$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Crown of the Serpent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Hodsdon
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

More specifically, no, god dammit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rough one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hodsdon
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just mean the existence of the item in general. What were they thinking?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoSoup4you wrote:
I just mean the existence of the item in general. What were they thinking?
I devised a simple fix.
Let's compare this to some other cursed artifacts.
Cursed Orb -
: Roll 1 die. On 1 and 2, you are Cursed.
Massa di Requiem per Shuggay -
: Roll 1 die. On 1 and 2, advance Doom.

The Crown can also work this way -
: Roll 1 die. On 1 and 2, discard an Ally.

It doesn't become a good item this way, but at least it's not a such nightmare anymore.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
I'm probably the only one who kinda likes the Mystery? It's interesting.

Still don't like the item much though. It's usable, but Leo is too out of "the meta" (as the cool kids say) to be usable well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
I'm probably the only one who kinda likes the Mystery?
The mystery would be fine if not for the artifact that destroys the allies you're trying to gather.

Weltenreiter wrote:
Still don't like the item much though. It's usable, but Leo is too out of "the meta" (as the cool kids say) to be usable well.
I'm not sure if I understand. Are you implying that this item is better for Leo than for others? If so, why?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:
I'm probably the only one who kinda likes the Mystery?
The mystery would be fine if not for the artifact that destroys the allies you're trying to gather.

Weltenreiter wrote:
Still don't like the item much though. It's usable, but Leo is too out of "the meta" (as the cool kids say) to be usable well.
I'm not sure if I understand. Are you implying that this item is better for Leo than for others? If so, why?


Leo is great vs. Yig.
Not only is he good in wilderness spaces and expeditions, he can get allies easily and also recover lost allies.

If you get the serpent crown quest, the trick is to give the serpent crown to an investigator with no allies, who then seeks the needed clues, and have Leo get some allies. You then trade the allies to the investigator with the crown and, at the same turn, solve the mystery.

If a very good ally is lost to the crown, Leo can get them back from the discard pile using his ability
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I think Matt is just talking about the "Serpent Crown" artifact, not the "Crown of the Serpent" Mystery.

NoSoup4you wrote:
I just mean the existence of the item in general. What were they thinking?


So, is there any good use for the Serpent Crown if you happen to acquire it randomly, outside of the "Crown of the Serpent" Mystery? Or does everyone just look at it and say, "Oh no! I don't want this!!"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hodsdon
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been heavily against houseruling games for difficulty purposes, but I'm probably gonna take that card out for all non-Yigs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
But I think Matt is just talking about the "Serpent Crown" artifact, not the "Crown of the Serpent" Mystery.

NoSoup4you wrote:
I just mean the existence of the item in general. What were they thinking?


So, is there any good use for the Serpent Crown if you happen to acquire it randomly, outside of the "Crown of the Serpent" Mystery? Or does everyone just look at it and say, "Oh no! I don't want this!!"


It's one of the few bad artifacts that have negative effects and niche positive effects. Technically it does do something, probably just not enough. You can either house rule/remove or just accept that eldritch horror was designed to occasionally screw you over.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
"Occasionally".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hodsdon
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but screwing you over as a reward for succeeding is bullshit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoSoup4you wrote:
I've always been heavily against houseruling games for difficulty purposes, but I'm probably gonna take that card out for all non-Yigs.

I modified the card by adding the following to the card:
If the Ancient One is not Yig, discard and draw another Artifact.

But then again I have no issue with house rules - maybe because I owned the first release of the first edition of Mansions of Madness
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.