Subject: Should I buy a lot of party games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
I like most games but lately I've played a few party games. I noticed most of the popular ones are not really gamer games, but just for laughs and entertainment.

I am not sure if the main groups I play with would like these. I have a group who are all real gamers so they may not like party games. Then I have casuals who rarely play any Euros or newer style games.

Another are complete strangers at meetups.

Should I buy Apples to Apples, CAH, Telestrations etc. then?

I like socializing but also competitiveness. I don't know if I like playing a lot of games just for laughs.

Can someone recommend the best and most fun top 5 party games knowing I am primarily a gamer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 1000 Blank White Cards
2. Codenames or Codenames: Pictures
3. The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon or One Night Ultimate Werewolf
4. Splendor
5. Dixit or Dixit Odyssey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games we replay at when we have a big group at Game Day

1. Bang the Dice Game
2. Secret Hitler or Resitance
3. Codenames
4. Spyfall
5. Cash and Guns

Nanuk,
Captian Sonar,
Pictominia,
La Boca,
Las Vegas,
Mysterium,
Citadels,
Space Cadets Dice Duels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
Thanks, these seem to be a good combo of party and strategy type games which have more meat that AtoA or CAH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Party games are my least-liked subdomain, but there are several party games I do enjoy.

There are several good suggestions so far. 5 other games I'd recommend that haven't been listed are:
1. Telestrations, a comercial re-implementation of the free-to-play Eat Poop You Cat
2. Sheriff of Nottingham
3. Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition
4. Concept
5. Shadow Hunters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It REALLY depends on how much actual entertaining you'll be doing. There are definitely some good party games, but there are way more than you need, so I would be careful about buying A LOT if I were you.

Short list of games that I personally enjoy
Codenames
Bang the dice game
Sushi go!
Coup
FUSE

a previous poster had

Captian Sonar,
La Boca,
Las Vegas,
Citadels,

which I don't know are "party" games, but would definitely appeal more to a gamer group - I've been dying to try Captain Sonar, but needs 8 people.

When I was getting into gaming, I got a bunch of simple games to play with my friends, most of which do NOT get much play, and I feel like an idiot for getting them. Now, there is a place for all games in the right situation, which will be the main determiner in whether or not you "should" buy party games.

A couple of my non gamer friends really liked pandemic (sorta not a party game, but worth mentioning)

one night ultimate werewolf-can be fun, but I dislike it because a former teammate can out you and you immediately lose-not so fun if you're a gamer

Codenames-Actually a really great game but needs people who like word association (usually not a problem with gamers, but worth mentioning

Concept- more "game" than codenames, haven't played, but seems like fun. Longer, but word association like codenames except with all sorts of pop culture/sports/word/history instead of just relating words together.

Fuse is all about communication-you're all trying to "diffuse" bombs but each person can only take one die, so you have to communicate needs and strategy all in the space of 10 minutes only-there's a timer and an angry british lady pleading with and mocking you the whole time .

I've not played and heard setup is pretty long, but I've heard Zombie 15 isn't necessarily for hardcore gamers but can be tons of fun for others.

Resistance-one I never get to play and I'm sad I bought it. It does work REALLY well with gamers that like hidden traitor games. That said, there's no game here, just constant accusations and deductions. Resistance is sci-fi, Avalon is middle ages, both are a bit pasted on, but go over really well in certain groups-worth looking at.

Bang the dice game: fun, short, quick, not a ton of strategy but would go over fine with gamers (has hidden roles: good, bad, and out for themselves) - ONLY the dice game though as player elimination sucks, and regular bang can drag.

I hear good things about spyfall,it's short and quick, and leads to really silly and fun questions about the locations (only one person each round is NOT at the location with everyone else, and has to try to answer vaguely but acceptable enough to survive)

Take a look at love letter. It's only 4 player, but plays really quick, can be good for non gamers, hardcore euro players won't usually care for it, but ones who don't mind casual can enjoy it-I do : )

Sushi go! This is a fun, quick little set collection game. Decent amount of randomness, but there IS a game here unlike most party games. Definitely worth looking at, one of my favorite little games.

Dixit: people hate on this, I've never played, and it seems like it might play out quickly, but it also seems like a good alternative to CAH/AtA (there are points too if you're competitive)

Sheriff of Nottingham is a game misconstrued as a bluffing game. It's a deal-making, bribery game instead, which changes its tone and how much fun it is. Worth looking at for sure.

Coup is definitely a bluffing game, and can be pretty tense. One of the bad things about it is you can just totally be screwed by odds. That said, I've definitely had some fun playing this : )

ABSOLUTELY NOT- AtA(pretty much only okay with kids), I would say no to CAH (gimmicky and just about getting you to say terrible things), and MAYBE telestrations(I've ended up crying from laughter with teenagers)-It's fun to play with kids, and gets really silly if people can't draw, which is fun, but not a gamer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have enough casual gatherings that party games come out a lot. If I had only the four following games, it would probably be enough: Codenames, Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition), Say Anything and Telestrations.

Those four come out way more than any others.

Telestrations is more of an activity than a game, so you can't be competitive in that one. The others works just fine.

I personally really like Pictomania and Shadow Hunters, but they need the right crowd.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
All good suggestions thanks!

I'm debating whether I should buy more than one of Funemployed, CAH and Telestrations party pack etc. I should not buy them all though I am tempted to.

I got Codenames, Pictomanaia, Say Anything and Sheriff of Nottingham.

I'm hosting a meetup group of what I assume are casual gamers this Saturday. Party games may be good but I probably will play other gateways like TTR, Catan or Carcassonne too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.