Subject: OCT '39-MAR '40: What to Do? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the benefits of monthly turns is that there is a better feel for the ebb and flow of combat operations vs. WWII strategy games with quarterly turns.

The downside; however, is coming up with a good plan for what to do during the early lulls.

I like to strat move, and regular move, over two infantry armies to the Danish border. Assuming Poland drops in Sept, if October rolls good weather I grab Denmark early to get that extra pro-Axis chit into the diplomacy cup early.

I've also been wondering if a winter war in Yugoslavia could help take the pressure off the preparations for the eastern front after France falls. Replacement points are plentiful, and I don't see the Allies having enough extra troops to effectively turn Yugoslavia into a quagmire. The downside being if the troops cannot get back to the west in time for the French invasion.

Anyone have success trying to accomplish something in that sometimes lax early game winter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beware fighting in the Balkans during bad weather. It can play out much more like WW1 than WW2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't actually tried the Yugoslavia gambit yet.

I'm running through a game now, and I took Poland on a shoestring so I could be set-up to take Denmark before winter if the conditions permitted.

Once I did that, I started thinking of other ways I could try to squeeze a little bit more out of the almost 6 months of inactivity before the "real" war started.

Yugoslavia stood out because of how big a pain it is right before the east front opens. I figured the downside is winter making it really hard to make progress, but those six months have little for Germany to spend on so it might be worth the risk.

After I thought of that, I decided I'd start a discussion here to see if anyone had come up with something novel to try during the opening period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FuManchu wrote:
Anyone have success trying to accomplish something in that sometimes lax early game winter?

I don't actually have much experience in west first, but I've read some people have had success attacking France already in 1939.

The one time I tried, taking Yugoslavia was not that hard in the winter. Maybe I got lucky.

Why are you going for Yugoslavia anyway? Especially after France when Italy's status has probably been decided, the possible benefits seem barely worth the strat war penalty to me. That is unless you're trying to get Turkey as an ally, but for that Romania -> Bulgaria seems like an easier route than Yugo -> Greece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how diplomacy is going, sometimes Germany needs the extra diplo boost to push Romania/Hungary/Italy over the edge to Ally.

The one time I tried to limit the Axis to 6 countries invaded, it felt a bit restrictive. With Poland, Denmark, Norway, and France that only leaves two others. Yugoslavia/Greece would be the natural ones to leave out, but the diplomacy boost for doing so is more useful than it is for Belgium/Netherlands. The next time I play I may leave out Denmark and Norway, but the SW boost against England is hard to pass over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FuManchu wrote:
The one time I tried to limit the Axis to 6 countries invaded, it felt a bit restrictive.

For me it feels very unrestrictive when you can actually afford to use Luftwaffe in the late game with the +2 instead of +3 for Soviet SW I on the other hand don't find most allies worth much (Italy and Turkey are the ones that matter).

Skipping Norway makes no sense since it is useful in both SWs, but unless I'm forgetting something, Poland + Denmark + Norway + Netherlands + Belgium + France is 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is.

I was going under the assumption that Denmark/Norway, Netherlands/Belgium, and Yugoslavia/Greece naturally pair up.

Since the Axis is highly likely always to take Poland/France, if you want to stay at 6 conquered nations, you get to pick two of the above groups a la carte.

I think how good or bad diplomacy is going determines how necessary Yugoslavia/Greece is.

Agreed on some of the allies, particularly Bulgaria. Diplomacy, though, can really go badly against Germany if the chits come out a certain way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FuManchu wrote:
I think how good or bad diplomacy is going determines how necessary Yugoslavia/Greece is.

Agreed on some of the allies, particularly Bulgaria. Diplomacy, though, can really go badly against Germany if the chits come out a certain way.

In my opinion Germany mostly needs any couple of allies to have enough defenders for the more minor ports, maybe a couple of armies in Russia are useful to have (Italy and Romania are enough for me). Italy is good for the plane, and the navy/Africa using up British resources. Turkey is useful for the good chance it gives to take Egypt/Iraq. It is a bit awkward to attack Russia without Lithuania or Romania being part of the front, but I've done it successfully.

I find allies are even less useful for the Allies, so I don't see much need to use the conquests defensively (Italy is an exception). I'd actually take the +2 sw and Turkey or Spain on the enemy side rather than +3 without.

After France any conquests also have very little time to affect much before diplomacy shuts down anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.