Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a google search and didn't see a thread for this. Do you have any fave roles whether it's for the ability or theme or artwork? Or any least faves? Why?

My fave is probably ones that incentivize lying for all players like the Troublemaker. To me it really makes the game when both good and bad distrust their teammates are lying. On the flip side of that, I'm not crazy on the Revealer since it takes away a revealed player's ability to bluff as much.

Hmm. I think I would like the With and Alpha Wolf a lot more too if I got to play Daybreak more often for the similar reason as Troublemaker. Oh but I dislike the Village idiot for its leftward/rightward utter chaos. And not crazy for PI cause a player could forget or lie about seeing a wolf or not and wish there was a token they had to flip or something to mark they used their pow ability or so.

But regardless still really love playing the game and it's various mixes of roles.

As for artwork, I love a lot of the artwork. Maybe Cursed looks coolest to me but also like some of the ONUV char art and wolves and other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite: Troublemaker.

It possibly is the simplest card with the greatest gameplay complexity.

Least favorite: Village Idiot

Too cumbersome to physically do. Too confusing when actually used - it's a very very powerful card, but it basically removes any semblance of reasonable deduction from the game at higher levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite is Tanner. It takes all the pressure off. I can be as weirdly shifty as I want and no one knows if I'm a Minion, Tanner, or Wolf.

Least favorite is Doppelganger. It makes the game take waaay too long, since we usually play with 8-10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, I hate doppelganger too. It almost doubles the night phase which is horrible and drags the pace of the game down -_-

The idea is interesting at least but I wish there was a smoother alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Salazar
msg tools
mb
got to be the Tanner. winning with the tanner gives me the most sense of accomplishment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
While the Troublemaker is a really good role to have in the game, I don't much like being the Troublemaker. Working out what to say when is fraught, and there's probably going to be at least one imposter also claiming they're the Troublemaker.

The Paranormal Investigator is a good laugh for all concerned. (-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Least favorite - Village idiot. too much to do in the time allotted and just general chaos.

favorite: tanner - lets newbies stuck with werewolf have doubt if they are a bad liar / story is falling apart...maybe they are the tanner and trying to make them look bad???

second favorite: THING! such a simple little mechanic and funny to watch someone to say i bumped you! No, no you didn't (he must be the wolf!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the Tanner. You can never be sure if you caught someone in a lie or if that's exactly what they wanted you to think.

Not crazy about the Curator. The Muting and the Shame are just a little too silly for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
I love the Drunk most of all.

My least favorite role is probably Village Idiot, but there's a handful of roles that I never play with, so it's hard to value which one is the "worst."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is the Cow from ONUA! I like to speak in cow puns!
But if we are talking just existing roles, I like the trouble maker. It is fun to lie about what switch you made. And if you can luck out and switch a wolf to the village team, they can throw their previous allies under the bus.

Least favorite is the Robber. I am not a fan of unintentionally switching myself onto the wolf team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
It's a good laugh when the Robber steals from the Tanner, though. We had a game last week in which four out of the seven players were claiming to be the Seer (the people who started the night as Seer, a Werewolf, Tanner, Robber).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Although I agree that the Troublemaker is the best role, I feel I'd enjoy Hunter most (I have yet to actually play it). Of course, being the drunk gives all sorts of role-playing possibilities. I love the idea of the Village Idiot, but it would only work if this actually got a full digital version.

Least favorite: Villager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Favorite would be a role where I hold some degree of power- be it as a Mason, a troublemaker, or even the witch.

Least would be villager, since it's pretty boring and you just feel like you're along for the ride. From a gameplay perspective they're very useful and someone has to take the fall and be them, but I hate when that person is me. Also, I'll second (fifth?) the Village Idiot. It's a fun role with 4-5 players, but it gets insanely difficult to quickly and quietly do with much more than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually enjoy being a villager because I can lie through my teeth to get information and if caught, I simply explain what Im doing!

Dislike village idiot. Not a fan of some others like hunter, masons, or revealer (no players role should be revealed at beginning of day phase).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Hmm. I fear there may be such a thing as too much deceit and intrigue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.