"My wife and I know we have to make a few sacrifices for our marriage to work, but the animal shelter people are beginning to get a little suspicious."
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday at 7:30am CT I’ll be having a “chat” over coffee with the CEO of a local sports simulation software company. He saw my resume on LinkedIn and was intrigued by my flight simulation background. He’s looking to hire some full- and part-time software engineers (I think they must have signed a big contract recently, but that’s just speculation), and wants to have a chat with me.

I told him I don’t have any experience with AWS (Amazon Web Service) or cloud computing, which was what was mentioned on the company website. He appreciated my candor on my skill set, but still wants to meet anyway. So that sounds good.

I don’t expect to walk out of the bagel place with a job offer, but I would like to make a good enough impression that he keeps me in the mix for future consideration. My wife and I have agreed that if he does make an offer, then or later, that if it’s at least 80% of what I’m making now, I’ll quit my warehouse job, which is taking its toll on my health, both physically and mentally.

Anyway, I know I’m posting late, but any prayers, good thoughts, or positive vibes you can send my way tomorrow morning will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the company is located here in metro KC, so I wouldn't have to leave town for the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thoughts sent your way! *crossing fingers, toes and eyes for good luck*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prayer said, and good thoughts thunk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Denney
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your request has been fulfilled. Keep us posted, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenpence nonthericher
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck! Hoping good comes out of the interview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By now your chat is over and I hope you do walk out of that bagel place with an offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Luck! I hope everything went Great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"My wife and I know we have to make a few sacrifices for our marriage to work, but the animal shelter people are beginning to get a little suspicious."
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your prayers and good thoughts!

Quick update: I gotta get ready to go in to work for a half-day, but I can tell you the talk went well. It turned out it was more of a "meet and greet" for the CEO and one of his other managers -- both of whom were about 20+ years younger than me. They mostly asked questions about my background in software.

Towards the end I asked what their "pain point" was, and they said they were looking for cloud infrastructure people. I said I would go straight home and start studying.

They said they would not be making a decision any time this month, but that I should keep in touch until they do.

More later, after work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
Thanks for all your prayers and good thoughts!

Quick update: I gotta get ready to go in to work for a half-day, but I can tell you the talk went well. It turned out it was more of a "meet and greet" for the CEO and one of his other managers -- both of whom were about 20+ years younger than me. They mostly asked questions about my background in software.

Towards the end I asked what their "pain point" was, and they said they were looking for cloud infrastructure people. I said I would go straight home and start studying.

They said they would not be making a decision any time this month, but that I should keep in touch until they do.

More later, after work.

Awesome. Cloud Infrastructure isn't rocket science. You'll get the hang of it quickly.

I live in the cloud all day everyday and it can be as complicated or as simple as you design/architect it.

Feel free to ping me if you have any questions.

~Allen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vibes and prayers sent...kaZAA! Good luck!

Quality of life improvement is sometimes worth a pay cut, been there done that.

Off topic, but your avatar reminded me we recently saw the neighborhood theater's rendition of Young Frankenstein.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valien wrote:
Awesome. Cloud Infrastructure isn't rocket science. You'll get the hang of it quickly.

I live in the cloud all day everyday and it can be as complicated or as simple as you design/architect it.

~Allen

Allen:

Where should I get started learning about the subject? Do you have any recommended books I should read? Is there some sort of on-line course for "cloud computing certification"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Denney
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based off your request, I am guessing an offer was made.
Congrats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaMed wrote:
Based off your request, I am guessing an offer was made.
Congrats.

No, no offer. Just thought it would be prudent to start learning something more about cloud computing, so that when I contact them again in a couple of weeks, I'll be able to say that I've been studying or started certification or something similar. That will hopefully show them I'm still interested in the job, and that I am willing and able to learn new things that would benefit their company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Denney
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. Well, my apologizes on jumping the gun. I will, however, pray that the door to the job remains open for you and that the training goes well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
Valien wrote:

~Allen

Allen:

Where should I get started learning about the subject? Do you have any recommended books I should read? Is there some sort of on-line course for "cloud computing certification"?

AWS has a ton of training resources that are either free or really cheap. I recommend digging into a few of those. AWS certification is also pretty hot in the marketplace as well.

Azure has some nice online demos/tutorials as well and are pretty solid.

Best thing overall is to just start reading up on IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, Virtualization, Security, etc. They all tie into the 'cloud world'.

And you can't go wrong with throwing up a small VM someplace on AWS just to get a feel of how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.