$30.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Thief's Market» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Once per round" cards affecting "your pile", and extra purchase cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marwan Badawi
France
LIFFRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have a couple of rules questions regarding some of the mechanics.

1 - Assuming I have white gem and a red gem at the end of Phase 1 and I buy the "Corrupt Official" with my white gem, can I immediately buy another card in this round? I'm assuming yes, and that's how we've been playing it.

2 - A lot of cards allow flipping dice or spending dice from "your pile" "once per round". The "Coercion Coordinator" allows to exchange a blue gem for an infamy token, or the "Bondsman" allows to flip a red gem die into a loot bag die. But what does "your pile" and "once per round" mean: can I use these cards during Phase 1? Even when players are still splitting the loot? Can I use them out of turn (i.e. when somebody steal my pile)? Or can we only use these during Phase 2? The way we've been playing it is each player can use these cards on their turn only during Phase 2.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Cai
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have the rulebook with me and I'll edit it if necessary when I have access to it.

1. I believe the rulebook/guide states that you can. IMO, the cards which enable you to buy another card for having one coloured gem in your pile are meant to take effect in that same round. For that matter, the cards which give you one infamy token also specifically state that they take effect for that round, including for buying that particular card.

2. My reading of the rulebook is no. It is not so much of turn, but phase. You are not allowed to flip or spend dice during Splitting of Loot. Rather, I think the only cards that are in play during the Splitting of Loot phase, are the cards that cause your dice to not be re-rolled, when they normally are, and give you one infamy token when your loot is stolen from you.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. I should reread the rules, I have always been playing no. The card says "at the end of the splitting loot phase..." you didnt own the card at that time, so I dont see how you should get the bonus.

2. No. You use your card abilities during the buy phase unless the card specifies otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Normally "at the end of the splitting phase" means you need that gem type (or other X thing with other cards) BEFORE the buy phase begins. However, on the back of the rule book, the specific rule for these cards state (This may be used the same turn you purchase this card, if applicable). So, YES you can buy a second card immediately after buying this card. HOWEVER, you still would have had to had that gem type in your pile at the end of the splitting phase for this current round. If, for example, you bought the Corrupt Official with a Gold Token, as you had no White Gems at the end of the splitting phase, you wouldnt have the requirements to buy a second card on this turn. (I've been playing this wrong all this time, I thought you couldn't use it immediately).

2. No (much shorter answer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Badawi
France
LIFFRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, as suspected the short answers are 1-yes and 2-no.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions everyone.

Keep looting! bag

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.