Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Leadership Skill and Skills in general rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens Stiefele
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

Yesterday we played our first round of Conan.
It was good fun and I think that the principles of the game are quite good. Also the materials are great. I love the minitaures and the boards, tokens etc. Great job on that. The only thing that really bothers me and my friends is the rule book(s). They are shit. I am glad that the are working on an updated version at the moment, but I didn't expect something like that, especially because it went to FFG for a check. There were some gaming situations we couldn't figure out by reading the rule book. Enough of the bitching here are two questions for you guys and I hope you can help me.

1. Can you use skills (like leadership) if you are in cautious stance?
2. Using leadership - How we played it: The player playing Belit pays 1 gem and then moves Conan two spaces (his basic movement) and attacks once. Does that affect the player who's playing Conan? Or can he still move and act normally? I understood it as kinda mind control/remote control.

Would love some clarifying on that.

Cheers in advance!
Dready
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) strictly no, since only guard and rerolls are allowed in cautious stance, but i can see it could be allowed given its support nature, something for a faq i guess.

2) given the heroes can play out their actions in any order, its fine to have conan act, then let belit use her leadership on him, then let conan continue to act, but conan can only get his basic movement points once per turn wether by belit or his own move.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Leadership is used by Belit to command her Guards. She activates them the same way as the Overlord does for his minions (it costs her 1 Gem).
She cannot command other heroes (like Conan), since they have a human player controlling them already .

Note: in Howard's novel, Belit has absolute command over all her crew, who follow her fanatically. But not on Conan, because he's the hero.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel K
msg tools
Leadership works with "allies" only.
As statet in the Heros Book there are some Allies in the core-box:

5x Belits Guard
1x Princess

You can't control Conan, nobody can control Conan!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario Vazzana
Italy
Foligno
Perugia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: while thinking for an answer, others already did provide it! What a community!

Dreadycopter wrote:

1. Can you use skills (like leadership) if you are in cautious stance?

My guess is yes, as long as the skill doesn't involve using an action different from Guard and Reroll. Leadership is not and don't use Action spaces.

Quote:
2. Using leadership - How we played it: The player playing Belit pays 1 gem and then moves Conan two spaces (his basic movement) and attacks once. Does that affect the player who's playing Conan? Or can he still move and act normally? I understood it as kinda mind control/remote control.

Leadership permits control of ALLIES. I think it refers to figures that came along with their leader character (such as Belit guards) and they have a tile for their stats, unlike HEROES. Anyway, you should check the scenario (for example, in "Infernal Pursuit part I, some pirates are allies and have their own special rule).
Conan & other named characters (belonging to Hero players, such as Shevatas, Belit and so on) are always referred as heroes and they have a character sheet. They are not allies and cannot be controlled by the Leadership skill.
In addition, it comes to my mind another possible misconception: i think that "friend character" is different from "ally":
Friend Char = Unit on your own side (heroes are friendly to each others, same thing between minions and villains)
Ally = Unit companion. His behavior is ruled in the scenario.

Too bad Hero rulebook doesn't mention allies at all. I hope FaQs and/or incoming reprints will do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KlarkD wrote:
Too bad Hero rulebook doesn't mention allies at all. I hope FaQs and/or incoming reprints will do.


It does, actually, in the component list (Guards and Princess). Granted, it's not explicitly marked as a keyword, just a component description, so whether or not that is intended to really mean "these are the units which count as Allies" is an open question
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Frey
Germany
Wiesbaden
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
In the first scenario Belit is the suggested 4th player-character. We were wondering, if she always comes with at least some guards on her side because without any "allies", Belit falls a little short in comparison to the other heroes in terms of stats.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zintars wrote:
In the first scenario Belit is the suggested 4th player-character. We were wondering, if she always comes with at least some guards on her side because without any "allies", Belit falls a little short in comparison to the other heroes in terms of stats.


IIRC, she has no Guards if used as 4th extra hero in the 1st scenario. She has some if the scenario specifies it (Hunt for the tigress etc).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clarke
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
People have been really bashing the rules but in many ways they're quite good. The Hero & Overlord books themselves give you the absolute basics while the specifics you need in a scenario are given in that scenario - Bêlit's guards being a good example. It's really quite an efficient way of doing things, and gets you playing the game as quickly as possible without bogging you down in rules you might not need.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
Leadership is used by Belit to command her Guards. She activates them the same way as the Overlord does for his minions (it costs her 1 Gem).


Not exactly: Leadership activates ONE ally model, whereas the Overlord activates all minions of the matching base/tile color. This is not quite as explicit in the rules as i'd like, but if you think through it, it makes perfect sense: if 1 gem activated all the guards, she would be spending only 1 gem to activate 15 movement points and 5 orange dice of attacks, which would be sorely out of balance with the rest of the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveClarke wrote:
People have been really bashing the rules but in many ways they're quite good. The Hero & Overlord books themselves give you the absolute basics while the specifics you need in a scenario are given in that scenario - Bêlit's guards being a good example. It's really quite an efficient way of doing things, and gets you playing the game as quickly as possible without bogging you down in rules you might not need.

