Scuttle!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AY Ronny
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While I don't think most of the players will ask the questions below, there are some questions arise when I play this amazing game.

1. Jolly Roger - Does the player need to reveal the drawn card to let other see if it is a treasure or not?

2. Governor - Will this card makes all J, Q, K, A cards become a treasure with 4 doubloons and cannot be played as permanent?

3. Grog - Does "pick up" means return to its controllers' hand?

4. Mutiny - Can a player choose J, Q, K, A as number?

5. Shiver me timbers - Are J, Q, K, A and Joker odd number or even number?

6. Captain Bluebeard - Can a player choose J, Q, K, A or Joker as number?

7. Catbeard the Pirate - what happen to those revealed card after you chose which to play?

8. Madame Ching - Do I need to have the require card to resolve all the effect? Or can I just play 1 card as treasure and ignore another half of the Madame Ching's effect?

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll do my best from what I know...

1. Like many games with a rule like this, you'd either show 1 or more people enough to prove what the card is (the number/letter), or if you trust everyone just play honorable (honor among thieves )

2/4/5/6. Only cards with numbers (treasures) can have their number affected. So J/K/Q/A cant be worth anything and cant be targeted by cards affecting numbers.

3. Sounds correct to me.

7. Revealed generally means shown and then kept, so they should stay in the persons hand (besides the one that is chosen to be played).

8. I'm not sure on this one. But if you're just playing half of the ability, why not just play that card on its own (the single treasure of permanent) ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AY Ronny
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer!

For question 8, I have to play that card because my opponent is digging up a swap hand card from the discard pile and want to swap my cards with his empty hand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mb
1. Jolly Roger - Does the player need to reveal the drawn card to let other see if it is a treasure or not?

In tournament play: yes! In casual play: it's up to the group. (We tend not to, but if you'd rather play by the strictest of strict rules: you reveal.)

2-7.
Brad is entirely correct in his answers!

8. Madame Ching - Do I need to have the require card to resolve all the effect? Or can I just play 1 card as treasure and ignore another half of the Madame Ching's effect?

You may ignore an effect if it's impossible to resolve!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Brice
United Kingdom
Edgeley
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another question.

In Scurvy, if the disease you put out at the beginning of the game is Sea Sickness how is this resolved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mb
It immediately gets shuffled back into the deck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Elliott
China
flag msg tools
1) Do diseases stay in play between rounds of War of the Pirates?

2) Does Black Spot prevent Ghost Pirate/Catbeard/Firestarter Kelly/Black Jack etc if the discard pile's/revealed/destroyed/drawn cards are all permanents?
2b) If they are treasures with permanents, can you play them as permanents?

3) Do Cooties come into play for Ghost Pirate/Catbeard/Firestarter Kelly etc?

4) Does Scurvy hit a minimum value of 0, or go negative?

5) Does Sea Sickness affect cards protected by Pox?

6) Does Typhus/Pox affect multiple equal highest/lowest cards?

7) What if you are dealt a disease into your hand gulp at the start of the game?

8) What if Sea Sickness is the last card in the deck in a War of the Pirates?

9) Does Summoning count as drawing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gigigun james
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
3. Grog - each opponent mut either pick up 2 of their cards or discard a card.

if i choose to discard a card, then
the card should be from my hand or could be from the cards in front of me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan C
msg tools
mb
Finally got around to playing our first few games! Got stuck on catbeard, but saw description above. But still confused on one card.

Madame Ching - the text is a little weird. "play 1 card as a permanent and 1 card as a treasure." Is the intended meaning this...."Play 1 permanent card and 1 treasure card"? Otherwise...what does play "as a permanent" mean? Can you play ANY card as a permanent? That doesn't even seem to make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathan118 wrote:
Madame Ching - the text is a little weird. "play 1 card as a permanent and 1 card as a treasure." Is the intended meaning this...."Play 1 permanent card and 1 treasure card"? Otherwise...what does play "as a permanent" mean? Can you play ANY card as a permanent? That doesn't even seem to make sense.

Both the original wording and your wording makes sense but both also remain ambiguous. The original wording makes it seem like you can play any card for permanent/treasure even if it doesn't have that stat. Which is confusing. Your wording on the treasure card makes it seem like you can simply play any treasure card, but doesn't mention if it's for its value or is ability (I think it must be for its value only).

So my wording is this...

Play one card for its permanent ability and play one card for it's treasure value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan C
msg tools
mb
Ah yes...I see what you mean. Well done. Thanks ks sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mb
PerforatedEar wrote:
1) Do diseases stay in play between rounds of War of the Pirates?

They do!

PerforatedEar wrote:
2) Does Black Spot prevent Ghost Pirate/Catbeard/Firestarter Kelly/Black Jack etc if the discard pile's/revealed/destroyed/drawn cards are all permanents?

It does! Those cards specify "play".

Quote:
2b) If they are treasures with permanents, can you play them as permanents?

You cannot!

PerforatedEar wrote:
3) Do Cooties come into play for Ghost Pirate/Catbeard/Firestarter Kelly etc?

Yup! Play is play, whether it's from an action or by a card.

PerforatedEar wrote:
4) Does Scurvy hit a minimum value of 0, or go negative?

Minimum value of 0.

PerforatedEar wrote:
5) Does Sea Sickness affect cards protected by Pox?

Yup! All protected cards.

PerforatedEar wrote:
6) Does Typhus/Pox affect multiple equal highest/lowest cards?

It can!

PerforatedEar wrote:
7) What if you are dealt a disease into your hand gulp at the start of the game?

The order of events should have been clearer - you shuffle diseases into the deck AFTER everyone draws.

PerforatedEar wrote:
8) What if Sea Sickness is the last card in the deck in a War of the Pirates?

My sister just ran into this in a regular game! I'll be releasing an errata - when you cure, you may also shuffle the discard pile back into the deck.

PerforatedEar wrote:
9) Does Summoning count as drawing?

It does not!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mb
gigigun wrote:
if i choose to discard a card, then
the card should be from my hand or could be from the cards in front of me?

"Discard" always refers to cards from hand! Cards in front of you are "destroyed".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mb
Braffe wrote:
Play one card for its permanent ability and play one card for it's treasure value.

This interpretation is 100% correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manting Cheng
msg tools
When it says: destroy all, does it affect yourself also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mb
Kersje86 wrote:
When it says: destroy all, does it affect yourself also?

It does!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manting Cheng
msg tools
o man, that makes the game more interesting. Thanks Peter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.