Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools

I am making my own DIY Cards for Battletech: Alpha Strike

I know that I can laminate the cards and use dry erase markers, I am wondering if there is any known spray coating that would allow me to do the same?

These are 3x5 cards to make them easier to read.

Any suggestions or stick with lamination?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about spray, but you can buy white board contact paper by the roll. You could easily cut and affix to cards. Problem with dry erase is that it wipes off pretty easily. I don't know how well it will work with cards that are getting handled and shuffled often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All you need for something to be a suitable sirface for dry-erase markers is for it to be a high-gloss surface (and not susceptible to the solvents in the markers, but most things aren't).

I use a gloss acrylic lacquer for sealing printed board game components - if I spray two coats over smooth paper, I can use dry-erase pens on it with no problems. Texture in the paper ruins it because it gives little pockets where the ink can stay in the ridges of the texture.

That said, by far the simplest method of making cards dry-erase is to put them in sleeves. The outer surface of cheap penny sleves and of every name-brand regular sleeve I've tried - Ultra-Pro, FFG, TMG etc. - is a perfectly good dry-erase surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I did not know that 3x5 sleeves are available. I will have to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turbocooler wrote:
I did not know that 3x5 sleeves are available. I will have to check.

Sleeves are available in a huge range of sizes. Off the top of my head these are the closest proper gaming-sleeve type sleeves to that size (3.5x5"):

https://www.maydaygames.com/collections/card-sleeves/product...

These are a closer fit but not quite the same as gaming sleeves:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-81182-Toploader-25ct/dp/B00...

And there's a load of sleeve-like covers in that size that will probably work just as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Vinyl-Inch-Recipe-Covers/dp/B00...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And, you want to use wet erase markers, not dry erase markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kursplat2 wrote:

I'd be tempted to suggest OHP pens, in fact. They behave just like permanent markers, except that you can erase them off of glossy surfaces with a plastic eraser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thank you, looking at them right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
HA! I had to search "wet erase markers" I did not know the difference and now I do. I will pick some up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
Kursplat2 wrote:

I'd be tempted to suggest OHP pens, in fact. They behave just like permanent markers, except that you can erase them off of glossy surfaces with a plastic eraser.

Searching on "OHP pens", many results are for wet erase markers, since overhead transparencies are the primarily place where I've seen them used.

But, your description of being permanent and erased with a rubber eraser does not seem to fit with wet erase markers, so I looked a little further and I think you are referring to what I see described as "permanent OHP pens". The wet erase pens would be considered non-permanent OHP pens.

I did not know these pens existed. I haven't compared the prices and don't know the pros & cons between them, so can't weigh in if one or the other makes more sense for this use. I suspect either one would suffice and they would both do a better job than dry erase markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kursplat2 wrote:

I did not know these pens existed. I haven't compared the prices and don't know the pros & cons between them, so can't weigh in if one or the other makes more sense for this use. I suspect either one would suffice and they would both do a better job than dry erase markers.

Definitely both are a better option than dry-erase. The advantage of rubber-erasable ones is largely that it's much easier to control exactly what gets erased. I use them sometimes for NPC/mook stats in pen-and-paper roleplaying; I'll have cards with empty mini character sheets - just enough to run a fight, generally - and put them in sleeves, then I can grab the cards, fill in the relevant stats for whoever is in the fight, mark off stress boxes/hitpoints/whatever as usual and then when the fight is done just erase the relevant bits ready for the next one. If I used wet-erase, I'd end up having to write out all of the stats again for each security guard or goblin or whatever - with dry-erase I can easily just wipe the wounds off and leave the rest of the mini-sheet alone.

Also wet-erase is more likely to get smudged over your table and/or whatever else is underneath the sheet, while these just leave easily-sweepable eraser debris.

(This does work best with quality sleeves, mind - cheap penny sleeves crumple under the eraser if you're too vigorous!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.