Human nature. Some people prefer bashing/panicking (and it's even easier when you haven't even tried to read the rules and play a game). Others are less emotional.

sgbeal wrote:
Roolz wrote:
Leadership is used by Belit to command her Guards. She activates them the same way as the Overlord does for his minions (it costs her 1 Gem).


Not exactly: Leadership activates ONE ally model, whereas the Overlord activates all minions of the matching base/tile color. This is not quite as explicit in the rules as i'd like, but if you think through it, it makes perfect sense: if 1 gem activated all the guards, she would be spending only 1 gem to activate 15 movement points and 5 orange dice of attacks, which would be sorely out of balance with the rest of the game.

Correct. 1 Gem per ally mini.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Stiefele
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot guys for the quick replies.

My bad, I misstook heroes for allies :-P

@Ze Masqued & Dave: The book is okay but I am used to better ones. It just doesn't live up to the expectations that's all I am saying. The rest of the game is outstanding.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadycopter wrote:
@Ze Masqued & Dave: The book is okay but I am used to better ones. It just doesn't live up to the expectations that's all I am saying. The rest of the game is outstanding.

There is definitely room for improvement in the rulebooks, I think everyone agrees on that .
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
DaveClarke wrote:
People have been really bashing the rules but in many ways they're quite good. The Hero & Overlord books themselves give you the absolute basics while the specifics you need in a scenario are given in that scenario - Bêlit's guards being a good example. It's really quite an efficient way of doing things, and gets you playing the game as quickly as possible without bogging you down in rules you might not need.


"Quite good" apart from omitting something here and there in the english version. It's kind of annoying (to say the least) to pause the game from time to time to check the matching words between the 2 versions.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clarke
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kitanota wrote:

"Quite good" apart from omitting something here and there in the english version. It's kind of annoying (to say the least) to pause the game from time to time to check the matching words between the 2 versions.


Yeah, it's far from perfect. The revised rules will be a welcome addition when they appear.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trastion
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Will they be sending me a copy of the revised rules? I think they should. I don't like having to print out a complete rules pdf as it won't be in color and on nice stock.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trastion wrote:
Will they be sending me a copy of the revised rules? I think they should. I don't like having to print out a complete rules pdf as it won't be in color and on nice stock.


https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/conan/posts/1...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Just got the game today so wading into all this stuff now...

I feel like I must be missing something really obvious but what exactly do Belit's Guards do? I understand she spends 1 energy to activate one but what are its stats? There's no tokens or boards for them as far as I can see... How much do they move? What is their attack value? Can they do anything besides move and attack?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clarke
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Just got the game today so wading into all this stuff now...

I feel like I must be missing something really obvious but what exactly do Belit's Guards do? I understand she spends 1 energy to activate one but what are its stats? There's no tokens or boards for them as far as I can see... How much do they move? What is their attack value? Can they do anything besides move and attack?


There's a token for them among all the Overlord stuff, which gives you all their stats.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
DaveClarke wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
Just got the game today so wading into all this stuff now...

I feel like I must be missing something really obvious but what exactly do Belit's Guards do? I understand she spends 1 energy to activate one but what are its stats? There's no tokens or boards for them as far as I can see... How much do they move? What is their attack value? Can they do anything besides move and attack?


There's a token for them among all the Overlord stuff, which gives you all their stats.


I thought I searched through all of them but I must have parsed through such a lot of game content I managed to overlook it. Thanks a lot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
KlarkD wrote:
Too bad Hero rulebook doesn't mention allies at all. I hope FaQs and/or incoming reprints will do.


It does, actually, in the component list (Guards and Princess). Granted, it's not explicitly marked as a keyword, just a component description, so whether or not that is intended to really mean "these are the units which count as Allies" is an open question


In the pirate ship scenario with the mutinous pirates, we treated the mutinous pirates as allies too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvo Calvo
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello friends:

Can Belit perform action "defense" to add given to the defense of an ally when the ally is attacked?

It can be improved in some way the defense of allies?

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calvoroso wrote:
Hello friends:

Can Belit perform action "defense" to add given to the defense of an ally when the ally is attacked?

It can be improved in some way the defense of allies?


In thread 1656447 BadKam, from Mololith says yes:

BadKam wrote:
Just to complete the answers, a character with the Leadership ability can also spend gems to gain extra movements (1 gem = 1 movement points) for their allies, and they can spend gems to defend them (1 gem = 1 orange die).

This will be cleared in the new version of the rulebook.


1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvo Calvo
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
calvoroso wrote:
Hello friends:

Can Belit perform action "defense" to add given to the defense of an ally when the ally is attacked?

It can be improved in some way the defense of allies?


In thread 1656447 BadKam, from Mololith says yes:

BadKam wrote:
Just to complete the answers, a character with the Leadership ability can also spend gems to gain extra movements (1 gem = 1 movement points) for their allies, and they can spend gems to defend them (1 gem = 1 orange die).

This will be cleared in the new version of the rulebook.




And can add "reroll" actions?

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvo Calvo
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Where those worn gems are placed in the area of ​​fatigue or box defense action or movement?

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.