$20.00
Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NEXT SESSION : Wednesday October 19, 2016.
GAMES : There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? Gaming starts at 5 pm and goes until 10
COST: FREE!!
PARKING : Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the consensus on Terraforming Mars?

Played - T'Zolkin -- it had been awhile.
It was fun, but I was too slow in chasing the Ziggurats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrZoz wrote:

I played it a couple of weeks ago and it lives up to the hype. Its a game that builds. Things start out slow but the engines really ramp up. Lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great crowd last night. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to say hi to the Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) players who arrived a bit after I started playing.

Alain, Sylvain and I started out with Viceroy. It's a thinly veiled abstract game where you are building a "pyramid of power". Character cards placed more highly in the pyramid cost more to play but have greater benefits. In addition, you start with some "Law Cards" (and can recruit more) that can be placed for free and give you endgame bonuses or a choice of a variety of immediate benefits. Scoring comes from a variety of different areas and while I scored in them I didn't do particularly well in any of them, only having a lead in the VPs for scrolls category which was my focus the whole game. But, even my success there left me far, far behind in overall scoring with Pascal taking the victory with a wide lead over Alain and a much wider lead over me, the last place finisher.

Next, we pulled out James' copy of Via Nebula and gave this trainless train game a whirl. Sylvain had played it once and taught the game to us. It is a fun game with some interesting choices (I froze up once). At the beginning of the game you wished you had more actions to get things rolling but at the end of the game I felt like I wanted fewer actions in a couple of turns so that I wouldn't help anyone else. There is an interesting mix of building, network extension, opening up new sources of resources and delivering supplies to your building sites. I triggered the endgame by building my fifth building. Another interesting aspect of the game is that as you near the endgame, there is less of an incentive to open up new resource areas because any undelivered resources count against your score. In the end, Sylvain and I were tied on victory points for the lead but he won on the tiebreaker because I had more leftover resources (undelivered resources from a later game brick site I opened). Fun game, thanks for teaching it Sylvain and bringing it James.

Finally, I taught Longhorn a quick light mancala game by Bruno Cathala. The most interesting thing about this game is the scoring. As you take cows of different colors off the board you increase he number of cows you will be scoring but reduce the per cow scoring value. There is also a lot of strategy about where to move from turn to turn to try to avoid setting your opponent up for good actions (where actions are taken whenever a player clears a tile) or to set them up for bad actions). I set Alain up far to much and he creamed me. Well done Alain.

I saw lots of other great games played. These included Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar, Via Nebula, Terraforming Mars, and Spyrium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrZoz wrote:

I like very much the interplay of card play and board spatial placement. I tend to be a sucker for games that have some sort of spatial element and this one didn't disappoint me. At heart, it's a card game but one where many of the prerequisite require you to achieve a certain board condition (like a minimum O2 concentration which is linked to the number of greenery tile on Mars, or a minimum number of ocean tiles, etc.). You can just wait for the others to populate the board and help achieve your desired board condition, but you will not score points 'on the board' this way.

I also like very much how the 'awards' work, where any player can unlock an award (like the banker that gives points to the player with the most money production, or the miner who gives points to the player who has the most steel and titanium at the end of the game). The interesting part here is that you have to unlock the award during the game but then that opens up that award to all players. Therefore, it is possible for an award to be unlocked by player A, but at the end of the game, player B claims the victory points. Also, only 3 of the 5 awards can be unlocked and the third one costs more to unlock than the second and the second one costs more than the first. Quite an interesting mechanic that leads to more player interaction than you would think...

I have only played it 4 players and with default corporations so far though. I expect asymmetric powers will make it more interesting (if they are well balanced). I am not sure the spatial element would be as interesting with less than 4 players though - I need to try it with my wife at some point...

final verdict: I like it and will continue to bring it to OGG for the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.