Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
mbmbmb
Before I pass on Geek of the Week, I'd like to thank everyone for their responses and support. It was an unexpected honour to be nominated, and I had a lot of fun answering everyone's questions.

When it came time to nominating the next Geek of the Week, I immediately thought of someone who inspires me because of his contributions to the hobby, as well as his incredible passion and energy for using games to help those in need.

I'd be hard pressed to name a more genuine person, or someone more deserving of the title. Everyone please welcome JR!

JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Howdy! I'm JR, and I'm a relatively new entrant to the hobby board game world. Although I've played Magic since I was in grade school, I played my first hobby game (Settlers of Catan!) when I was 28, about 5 years ago. I was living and working in Chicago for a start-up, and commuting home to see my lovely wife, who I discovered was a lifelong lover of board games! The friends I made in Chicago continued to introduce me to the modern "classics" - Ticket to Ride, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Smallworld, Lords of Waterdeep - until I moved back home and started my own collection with a generous gift from those friends. As you can imagine, 10 games quickly became 50 became 100 became 500, and now I sit here at my desk surrounded by games that I love.

Today I'm a game designer and developer at Artana (Tesla vs. Edison, Chronicles, etc), and I help develop various Legacy games (SeaFall and some upcoming releases). I run a gaming podcast and a game review website and co-host two video shows about gaming, Back It! (about Kickstarter campaigns) and The Nerd Nighters (about our community of game players, co-hosted by ACE and previous GotW Stephanie Straw!).

The thing I'm most proud of us the DFW Nerd Night community that has been built by the work of my wife and I, and many of our dear friends (including one of your mods, the great Andrew Christopher Enriquez). DFW Nerd Night is a community organization with about 4000 people in it that serves to "Play Games and Help People", and through free gaming events we've organized with charity partners almost $100,000 has been raised for local and national non-profit agencies. We host a charity auction with BoardGameGeek at BGG.Con each year, as well as a giant free party at Gen Con (and soon, Origins!). It's an awesome organization to be a part of, and of course it's amazing to work with the folks at these amazing events.

I believe that games bring people together, and provide a context through which we can make ourselves vulnerable and learn to trust each other much more quickly and wholly than we do in our everyday lives. Because of this, I think the friendships and communities built around board games are strong and healthy, and lend themselves to amazing work in our local communities.

The people I've met playing board games are brilliant, generous, kind, and resourceful - the kinds of people everybody would be lucky to be surrounded with. This hobby and these people have been the best part of my life for almost five years now, and I couldn't be happier about it.

Huge thanks to Phoebe for nominating me for Geek of the Week - it's a great honor!

Poll
What is JR lying about?
I once helped run a hedge fund
I've gone skydiving more than 30 times
I opened for Aerosmith in concert playing Guitar Hero
      147 answers
Poll created by MissJekyll

And now some questions to get the thread rolling!

1 If you could travel to any time and place for a day, where would you go?

2 If you could only own one board game, what would it be?

3 Steak or wings?

4 What was the last book you read? Did you like it?

5 What was the last movie / TV series you watched? Did you like it?

6 If you could be instantly amazing at any one activity / skill, what would you choose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
Mentre su New York calavano le prime ombre della sera...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, JR, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations JR. Hope you are having a great week!

What is your favorite spaceship? And why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations JR! Enjoy your week thumbsup

Here's my usual questions:
What's the weirdest thing that's happened while you were playing?
What's your favorite comic/manga (if you have one)?
If you could have one superpower what would it be?

Thanks! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations JR!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations J.R.!

We love your writing contributions on the League of Gamemakers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Zang
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a guy!

I realized that I don't know what JR stands for! Can you share that, or is it a deep dark secret?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Congratulations JR!

Dolph Ziggler - great fantasy league wrestler or GREATEST fantasy league wrestler?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats JR!

What's your favorite ice cream flavor?
What's the best game you can think of that no one has made yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Shaw
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Congratulations, JR!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations JR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Woot, two friends in a row got GotW!

Congrats JR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hoye
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I love playing pretty much anything except war games! I'll try 'em all.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations JR!

What has been your favourite charity game event so far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Squared
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I am the one thing in life I can control. I am inimitable, I am an original.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

What's your favorite game that you've contributed to in some way?

What do you look for in a playtester?

What are your three favorite conventions?

Do you have a favorite BGG moment of something cool that happened somewhere on BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And now some questions to get the thread rolling!

1 If you could travel to any time and place for a day, where would you go?

This is an almost impossible question to answer. I think it would be fun to pull a Tom Sawyer and attend my own funeral. I bet the food would be pretty good, and I could make ghost noises.

