Dave Clarke
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
So tonight two friends and I ran through the first scenario. I've been following the game since the Kickstarter, and am reasonably conversant with the rules & the clarifications that have appeared since the game landed. My friends came to it completely cold.

After setup I spent maybe 15 minutes explaining the rules before we started playing. Everything made sense & after about 3 turns I didn't need to refer to the rules again, other than to check how reinforcement works.

Each of my buddies played two characters each, with me as Overlord. The game took about 2 hours including rules explanation. I won't give a turn by turn breakdown, but the ending is worth recounting.

At the start of the final turn, all four characters were in the central space of the village, surrounded by the corpses of hyenas, Picts, and the snake, with Zogar Sag's head on the ground. Two Pictish hunters and two warriors were the sole survivors of the enemy forces, with the kidnapped girl discovered but unconscious in an adjacent wooden hut.

With most of their gems used, the heroes needed to figure out a way to get the girl from inside the hut & out of the village to safety. Hadrathus couldn't teleport while carrying her, and Conan couldn't leave the space because the warriors were blocking him. Shevatas could evade the warriors & get into the hut to pick up the girl, but he didn't have enough gems left to negotiate the hut doors and move all the way out of the village. Nobody had enough gems left to do all this AND confidently take out the two blocking warriors.

The players' solution was creative & highly entertaining: Hadrathus happened to have on his person an explosive orb, which he took upon himself to detonate in his (and everyone else's) space, doing 4 damage to everyone! The heroes took it on the chin, but the Picts were not so fortunate and perished in the blast. This allowed Conan to use his two free movement points and last two gems to smash openings in two hut walls so Shevatas could rush in, grab the girl, and leave the village with Hadrathus bringing up the rear - Zogar Sag's grisly head safely in hand.

It was a great ending to a fast paced swashbuckling adventure. Every character got to do important stuff and all contributed to the win in their own ways. As Overlord I was maybe a little conservative with my gems for the first half of the game, but was glad of the extras by the end so I could give the snake and Zogar Sag plenty of defence. In the end the game was won with literally the last action point the players had available, and I was 100% empty. Both players enjoyed it & would definitely play again - they both asked about campaign play but would be totally happy to play more one-off scenarios.

After a very long wait it was a great session & I can't wait for the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveClarke wrote:
Hadrathus couldn't teleport while carrying her

Kudos for recognizing that on your first play-thru. i didn't notice that he loses spell-casting until after the 3rd session!

DaveClarke wrote:
The players' solution was creative & highly entertaining: Hadrathus happened to have on his person an explosive orb, which he took upon himself to detonate in his (and everyone else's) space, doing 4 damage to everyone! The heroes took it on the chin, but the Picts were not so fortunate and perished in the blast. This allowed Conan to use his two free movement points and last two gems to smash openings in two hut walls so Shevatas could rush in, grab the girl, and leave the village with Hadrathus bringing up the rear - Zogar Sag's grisly head safely in hand.

Very clever.

DaveClarke wrote:
In the end the game was won with literally the last action point the players had available, and I was 100% empty.

That seems (based on reports) to be a common occurrence in that scenario. It speaks well about the scenario's balance.

DaveClarke wrote:
Both players enjoyed it & would definitely play again - they both asked about campaign play but would be totally happy to play more one-off scenarios.

The campaign book will ship in "wave 2" (sometime in 2017).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was 10 units of jealous that you got to play the game, after reading about that ending I am easily 21 units of jealous now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
IMCarnochan wrote:
I was 10 units of jealous that you got to play the game, after reading about that ending I am easily 21 units of jealous now.

And here I am, smiling, happy that I have it already, and jealous that you still have the joy of receiving it and opening the treasure crates and playing that first game ahead of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
DaveClarke wrote:

We had a very similar ending to our first game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1653509/first-play-after-re...

Those make for the best kind of endings, when everything depends on that last gem, that last die roll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Thomson
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a great game! My experience was the heroes getting beaten down pretty quickly by the Overlord. I think we approached it slightly complacently, thinking every character would be like Conan and could mow down minions with impunity. Actually, I suspect the heroes should be sticking together more and being very careful with their gems.

I'm very glad it worked well for you, and gives me more confidence in the scenario balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.