Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad McGown
United States
Pittsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all! I played this wonderful game a couple of days ago and fell in love. I played the Kickstarter version of the game, which was awesome. I am looking to pick it up myself, but am unsure what kickstarter stuff I would be missing by buying just the two core sets and the Cynder set.

I have looked on coolstuffinc.com and there seems to be a TON of other little enemy expansions and other expansions. So, did all of those little expansions that I see for sale come with kickstarter backer pledges?

My second question is regarding the future Kickstarter that I have been hearing rumors about. Does anyone have any information regarding this? Will there be a way to get the stuff from the first Kickstarter as well?

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a whole bunch of detail on the old kickstarter page about what did and didn't come with the KS pledges.

I'd offer more detail but... I still don't have any of it beyond the base set either, so I've got no better idea what it's going to be exactly! Sadly those who've bought it via retail are probably more familiar with the contents and what is / isn't available from the KS project.

That said, plenty of game in the base boxes, so not a bad place to start.

The new KS is set to launch after the first one (finally) delivers - although given that was rumoured to begin in October, but no updates have been made since August, I think it's safe to say that won't be happening until 2017 now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you had pledged as an Outlaw ($180ish) you would be getting in addition to the base game about $145(think roughly 40%) of what's available on Cool Stuff Inc. In addition to that if you pledged minecart ($475ish) you would be getting almost everything on Cool Stuff Inc minus a couple of enemy sets. This would mean that you would be getting everything on CSI but the Swamp Slugs, the Hell Vermin, and the Trun Hunters(I think this was additional in the pledge manager). Furthermore, if you went in for 1.5 shipping ($40 if U.S.), you would have a bunch of goodness including Belial, 3 new classes(Drifter, Orphan, Prospector), a bunch of alternate minis, several card packs, and a handful of enemies outside of what is available on CSI. Finally, if Minecart you would have almost everything that will be available (ostensibly by the middle of next year) in addition to what is available. This excludes Swamp Slugs, Hell Vermin, and I think Trun Hunters.

That is more or less what the difference/similarities are. There is no indication that SoB items would be available in the Forbidden Fortress kickstarter. They took a pretty big hit for what they gave minecart backers. If they offered SoB items in the next kickstarter you would almost certainly* have to pay more than what you would pay on CSI.

*what I mean by that is 99.999999% certainly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
If they offered SoB items in the next kickstarter you would almost certainly* have to pay more than what you would pay on CSI.

I would expect a discount over CSI prices, certainly not the deal the original kickstarter had but enough to make it worth it.

If CSI prices were cheaper people would just wait for retail since there would be no reason to put money up front for 1-2 years before seeing a product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, the ONLY Kickstarter exclusive item was the Outlaw class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to highlight one thing: Cynder is something of a let down. It only has 3 minis and the other stuff it adds is relatively uninspiring - maybe that's in part because you get penalized for any clothing items the character wears (because it's hot there). Anyway, you might be better off spending that money on some of the other small box enemy expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wetworks wrote:
njep wrote:
If they offered SoB items in the next kickstarter you would almost certainly* have to pay more than what you would pay on CSI.

I would expect a discount over CSI prices, certainly not the deal the original kickstarter had but enough to make it worth it.

If CSI prices were cheaper people would just wait for retail since there would be no reason to put money up front for 1-2 years before seeing a product.

The more I think about it, this seems like a possibility, except for the fact that it will hold up kickstarter fulfillment. It takes them about 3 months to ship to everyone, and that is in large put due to the wide variations in what they have to pack. Admittedly the 1.5 shipping mixed in will make the logistics of wave 2 a bit more complex. Plus that is more product that they will be dependent upon to be in their hands.

I think they learned enough that it will be down to making the right calculations. I guess it makes sense since the expansions for FoFo will be in large part the same for SoB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As someone who has essentially re-created the Minecart pledge purely from retail, I can say that the money adds up fast.

I don't have an exact 1:1 mapping to Minecart, but I do have a lot of SoB. I haven't added everything up explicitly, because then I would know exactly how insane I am, but I estimate around 800-1000 USD.

Note that the comparison to a Minecart pledge isn't as simple as this because you need to account for the time value of money going back 2-3 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Friedmutant wrote:

As someone who has essentially re-created the Minecart pledge purely from retail, I can say that the money adds up fast.

I don't have an exact 1:1 mapping to Minecart, but I do have a lot of SoB. I haven't added everything up explicitly, because then I would know exactly how insane I am, but I estimate around 800-1000 USD.

Note that the comparison to a Minecart pledge isn't as simple as this because you need to account for the time value of money going back 2-3 years.

And that's only for what is currently available (though for that total, I'm assuming you also have what was available as GenCon previews). There is still more coming out that is not available at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was only one kickstarter exclusive: the outlaw class.
Everything else will eventually be available at retail, or directly from the frogs.
But, many of the things from the original ks are still in the works.

The new ks is for a fully compatible stand alone expansion that uses the same rules but is set in feudal Japan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
For what it's worth, the ONLY Kickstarter exclusive item was the Outlaw class.

Whhaaaaattt! Outrageous! How dare they? Must have it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.