Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Wright
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Naming Convention
So we have started our campaign, and I have known for months what I'll be naming my things (Russian theme. I.E. Space missions, Historical figures, nuclear disasters, etc.). My wife had a good heads up, and finally (mid-game) decided what to name her things after (Once Upon a Time) and one of the guys based his empire naming scheme after the movie The Last Samurai (Since he picked the Japanese looking guy in the prologue.) And the last person hasn't picked yet.
So It got me thinking, what have you all named your nations after?
A movie/series
A Book/series
A TV Series
A Historical nation/people
Historical Events
Famous Artwork
Music Related
Theatrical Related
Board Games Related
A General Mishmash of Pop Cultural References
I Arduously agonize over each name, making each name fit perfectly
I don't care
I have no real plan
Other
      57 answers
Poll created by tecslicer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be starting my campaign soon and one of my friends is pretty strict about naming the islands. None of that silliness you are suggesting. Real names for the time period. Make it real.

I will have to see who breaks first in our game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've only played the prologue, and for me it's been comic book/Netflix/movie related. But then I had to stray away a bit with one advisor:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Ray Reddington
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether it is Risk Legacy or Seafall anytime a game lets me name a land I always have to have one named Otisburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary g
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pen Island.

Every Legacy-genre game shall have a Pen Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger Man
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
Have posted this before but this...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spacecraft_in_the_Cu...

Something for everyone in there...

'Pure Big Mad Boat Man' is a favourite but I am in Scotland and am therefore biased

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fonts.

In the seventies, the Guardian newspaper published an April Fool's day travel supplement on the island nation of San Serriffe. I lifted this whole cloth for the first island, and things rather took off from there.

Our map now features Comic Sands, the Colony of Italica and Baskerville Atoll among others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have tried to research 17th century English, French, Dutch, etc. surnames and first names

For example, we have the Catchpole Supply Co. (aka the supply sideboard) and the Green Man tavern where the retired advisors hang out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran Briggs
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having played it yet I dont know if you can name the ships. If so one of my first will be Boaty McBoat Face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Dalla Valle
Germany
flag msg tools
I think, I will go with a "spanish" naming theme, meaning that islands and places will be named after catholic holidays and saints. I really want to have an "isla de todos los santos".

You can also create great advisor names by altering the (already lovely sounding) names of spanish conquistadors or by just adding the name of their birthplace. Who wouldn't want to have "Vasco Nú~nez de Balboa de Jerez de los Caballeros" as his advisor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Torell
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Android:Netrunner videos: http://www.peachhack.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm naming everything after people and places in the Myst series of video games (yes, the classic point-and-click adventure/puzzle games). In the prologue I named my province D'ni, my leader Atrus (I also gave him the last name Miller as a shoutout to Rand Miller), my large ship was named Achenar, my small ship was named Sirrus, and so far I have named my first two islands Myst and Riven. Also, as luck would have it, I was able to get the green-colored province with the ship icon, which is all about seeking knowledge and the exploration of new worlds. I found that to be rather apropos to the D'ni, and have been going hard on exploration so far in our games.

Also (post-prologue spoilers):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
after the prologue, I chose a dark-haired woman as my new leader and named her after Catherine, Atrus's wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Auchtung
msg tools
mb
I've decided to name my advisers after philosophers. Who better to lead the attack than Jomini or Niccolo Machiavelli? Who better to advise the court than Socrates or Cato the Younger? I've not thought much about the ships or islands, and don't know what else there is to name, but perhaps hometowns of my advisers for the locations, and schools of thought for the ships. The HMS Stoic has a nice ring to it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Levins
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Rolling dice and taking grains!
badge
Rolling dice and taking grains!
mbmbmbmbmb
mattauchtung wrote:
I've decided to name my advisers after philosophers. Who better to lead the attack than Jomini or Niccolo Machiavelli? Who better to advise the court than Socrates or Cato the Younger? I've not thought much about the ships or islands, and don't know what else there is to name, but perhaps hometowns of my advisers for the locations, and schools of thought for the ships. The HMS Stoic has a nice ring to it...

Why not the Existential Dreadnought? Or Pascal's Wader? (My likely boat names.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night during our first regular game, I named one advisor Dora, after the kids show. I just "had" to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucus Trout
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhat as inappropriately as possible I'm thinking of naming things after Dune. My province, Caladan (on Caladan we ruled with Sea and Air Power). I've been waffling on whether to name my leader Leto or Paul. I'm not 100% where I'll go from there.

The other choice is the Lies of Locke Lamora series, which I like but I'm far less familiar with the world. Plus there is a lot less source material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lucusvonlucus wrote:
Somewhat as inappropriately as possible I'm thinking of naming things after Dune. My province, Caladan (on Caladan we ruled with Sea and Air Power). I've been waffling on whether to name my leader Leto or Paul. I'm not 100% where I'll go from there.

The other choice is the Lies of Locke Lamora series, which I like but I'm far less familiar with the world. Plus there is a lot less source material.

One can never go wrong with a Dune naming scheme. Do it! I would personally go with Leto I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.