13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a "heavier" game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paula Z.
msg tools
Hi guys
I'm looking for a new game, but one of at least medium weight.

What I need:
- something that works for 2 (and then, from 2 to 4 or 5 - and scales nicely)
- something of low upkeep/maintenance during the play (if there are many things to be taken care between the turns, then it's a big NO - like changing resources in Agricola, which I immediately replaced first with Caverna and then with Fields of Arle).

What I like:
- Lewis & Clark
- Tzolk'in + prophecies
- Fresco + all the expansions
- Fields of Arle

And I'm looking for something of similar weight, that make you think for a while and has a lot of inter-depending elements, but does not require a lot of "work" with elements between turns. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower scales well for 2-6 players. It has the resource conversion similar to your other favorites and adds bidding and transport. There is a lot to do but way too little time so there is a lot to think about.

The upkeep before each of the four seasons consists of placing out new tiles but if you sort the components properly (the game recommends this and even provides plastic bags) it doesn't take long at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on a Railways of the World kick again. scales well between all players and although it really has simple rules it is a thinking game.

Sticking with classics, Power Grid deluxe: Europe/North America offers a really well done two player mode and scales up to 4 well... 5 and 6 get a little long, but still plays well.

-m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Suburbia should work if it's medium enough for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark angel
United Kingdom
East Riding of Yorkshire
East Riding
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Mombasa. It's probably my game of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Brown
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Islebound hands down!Islebound
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john rees
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forged in Steel
Excellent game, played with 3 and 4 so far cant see it would be any problem for 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
Trickerion: Legends of Illusion. Heavier, but not too much upkeep between turns. Enjoy it at 2. I think it plays 4 max though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars , Signorie , or Mombasa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olson
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
My wife and I love Trajan.

I think it scales really well, with a 2 player game feeling just a bit less cramped. There is no real direct player interaction (only vying for position/resources on the board), so if that turns you off, then it may not be for you.

The game is played over a "year" and there is some upkeep at the end of each "quarter year". Since the game is over after the 4th "quarter year", this upkeep is only at 3 times during the game (the length of which I would estimate at about 30-45 minutes per player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
To recap, you want something mid to heavy, but not fiddly during the game (comparable to Caverna). But you don't mind fiddly setup (Fields of Arle):

The Gallerist has quite fiddly setup, but not worse than Caverna during the game. It is a heavy game, but is still very thematic and so much fun to play. I can't recommend this game enough to heavy gamers.

Terraforming Mars is a mid weight engine building game, with low fiddlyness all around. During game play you adjust production rates by moving cubes on your player board, and between rounds you draw cards and get income and resources based on your board settings. I don't think that's fiddly - it's one of the best parts of the game - but YMMV. We played this last night: so much fun!

You might research and watch a playthrough of A Feast for Odin, which looks to be similar to Fields of Arle in terms of fiddlyness (big setup, more streamlined play).

Edit: I misread your comment RE Caverna, but my recs above still stand: these are less fiddly than Caverna, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
olliesons wrote:
My wife and I love Trajan.

I think it scales really well, with a 2 player game feeling just a bit less cramped. There is no real direct player interaction (only vying for position/resources on the board), so if that turns you off, then it may not be for you.

The game is played over a "year" and there is some upkeep at the end of each "quarter year". Since the game is over after the 4th "quarter year", this upkeep is only at 3 times during the game (the length of which I would estimate at about 30-45 minutes per player).

Trajan's between-rounds upkeep is exactly what the OP is trying to avoid I think. Yeah it only happens 3 times but there's more of it when it happens so it seems to require similar effort to Agricola's. Some ideas:

Eminent Domain has no distinct rounds and therefore no inter-round upkeep. Plays 4 but is good with 2. There are a number of different strategies to pursue that can be equally effective, although the possibilities and interaction open up more when adding Eminent Domain: Escalation.
But it's a deck-builder and therefore you get new cards at the end of your turn. That's a tiny amount of upkeep, but maybe you'd consider it death by a thousand cuts.

Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia - also no rounds. 2-6p.

Istanbul - no rounds. I'm sensing a pattern. 2-5p.

If you're up for something heavier than those The Gallerist also has zero upkeep. It's a solid step or two up in complexity from the others though, so make sure it's what you want. 1-4p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is one of the classics of the genre and scales effortlessly from 2-5 with far less fiddliness than Caverna and no round-end upkeep (except you have to move the Provost and Bailiff which is very quick to do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.