally, my wife and I love Istanbul, I'm thinking that this might be a good one as there is little to no reading.

Any and all additional suggestions are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
Hustle Like Russell - 12th Man for Life!
badge
My height doesn't define my skill set. To be a great gamer, you have to have great leadership, great attention to detail and a relentless competitive nature - and I try to bring that on a daily basis.
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 year old has really liked Asara, it's a great intro to worker placement. It also gives them the opportunity to actually construct towers. Another game that I just introduced to him last night was Santiago de Cuba. It's a very simple pick up and deliver game that he has really liked and picked up very quickly. In fact he liked it so much that he set it up all by himself after we got home from church so we could play it again. Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broadbent
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jlee9 wrote:
Hi All,
I'm an avid board gamer and have a 7year old that I also play games with. I am looking to bridge the gap during his next couple years before I can get him into Agricola and more sophisticated games. We currently play:

Ticket to Ride (+ expansions)
Skip Bo
Uno
Castle Panic (he loves this one)
King of Tokyo
Ilium
Settlers of Catan (when we can get a 3rd player)

what would your next recommendations be?

Thanks,

My wife and I used to play a variant of Settlers 2-player. Start with a settlement and two cities. Each of you uses the pieces of 2 colors. And play to 15 points. The trading aspect is still damped, relative to more players, but that was always our least favorite part anyway. You might want to give it a try.

Some games my 7 year old loves include
Dixit
Frazzled
Mystic Vale
Less
Life
Connect 4
Best Treehouse Ever
Carcassone (in fact, he often wins this one)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeland
The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My seven year old girl loves to play World's Fair 1893 , Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King , and Splendor. Her strategy is not great, but as long as we focus on the fun aspects of play as opposed to who wins we do fine. She seems to get all the rules.

She also likes to get involved with deeper games, though more as a helper than a player. For example, she likes to help me play the solo version of Terraforming Mars. Her job is to draw and read the cards, which are quite interesting, and help me decide which ones to keep. She knows the we always draw four per turn, though does not get the more complex aspects of implementing the cards. We played through part of a two player game, though I had to walk her through everything and we never finished.

She does like King of Tokyo, but has trouble tolerating the tension of having to be in the center taking damage, though has no trouble trash talking when she deals damage to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A good way to go would be co-ops like Pandemic perhaps. All the cards are on the table and you can help with the moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Recommendations.

You'll get more recommendations here.

I can't see Castle Panic in your collection so not sure if you have Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower or Castle Panic: The Dark Titan yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Camel Up
Love Letter(i have the Batman variant, my 9 year old loves it)
Potion Explosion
Kill Doctor Lucky

they are all pretty gateway games with not a great deal of thinking involved and are very family friendly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest
Black Fleet
Hare and Tortoise
Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lee
Canada
vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Moved from General to Recommendations.

You'll get more recommendations here.

I can't see Castle Panic in your collection so not sure if you have Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower or Castle Panic: The Dark Titan yet?

We have the Castle Panic base game only. Will look into the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is 8 and he loves the space theme. So when I recently taught him the deck-builder Star Realms, he totally got into it. Not he wants to play it every day. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.