2 If you could only own one board game, what would it be?

This is a hard question, and something I answer every year on my blog:

2014 http://www.nerdstable.com/2014/11/ten-games.html
2015 http://www.nerdstable.com/2016/01/TenGames2015.html

For a long time I would have said Betrayal at House on the Hill, for all the cinematic moments it creates and for all its replayability. This year though, it drops to number two - the answer is now Mega Civilization, a game I adore and have played 10 times since I got it at BGG.Con 2015.

3 Steak or wings?

For one meal? Steak. For all meals forever? Wings. Steaks are best enjoyed when they're a rarity, when they mean something and the ambiance reinforces the experience of eating them. Also, my wife would kill me if I ate red meat every day, assuming that I didn't have a heart attack first.

4 What was the last book you read? Did you like it?

I'm in the middle of Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" series. It's pretty good, though it's certainly a slog.

5 What was the last movie / TV series you watched? Did you like it?

I just finished season 6 of Parks and Rec, which I'd never really watched before. It's unbelievably good. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal. The show starts a little rocky in season 1, but by the end of season 2 it's good for at least one laugh out loud moment each episode, and the characters are the kind you fall in love with.

6 If you could be instantly amazing at any one activity / skill, what would you choose?

Growing up in Texas, the only dream I had until I got to college was to be the quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys. At 32 years old and a bit overweight, I think I've finally given myself permission not to achieve that one. So that's the answer - if I could instantly become great at being a QB, that'd be awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Owens
United States
Saginaw
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I have a question!

What's a game you really like that might surprise people? Like, it doesn't really fit with the kinds of games you normally like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Levandowski
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, JR! I second the what does JR stand for question. I don't know that one - and I knew which one of those three was a lie.

Also, what game do you wish you had been given the chance to develop in order to work out a few kinks from an otherwise great game? (Feel free to skip if you don't want to call out a game.)

And which designer would you love to do development for (who you haven't worked with already)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocab wrote:
Congratulations JR. Hope you are having a great week!

What is your favorite spaceship? And why?

Thanks! Enterprise-D. She's the first ship I ever loved, and the one that still makes my heart skip a beat when I see her unexpectedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kintarouji wrote:
Congratulations JR! Enjoy your week thumbsup

Here's my usual questions:
What's the weirdest thing that's happened while you were playing?
What's your favorite comic/manga (if you have one)?
If you could have one superpower what would it be?

Thanks! meeple

1) I was once at a tiki bar in Tulsa, Oklahoma playing "Scorpion Strike" - a version of Strike where you first drink all the tequila from a ceramic Scorpion Bowl before you play Strike IN the scorpion bowl - and a lady who was leaving the bar wanted to play with us for a round. She threw one die from about 20 feet away, with at least two people, a metal fence, and bunch of bushes between her and the table. Not only did she land her die in the bowl, but she paired up with the starting die, AND the next person rolled all X's on their roll to get knocked out. It was incredible.

2) I'm not really in the comic book world, but my favorite comic book characters are The Flash (DC) and Captain America (Marvel). It's been nice getting to know those characters better through their on-screen personas, and I try to read their comics when I can!

3) I think about this often. Aside from "omnipotence" as the "more wishes" answer to this question, I think I'd want the power to reverse time by 10 seconds. It's a little like save spamming, and I think that would be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations JR!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?

I believe it's Kvothe, with Harry Dresden as a close second, and Zemenar from Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest series as dead last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LL Games wrote:
Congratulations J.R.!

We love your writing contributions on the League of Gamemakers!

I should have mentioned that in my bio! Thanks Luke
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxers or briefs?

Granola or Grape Nuts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zangzabar wrote:
What a guy!

I realized that I don't know what JR stands for! Can you share that, or is it a deep dark secret?

It stands for James Robert. I'm named after my grandfathers, each of whom served in the military. I was like the 30th grandkid in my family, so I think my parents were just looking for names that weren't already taken. They called me JR right away, and it's always been that.

Sometimes I think it's really weird that my name is just the sound of two letters, but then I remember that names are just sounds people make when they want your attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Congratulations JR!

Dolph Ziggler - great fantasy league wrestler or GREATEST fantasy league wrestler?

GREATEST, obviously! There was a moment during his win-or-retire match with The Miz where I was just thinking about how weird our drafts would be without Ziggler - like the year that Adrian Peterson or Tom Brady weren't in the NFL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
Congrats JR!

What's your favorite ice cream flavor?
What's the best game you can think of that no one has made yet?

1) Phish Food, from Ben & Jerry's. A high school girlfriend got me hooked on it and it's always been the flavor of remembering simpler times. Plus it has little fudgy fish inside and also swirls of caramel and marshmallow creme.

2) I've yet to see a great game about colonizing the solar system, and I'd really enjoy that. A 4X game set right inside our little neck of the woods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.